Imagine if you will for a second, and you walk into a mobile store. You ask for the latest Android device, and the sales person offers you a BlackBerry. (Quit laughing I know sales people, never recommend BlackBerry's) You reply with, "but I asked for an Android phone, like a Samsung that runs Android." The sales person again offers a BlackBerry. As a consumer, and knowing that the name BlackBerry is no longer what it once was, you walk out with a shiny new Samsung. After all, why would you buy a BlackBerry Android phone? For the "Security" remember the average consumer couldn't care less about security. Because of the hub? And who cares about the Hub? iOS and Android phones sells by the millions without the Hub...

So why would a consumer buy a BlackBerry running Android, when there are plenty other devices out there that have better marketing and is embedded in consumers minds? And if a slider is in fact the next BlackBerry phone, who's buying this aberration. Slide out the keyboard only in portrait mode, how do you type in landscape mode? With a virtual keyboard....

If BlackBerry comes out with a Andorra phone, they better hope the name on the outside is Samsung. Something like Samsung Galaxy X with BlackBerry...
    igor10000 and anon4164832 like this.
    06-12-15 12:02 PM
    I think Android should make the handsets with BB10...That way i'd get my virtual kb and BB10
    06-12-15 12:09 PM
    'Blandroid'...

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 12:10 PM
    This relies on the premise that an Android BB phone would be geared towards consumers. Chen is still enterprise focused. IMHO such a phone would just be another option for companies to have an end-to-end solution supported by BB and still use and manage their enterprise Android apps.
    06-12-15 12:12 PM
    This relies on the premise that an Android BB phone would be geared towards consumers. Chen is still enterprise focused. IMHO such a phone would just be another option for companies to have an end-to-end solution supported by BB and still use and manage their enterprise Android apps.
    If BlackBerry comes out with a Android phone, that's a big F U to developers of BB10. You think there is an app problem on BB10 now, wait until this happens. Those who are left, will be gone on to Android and/or iOS.
    06-12-15 12:21 PM
    BlackBerry biggest problem will be what to do with the extra sales and money they will get by making an android phone. I know many ex BlackBerry users who love BlackBerry but want apps and are now using samsung phones. I don't know anyone using iphones anymore but I am sure some will make the switch to a BlackBerry android as more and more people are leaving outdated iphones.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 12:34 PM
    If they sell the Android phones under the name QNX then there's hardly an issue.

Posted via CB10
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    06-12-15 12:38 PM
    If BlackBerry comes out with a Android phone, that's a big F U to developers of BB10. You think there is an app problem on BB10 now, wait until this happens. Those who are left, will be gone on to Android and/or iOS.
    That happened already. During the last year they encouraged developers to move to Amazon app store. They are still giving this message on their dev site
    06-12-15 12:43 PM
    as more and more people are leaving outdated iphones.
    iPhones Sold...
    (Sequential Change) (Year/Year Change)
    2014 Q1 - 51M (+51%) (+7%)
    2014 Q2 - 43.7M (-14%) (+17%)
    2014 Q3 - 35.2M (-19%) (+13%)
    2014 Q4 - 39.2M (+12%) (+16%)
    2015 Q1 - 74.4M (+90%) (+46%)
    2015 Q2 - 61.1M (-18%) (+40%)

Yep, lots of people are leaving iPhone...
    Last edited by GoJaysGo; 06-12-15 at 02:08 PM.
    06-12-15 12:45 PM
    If they sell the Android phones under the name QNX then there's hardly an issue.
    It's a worse issue than BlackBerry, at least some people have heard of QNX. Outside of this forum, fanboys and techie, no one has heard of QNX. Why would you buy a QNX phone, from an "unknown" company when you can buy a Samsung? At some point the sales person will say, oh QNX, is part of BlackBerry...
    igor10000 likes this.
    06-12-15 12:47 PM
    Comparing 2014-2015 sales I don't know how you got -18!!! Clearly bigger number than last year same quarter!

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 12:55 PM
    Comparing 2014-2015 sales I don't know how you got -18!!! Clearly bigger number than last year same quarter!

Posted via CB10
    I got the answer right from the Apple financials. It's comparing the previous quarter, and 61.1M is 18% less than 74.4M... not comparing same quarter last year...
    21stNow and Coachbulldog like this.
    06-12-15 01:19 PM
    iPhones Sold...
    2014 Q1 - 51M (+7%)
    2014 Q2 - 43.7M (+17%)
    2014 Q3 - 35.2M (+13%)
    2014 Q4 - 39.2M (+16%)
    2015 Q1 - 74.4M (+46%)
    2015 Q2 - 61.1M (-18%)

Yep, lots of people are leaving iPhone...
    Either he doesn't pay attention to iPhone sales reports, or he's smoking some powerful ****. Either way, LOL!
    06-12-15 01:19 PM
    I got the answer right from the Apple financials. It's comparing the previous quarter, and 61.1M is 18% less than 74.4M... not comparing same quarter last year...
    Yes your numbers are right but the comparison is not. Apple doesn't make a multitude of phones every year so Winter they get a tremendous spike from the new Iphone introductions and then every quarter thereafter as immediate demand is filled, sold per quarter gets lower until another spike same period the next year. Comparing quarter by year to year shows demand is increasing.
    solitude1984 likes this.
    06-12-15 01:34 PM
    Only BlackBerry. I want no android period.

  
    06-12-15 01:43 PM
    That's why the Slider is important. It will provide a compelling (or at least marketable) argument as to the *why* you should look at this Android device made by BlackBerry.

And if they get Samsung to help them market it, then damn. I mean, the Samsung marketing firm is the master of turning gimmicks into gold mines. Can you imagine if they had an actual real practical feature to base their marketing?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 01:48 PM
    Imagine if you will for a second, and you walk into a mobile store. You ask for the latest Android device, and the sales person offers you a BlackBerry. (Quit laughing I know sales people, never recommend BlackBerry's) You reply with, "but I asked for an Android phone, like a Samsung that runs Android." The sales person again offers a BlackBerry. As a consumer, and knowing that the name BlackBerry is no longer what it once was, you walk out with a shiny new Samsung. After all, why would you buy a BlackBerry Android phone? For the "Security" remember the average consumer couldn't care less about security. Because of the hub? And who cares about the Hub? iOS and Android phones sells by the millions without the Hub...

So why would a consumer buy a BlackBerry running Android, when there are plenty other devices out there that have better marketing and is embedded in consumers minds? And if a slider is in fact the next BlackBerry phone, who's buying this aberration. Slide out the keyboard only in portrait mode, how do you type in landscape mode? With a virtual keyboard....

If BlackBerry comes out with a Andorra phone, they better hope the name on the outside is Samsung. Something like Samsung Galaxy X with BlackBerry...
    Good points all but I truly believe if Blackberry puts out a great first Android device (shudder) and market is the way Samsung does theirs, they can do it. They need to hit it hard though. If they handle marketing like that have in the past, they might as well give up before they start. As someone on another board sort of suggested, get some BB Ambassadors in the schools (kids), and you'll move the world.

While you're at it, get some senior citizen ambassadors. Shoot, if they can use it, think how many of their senior friends might try it. It just have think outside the box
    06-12-15 02:04 PM
    Yes your numbers are right but the comparison is not. Apple doesn't make a multitude of phones every year so Winter they get a tremendous spike from the new Iphone introductions and then every quarter thereafter as immediate demand is filled, sold per quarter gets lower until another spike same period the next year. Comparing quarter by year to year shows demand is increasing.
    Thanks for that, I've updated the numbers...
    06-12-15 02:08 PM
    No longer a growth market.

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    06-12-15 02:48 PM
    The only way I see this working is if it's a Samsung phone with a BlackBerry physical keyboard.
    06-12-15 02:50 PM
    No matter what BlackBerry does its not going to get past the stigma of the old BBOS.

We can have the best internals and externals on a phone and it won't sell because of the name.

If the name brand can be revived some how then things will be different. But the fact that people associate BlackBerry with BBOS and not BB10 and how good it is, these phones will still not sell.

The name itself has to be fixed first before the masses will even think of coming back to use a BlackBerry. This we all know is the truth and the real reason why.

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 and rlnv like this.
    06-12-15 04:42 PM
    If the Slider is released with Android, I do hope they will also release a BB10 version.
    06-12-15 05:11 PM
    You have to find a niche.

Android's niche is cheap. People who have the coin to go drop on a 6 Plus generally go do it. If you go into the market trying to sell droids, you are competing against every other Droid manufacturer out there to sell a commodity. That is a fight BlackBerry cannot win.

IOS is the designer OS, the one you go into the department store and pay 10X-15X what a pair of Walmart jeans cost for the tag on the back. Blackberry cannot win that space either.

Which leaves what? Security. Is the market for that as big as "cheap" or "cool"? No, but it exists and it dovetails nicely with the enterprise mission. Now how exactly you keep this space is up for debate, but android isn't the answer.

If I was CEO, I would be hammering the security angle 24/7. I would never have made the moves with regards to BlackBerry World that Chen has made. There would be no android runtime. You simply would not be able to install any app to a BlackBerry which you could not control permissions on.

BlackBerry protected would come standard on every phone.

I would make a concerted effort to make sure that about 25-30 relevant "name" apps were available on the platform.

...the company would live or die based on security.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty and MBrettH like this.
    06-12-15 05:44 PM
    I think Android should make the handsets with BB10...That way i'd get my virtual kb and BB10
    What.. ?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-12-15 05:49 PM
    Let's play out what's going to happen when a Anberry or Blackdroid launches from a company known for releasing half baked product:

Android fans: hm... leaving Sammy for this, yeah right. Did I say that BlackBerry was dead?

BlackBerry fans(divided):
    One extreme: screw you, BlackBerry!
    Most: ..... (wait for a while) screw you BlackBerry!
    Another extreme: thank you BlackBerry! I still got keyboard.

Apple fans: oh, BlackBerry is finally dead, did I say that 4 years ago.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    dolco, FincoApps and DarkJoker33 like this.
    06-12-15 06:04 PM
126 123 ...