Hi, I am new to the forum and new to blackberry. I am looking to replace my 4th gen Ipod Touch with either the bb z10 or z30. I have no experience with blackberry although I have read good things about the new os/browser speed. Can I just buy either a z10 or z30 charge it up and start using just wifi for browsing/music/email like an iPod touch? Or do I need a SIM card to activate the phone?
    (I am not looking to use it as a phone)
    04-23-14 08:27 PM
    You can use Wi-Fi only to set up the phone

Posted via my Z30 on 10.2.1.2947
    JREwing likes this.
    04-23-14 08:29 PM
    so let me get this straight you are just using it to as an ipod touch basically and hooking it up on wifi?

To be honest, i love blackberry but iOS does have all the music apps. I like the stock player but it's very basic which works for me.

Email and browser is a step up from iOS for sure.

But i wouldn't get a blackberry solely on getting a media device to be honest. It's more of a productivity, messages (communication) while multitasking device.

If you do decide to get a BB10 get the Z30, it is much better for media: radio, miracast, dlna (without hdmi cord), best speakers out of any phone (maybe not the new HTC MT8 but is better then the HTC One), 5" screen, USB2go and I do believe the camera is better then my Z10 and Q10 but could be placebo.

With all that being said android apps like Spotify work perfectly which is a good work around for the app gap.
    04-23-14 08:35 PM
    I actually would rather recommend you to get an iPod Touch. Getting a BlackBerry just for the media playback functionality is not great, value for dollar wise.

BlackBerry Z10 doesn't have an awesome speaker. BlackBerry Z30 does have awesome stereo speakers, but it'd be moot if you were to use earphones or wireless playback to other devices.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-23-14 08:46 PM
    I actually would rather recommend you to get an iPod Touch. Getting a BlackBerry just for the media playback functionality is not great, value for dollar wise.

BlackBerry Z10 doesn't have an awesome speaker. BlackBerry Z30 does have awesome stereo speakers, but it'd be moot if you were to use earphones or wireless playback to other devices.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    I know the IPod touch is the standard recommendation, I am just bored with the user interface, anyways I will mostly use the z10/z30 for browsing/email/youtube/Netflix if available. The music is not as important.
    So basically I can buy the z10/z30 no strings attached and start using it with wifi? Sorry if I am being repetitive.
    04-23-14 08:55 PM
    I know the IPod touch is the standard recommendation, I am just bored with the user interface, anyways I will mostly use the z10/z30 for browsing/email/youtube/Netflix if available. The music is not as important.
    So basically I can buy the z10/z30 no strings attached and start using it with wifi? Sorry if I am being repetitive.
    Yes you can and depending on where you buy it you can return it if it doesn't fit your needs.

Netflix is available via side load using the android apk.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-23-14 08:59 PM
    To be honest, dlna is great, but airplay just works. I have had difficulty having consistent connection with a speaker that supports dlna and airplay, whereas my ipod connects no problem. Not to mention, an ipod is way cheaper, unless you need huge amounts of storage (~64 Gb and up)
    04-23-14 09:13 PM
    Yes you can and depending on where you buy it you can return it if it doesn't fit your needs.

Netflix is available via side load using the android apk.
    Thanks, so it doesn't matter if it is unlocked or not? GSM vs CDMA will either one effect activation? Does it matter which carrier? Excuse my ignorance.
    04-23-14 09:40 PM
    Depending on where you live, I think yes. ShopBlackBerry has Z10 and Z30 stocked for Canada and USA. For other countries you may have to get them from carriers of buy an unlocked version (for the no-strings-attached part)

BlackBerry Z10 does not support Miracast nor Wi-Fi Direct. It does, however, support DLNA and HDMI out.

For media purposes, BlackBerry Z30 is the one you want. It supports Miracast, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, HDMI out. It also has FM radio, great stereo speakers, and bigger screen for video playback. It also supports USB On The Go in case your media files are in a thumbdrive or external hard drive.

BlackBerry devices also support Micro SD up to 64GB, in case you have a lot of media files. It's definitely much cheaper than upgrading iPod's storage.

BlackBerry 10 also has BlackBerry Link, which allows you to connect to your PC directly wherever you are. Perfect if you're the kind that stores everything in your PC.

Let me be honest with you on the app situation:
    1. BlackBerry Browser is awesome. You won't regret using it. It doesn't have fancy stuff like bookmark sync that is the feature of cross-platform browsers such as Opera, but it stands on its own and it works very well.

2. Email is unparalleled on BlackBerry 10. I have Android, with stock Email and Gmail app. Their email interface is horrible.

3. YouTube works very well on BlackBerry Browser. If you want a native app for YouTube, there are several in BlackBerry World. FastTube off the top of my head

4. Netflix is available via sideloading. You either sideload Snap and download Netflix from there or directly sideload Netflix. Either way, people have reported that it works well, including Dan Does

Before you go for BlackBerry, I suggest you think of the apps you most probably will miss in case it's not available on BlackBerry 10. We might be able to help you to find out how to get it or whether a 3rd party app is available.

Before you get BlackBerry Z30, think about these:

1. Do I use Miracast or Wi-Fi Direct?
    2. Will I use external speakers or earphones all the time?
    3. Do I need the bigger screen?

If you won't use Miracast or WiFi Direct, BlackBerry Z10 might be better price-wise

If you will use external speakers or earphones, BlackBerry Z30's stereo speakers won't be of much use. BlackBerry Z10 might be better price-wise.

If you don't need the bigger screen, BlackBerry Z10 might be better price wise

If you always transfer your data via PC, USB On The Go won't be of much use, BlackBerry Z10 might be better price wise.

In the end, find which one suits your needs. The price difference between Z10 and Z30 is quite huge, you could get a Z10 and quite a few accessories for a Z30

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-23-14 09:43 PM
    The BlackBerry z30 is a great choice

Also with the removable SD card, it gives you somewhat unlimited storage

And with the hdmi out, you can watch and listen over tour big screen or use miracast for wireless.

I love my miracast

The above is why I recommend BlackBerry over ios

And the z30 speakers are fantastic

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 09:43 PM
    Yes op you can. Both of my boys have z10's and they use it like a ipod. No sim card is installed.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 09:56 PM
    Thanks, so it doesn't matter if it is unlocked or not? GSM vs CDMA will either one effect activation? Does it matter which carrier? Excuse my ignorance.
    No activation required if all you are doing is using it via wifi, after you are done with the initial setup your are good to go, if I may I would suggest you turn airplane mode on, and then just turn wifi individually for a better battery life
    04-23-14 10:28 PM
    Depending on where you live, I think yes. ShopBlackBerry has Z10 and Z30 stocked for Canada and USA. For other countries you may have to get them from carriers of buy an unlocked version (for the no-strings-attached part)

BlackBerry Z10 does not support Miracast nor Wi-Fi Direct. It does, however, support DLNA and HDMI out.

For media purposes, BlackBerry Z30 is the one you want. It supports Miracast, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, HDMI out. It also has FM radio, great stereo speakers, and bigger screen for video playback. It also supports USB On The Go in case your media files are in a thumbdrive or external hard drive.

BlackBerry devices also support Micro SD up to 64GB, in case you have a lot of media files. It's definitely much cheaper than upgrading iPod's storage.

BlackBerry 10 also has BlackBerry Link, which allows you to connect to your PC directly wherever you are. Perfect if you're the kind that stores everything in your PC.

Let me be honest with you on the app situation:
    1. BlackBerry Browser is awesome. You won't regret using it. It doesn't have fancy stuff like bookmark sync that is the feature of cross-platform browsers such as Opera, but it stands on its own and it works very well.

2. Email is unparalleled on BlackBerry 10. I have Android, with stock Email and Gmail app. Their email interface is horrible.

3. YouTube works very well on BlackBerry Browser. If you want a native app for YouTube, there are several in BlackBerry World. FastTube off the top of my head

4. Netflix is available via sideloading. You either sideload Snap and download Netflix from there or directly sideload Netflix. Either way, people have reported that it works well, including Dan Does

Before you go for BlackBerry, I suggest you think of the apps you most probably will miss in case it's not available on BlackBerry 10. We might be able to help you to find out how to get it or whether a 3rd party app is available.

Before you get BlackBerry Z30, think about these:

1. Do I use Miracast or Wi-Fi Direct?
    2. Will I use external speakers or earphones all the time?
    3. Do I need the bigger screen?

If you won't use Miracast or WiFi Direct, BlackBerry Z10 might be better price-wise

If you will use external speakers or earphones, BlackBerry Z30's stereo speakers won't be of much use. BlackBerry Z10 might be better price-wise.

If you don't need the bigger screen, BlackBerry Z10 might be better price wise

If you always transfer your data via PC, USB On The Go won't be of much use, BlackBerry Z10 might be better price wise.

In the end, find which one suits your needs. The price difference between Z10 and Z30 is quite huge, you could get a Z10 and quite a few accessories for a Z30

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    I am in the US, not sure what Miracast or Wifi Direct are? I am not picky about apps mostly gmail/yahoo mail apps Youtube app, Netflix, would also like an Am radio app If possible.
    I mostly use earphones.
    04-23-14 10:45 PM
    I am in the US, not sure what Miracast or Wifi Direct are? I am not picky about apps mostly gmail/yahoo mail apps Youtube app, Netflix, would also like an Am radio app If possible.
    I mostly use earphones.
    Might want to look up those terms then, perhaps you are using them daily without ever noticing what they are. Samsung, for example, names their DLNA service AllShare, which does not mirror "DLNA" at all.

Basically, Miracast allows you to project your BlackBerry screen to a monitor/TV that supports it. Kind of like a wireless projector.

WiFi direct allows you to directly access another WiFi capable device without going through a router.

There are tons of radio apps on BlackBerry World, but I personally don't listen to radios at all, so I don't know about the AM capability of those. BlackBerry Z30 does support FM radio, provided you have the supporting earphone.

If you don't use Miracast/Wi-Fi Direct / built-in speakers, it could be that BlackBerry Z10 fits your needs more

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-23-14 10:51 PM
    Might want to look up those terms then, perhaps you are using them daily without ever noticing what they are. Samsung, for example, names their DLNA service AllShare, which does not mirror "DLNA" at all.

Basically, Miracast allows you to project your BlackBerry screen to a monitor/TV that supports it. Kind of like a wireless projector.

WiFi direct allows you to directly access another WiFi capable device without going through a router.

There are tons of radio apps on BlackBerry World, but I personally don't listen to radios at all, so I don't know about the AM capability of those. BlackBerry Z30 does support FM radio, provided you have the supporting earphone.

If you don't use Miracast/Wi-Fi Direct / built-in speakers, it could be that BlackBerry Z10 fits your needs more

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    Yeah at the moment I don't use wifi direct or Miracast although they do sound very useful.
    04-23-14 11:00 PM
    Yes op you can. Both of my boys have z10's and they use it like a ipod. No sim card is installed.

Posted via CB10
    Which models did you buy? Unlocked or not? Does it matter with wifi only use?
    04-23-14 11:04 PM
    Yeah at the moment I don't use wifi direct or Miracast although they do sound very useful.
    They sound useful, but unless you use them all the time, it's not really worth shelling out the bucks.

If you think you agree with what I said, then I recommend getting a Z10. It's a solid phone and can get you what you need.

In case you need fine tune over your equalizer for music, there is Neutron Media Player on BlackBerry World.

For YouTube there is FastTube

For Email, BlackBerry 10 already got you covered

For Radio, there are tons of radio apps on BlackBerry World, check them out.

For apps that are not available in BlackBerry World, you can search for one by either sideloading Snap or Amazon AppStore and go from there. Sideloading them is relatively painless, but requires OS 10.2.1, which should be much easier to get now. If you get it unlocked, just pop a SIM from a carrier that had released it and download.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-23-14 11:19 PM
    They sound useful, but unless you use them all the time, it's not really worth shelling out the bucks.

If you think you agree with what I said, then I recommend getting a Z10. It's a solid phone and can get you what you need.

In case you need fine tune over your equalizer for music, there is Neutron Media Player on BlackBerry World.

For YouTube there is FastTube

For Email, BlackBerry 10 already got you covered

For Radio, there are tons of radio apps on BlackBerry World, check them out.

For apps that are not available in BlackBerry World, you can search for one by either sideloading Snap or Amazon AppStore and go from there. Sideloading them is relatively painless, but requires OS 10.2.1, which should be much easier to get now. If you get it unlocked, just pop a SIM from a carrier that had released it and download.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    Yeah I think you swayed me into getting the Z10. Oh, so I can use blackberrys email without a paid BIS or BES plan? Is it a stand alone email that would look like [email protected] etc? Or is it using my already existing Gmail or Yahoo? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I've got it all down before I order.
    04-23-14 11:52 PM
    Yeah I think you swayed me into getting the Z10. Oh, so I can use blackberrys email without a paid BIS or BES plan? Is it a stand alone email that would look like [email protected] etc? Or is it using my already existing Gmail or Yahoo? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I've got it all down before I order.
    Don't think those blackberry.com emails exist anymore. You can just sync your Gmail and Yahoo accounts straight onto the device without having to go through BIS.

I moved from a LE Z10 to a Z30 and don't regret it. The Z30 is a power house. The miracast feature is unique to the Z30 and Z30 also has support for USB OTG. For instance, you can have a pile of video files in a USB key (formatted in FAT 32) and plug it into the Z30 and play on the Z30. With Miracast, you can play the movie on Z30's screen and then also have the screen replicated on a large TV (if you have miracast support in the TV or have a miracast receiver).

If you are only going to use the BB10 device as a DLNA server and player, then Z10 might be good enough...
    04-24-14 12:24 AM
    Z10 and Z30 is modern smartphone and even smarter than other smartphone in many ways. It doesn't need BIS or BES to function. It will just work fine as wi-fi only device. And this is exactly what I am going to do. My new Z30 is in and will keep my Z10 as wi-fi only and a backup device. I can also make Z30 as hot-spot and let Z10 to connect to it if there is no wi-fi. Email, messaging using data like BBM except text message using Mobile network, music, multi media all will work on wi-fi only Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 12:37 AM
    Which models did you buy? Unlocked or not? Does it matter with wifi only use?
    Not at all.. my Z10 is locked with Bell Canada and I always activate it without a SIM card inside it... just wi-fi

Posted from my Q10 running on 1GB of RAM
    04-24-14 01:39 AM
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
    04-24-14 01:53 AM
    Enjoy your new phone!

I've owned the Z10 and now I have the Z30. They are both great but my Z30 is definitely better, including amazing battery life. (usually more than 24 hours before a recharge is necessary but that depends on usage)

Netflix works great and the easiest way to get it is to visit Amazon, download their app store directly on your phone, log into your amazon account (or create one first if necessary) then you can simply tap on Netflix and install it. Be sure to "allow" non-blackberry apps to be installed in the settings. You can browse around this site for many great ways to get more app stores and the most use from your device.

One of the best parts of a BB10 experience is how fast it is to do and share things. BBM is terrific and has advanced leaps and bounds in only the past year. There is so much to enjoy!

The on screen keyboard is outstanding and is a real pleasure to use. Just last night I hammered out 7 similar emails by simply "flicking" 95% of the words as my phone knows me so well that it can predict what I want to say before I say it!
    04-24-14 08:34 AM
    Enjoy your new phone!

I've owned the Z10 and now I have the Z30. They are both great but my Z30 is definitely better, including amazing battery life. (usually more than 24 hours before a recharge is necessary but that depends on usage)

Netflix works great and the easiest way to get it is to visit Amazon, download their app store directly on your phone, log into your amazon account (or create one first if necessary) then you can simply tap on Netflix and install it. Be sure to "allow" non-blackberry apps to be installed in the settings. You can browse around this site for many great ways to get more app stores and the most use from your device.

One of the best parts of a BB10 experience is how fast it is to do and share things. BBM is terrific and has advanced leaps and bounds in only the past year. There is so much to enjoy!

The on screen keyboard is outstanding and is a real pleasure to use. Just last night I hammered out 7 similar emails by simply "flicking" 95% of the words as my phone knows me so well that it can predict what I want to say before I say it!
    Yeah, I am pretty excited.
    The keyboard feature was one of the biggest selling points for me, along with the BB 10 browser scoring the highest in speed tests.
    Thanks
    04-24-14 09:21 AM

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    Does the ipod have awesome speakers? Absolutely not

Zee coolest flicking smartphone evah
    04-24-14 01:11 PM