Ok maybe this should be in the ATT thread, but it may apply to other providers so I'll post here. I've scoured the forum for as much info on tethering as I can, but I am still curious and know you guys/gals will be able to help. I just upgraded to the Torch (unlimited data plan) and gave my Mother my Curve 8900 (200 MB plan) we have ATT. I have read all the info that, to tether, you must either pay ATT for their tethering plan or use a 3rd party app such as tether to use the blackberry as a wireless modem. I think it's total b.s. to pay ATT an additional tethering fee to use data that I've already payed for, but hey life's not fair. What get's interesting is I was teaching mom the ins and outs of the BB and was going through her owner's manual and can across a section that shows how to use the 8900 as a wireless modem. It merely says to download ATT communication manager to computer and connect the 8900...nowhere does it say anything about tethering fees. My dad has an ATT aircard (5 gig plan), so I already have ATT comm mngr. on my computer so I thought I'd see if it worked. Sure enough it recognizes both the 8900 and my Torch as devices and gives the option to connect. I didn't connect for fear of being charged additional fees, but I am curious if any of you have tried connecting through this method. Also, if I "were ignorant" of the tethering plan and read this manual and connected without any notice of incurring extra charges, would ATT be able to charge me if I do not go over the data limit? I will attach a pic of the owner manual section. I know this is a long question and if you've made it this far in reading, thank you for the time.Attachment 77422
    11-28-10 05:58 PM
    Simple answer, yes you will be charged to tether. You cannot use a manual as proof of ignorance. Providers can track what devices are on the network and you will be charged for using the service.
    Seantm likes this.
    11-28-10 06:08 PM
    Thanks K Bear for the quick response! I guess the better question would be will ATT know that I am tethering my berry to my computer? Or will it just come across as data usage for my phone? I mean I would only use it on the rare occasion that I am away from a wifi network, but I do have unlimited data and wasnt sure if they would know that I used it on occasion as a tethered device. Thanks again.
    11-28-10 06:27 PM
    If you use a 3rd party app, AT&T can't tell that you are tethering. You just need to watch how much data you use. The unlimited plan is not actually unlimited. If you go over 5gb per month, they could suspect that you are tethering.

If you use the AT&T software, they will know that you are tethering.
    Seantm likes this.
    11-28-10 06:36 PM
    FWIW, I've been using Tether for BB for about a year and a half (paid app..about $50) and not had a problem. BUT, I only use it occasionally, like when the cable goes out or when I venture away from home and don't have WiFi available. What tips the carriers off is when you use it a lot of you use it for streaming. There's a point (and I don't know where it is) where they will realize that there's no way you're using that much data on your phone. So, I would say it's fine for occasional use and for doing just basic internet surfing. I wouldn't push it beyond that. Another plus side to only using it a tiny bit is that if you DO get caught the bill shouldn't be that horrible.

As for just using the AT&T connection manager or whatever, I don't know. I believe apps like Tether for BB somehow disguise (or hide?) your PC so that it appears your phone is using the data. I'm not sure if it would be the same using just the Connection Manager.
    Seantm likes this.
    11-28-10 06:40 PM
    Thanks pbflash, I have been checking out the Tether application in the app store and it seems like a pretty good kick. I think I'm going to give it a go, was just a little cautious about some of the stories of the providers charging crazy bills after discovering they were tethering with the Tether app. Like I said before though, it wouldn't be much data that I would use, maybe 1 or 2 gigs max. Thanks again guys for the help.
    11-28-10 06:44 PM
    For those of you that do have Tether for BB, if my phone is in 3G range, will the speeds on my computer be same as 3G? I only ask because my Dad's ATT aircard is pretty damn fast when it is in 3G coverage. Thanks
    11-28-10 06:49 PM
    For those of you that do have Tether for BB, if my phone is in 3G range, will the speeds on my computer be same as 3G? I only ask because my Dad's ATT aircard is pretty damn fast when it is in 3G coverage. Thanks
    You will get the 3G speeds and it will be MUCH faster than what you get on the phone itself (the phone browser is slow and the phone itself doesn't have the resources of a PC), but it will not be quite as fast as an aircard, probably because everything still goes through RIM's servers just like on your phone. So I'd say somewhere in between, but leaning toward the Air Card side. That's my experience coming from an Air Card a couple years ago.
    11-28-10 08:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD