Actually, with the HTC shareholders actions, and their lack of faith in performance, could, and I stress could, create an opportunity for a BB/HTC JV to see the underdogs rise (alright, I can dream)
    I know its more than likely not going to happen, but, do you remember the durability of the HTC Star-Trek flip phone, or the P3470 (I still have and use one) or the 85xx series horizontal sliders? They were built just like the 7000/8000 BlackBerry Series

HTC 'can' make great hardware - BB 'does' make great software and since most of the Waterloo operations are shuttered, there is a possibility - BBHTC - BlackBerry Has The Cool or HTCBB - Have The Coolest BlackBerry
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-12-15 08:06 AM
    Why wouldn't BlackBerry succeed where the others are collapsing?

Most Android OEM's such as HTC have nothing to offer except hardware. They are one trick ponies

BlackBerry is an end to end solutions provider with a very diverse portfolio of offerings ever increasing.

BlackBerry is now focusing on high margin offerings which is great and quite prudent moving ahead.

Let's face it. BlackBerry is setting themselves up to be much more profitable than they were at much higher revenue.

HTC tried the latest and greatest 810 and couldn't get it optimized. If all you do is hardware make sure you do it very well, or don't do it at all.

Sent via Passport!
    To counter, why would BlackBerry succeed with Android where others have failed? One of HTC's problems was advertising and brand awareness. Their CEO admitted this at one of the quarterly reports and that Android is a very tough market. BlackBerry doesn't advertise effectively, and they don't do any consumer education or or brand awareness past free social media. Also in the Enterprise iOS 9 is going to likely be Apple's huge push in with the security enhancements, and Android has the stigma of being completely insecure, just like BlackBerry has the stigma of spinning clocks and battery pulls. And if a single BlackBerry branded Android device gets hacked, it is over as the press will drive them into the ground.

Posted via Z30
    08-12-15 08:41 AM
    HTC 'can' make great hardware - BB 'does' make great software and since most of the Waterloo operations are shuttered, there is a possibility - BBHTC - BlackBerry Has The Cool or HTCBB - Have The Coolest BlackBerry
    And neither one could effectively market water in the desert!

Posted via Z30
    kbz1960 and gvs1341 like this.
    08-12-15 08:44 AM
    Blackberry has a diverse portfolio of products and services. HTC just makes phones in an overcrowded market and they have failed to stand out. So yes, BlackBerry will outlast phonecentric companies.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 09:15 AM
    HTC is much like BB in that they don't listen to their customers (who, in HTC's case, have been begging for a decent camera for years, while HTC hasn't made a great camera a priority) and can't market their products well (though HTC's recent "Oops Protection" commercials are pretty good). HTC was brilliant getting Robert Downey Jr., but the actual ads themselves were just awful - totally squandering RDJ's appeal.

If HTC could have put a fantastic camera in the M9, and had used more conventional marketing, they could have doubled sales. The thing is, other than those two issues, HTC doesn't have anything else holding them back. BB10 has a dozen or more big issues holding it back, the biggest being the most difficult to overcome: the ecosystem.
    08-12-15 09:33 AM
    Blackberry has a diverse portfolio of products and services. HTC just makes phones in an overcrowded market and they have failed to stand out. So yes, BlackBerry will outlast phonecentric companies.

Posted via CB10
    Service revenues off a shrinking BBOS base is still there main source of income. They are "diverse" in the sense they now have a lot of revenue streams, but those streams are not diverse enough to survive on their own. Their software revenue stream is smoke an mirrors at the moment, and unless Cisco is paying them every quarter for licensing, then I expect Software to drop this coming quarter which will cause the stock to drop even lower.

Posted via Z30
    08-12-15 10:20 AM
    HTC is down to 1.5 billion in holdings and analysts are quite skeptical. They unfortunately have no niche are are simply one of sooo many Android device makers. They sold more phones in 2011 than any mobile device maker. The shift is on and so many on these forums are simply not paying attention. The days of really expensive hand sets are coming to a screeching halt. Check out Android Central as they are now have their finger on the pulse. Alcatel, ASUS and now and particularly the 2015 Moto G they cannot stop recommending enough. Mid grade devices between 200-300 dollars that do everything a flagship does and well. Maybe not at the benchmarks all the extreme users want but more than good enough for average users. As of now the Moto is only available online. (does this kind of sound like BlackBerry's recent direction and the Leap?) anyway the days of 700-800 dollar mobile devices are done. As more people shift to buying unlocked, no bloat ware, affordable phones carriers and their nieve staff will soon be taken out of the picture. If you doubt this look at the tablet market for direction. Apple is the next to fall from their perch. They will not be immune. John Chen was/is brilliant for carving out and speaking repetitively about BlackBerry and their niche. (and software) It will be fruitful in the near future. And realize the big Chinese hand set makers (Xiomi, Huawei) have not yet hit the US market. Their coming...

Z10 on 10.3.2
    08-12-15 10:25 AM
    HTC is down to 1.5 billion in holdings and analysts are quite skeptical. They unfortunately have no niche are are simply one of sooo many Android device makers. They sold more phones in 2011 than any mobile device maker. The shift is on and so many on these forums are simply not paying attention. The days of really expensive hand sets are coming to a screeching halt. Check out Android Central as they are now have their finger on the pulse. Alcatel, ASUS and now and particularly the 2015 Moto G they cannot stop recommending enough. Mid grade devices between 200-300 dollars that do everything a flagship does and well. Maybe not at the benchmarks all the extreme users want but more than good enough for average users. As of now the Moto is only available online. (does this kind of sound like BlackBerry's recent direction and the Leap?) anyway the days of 700-800 dollar mobile devices are done. As more people shift to buying unlocked, no bloat ware, affordable phones carriers and their nieve staff will soon be taken out of the picture. If you doubt this look at the tablet market for direction. Apple is the next to fall from their perch. They will not be immune. John Chen was/is brilliant for carving out and speaking repetitively about BlackBerry and their niche. (and software) It will be fruitful in the near future. And realize the big Chinese hand set makers (Xiomi, Huawei) have not yet hit the US market. Their coming...

Z10 on 10.3.2
    I agree... I think Carriers (Verizon is anyway) are done subsidizing phones. And with customers either having to pay full price or add an extra $15 - $30 a month to their bill. "Some" will welcome these lower cost... but feature filled devices. I think the key is to put the money in the parts that users really need the most performance out of. And as Troy said, the camera is something that in today's world of Instagram and Snapchat that some use everyday.
    08-12-15 10:41 AM
    I�m afraid not. Ever since the 10.3.1.1779 update, that for some unknown reason I�m still on, this is by far the worst version of the BB 10 OS. My phone is constantly freezing, takes more than a minute to start, the hub goes blank and the information disappears for a few minutes, among other problems. Besides this, I also had a problem with the microphone of my Z10 (while still on warranty), that took almost 3 months to repair. During this time, I�ve requested a phone replacement or my money back and it was promptly refused without even bothering to explain why my phone was stuck in repair for 3 months or an apology. As a result of this disrespect, I�ve already changed operator and by the end of year, after almost 10 years being a BB client, I will begin changing my family blackberry�s (2 Z10 and 1 Playbook) for Android phones and tab.
    08-12-15 10:52 AM
    I�m afraid not. Ever since the 10.3.1.1779 update, that for some unknown reason I�m still on, this is by far the worst version of the BB 10 OS. My phone is constantly freezing, takes more than a minute to start, the hub goes blank and the information disappears for a few minutes, among other problems. Besides this, I also had a problem with the microphone of my Z10 (while still on warranty), that took almost 3 months to repair. During this time, I�ve requested a phone replacement or my money back and it was promptly refused without even bothering to explain why my phone was stuck in repair for 3 months or an apology. As a result of this disrespect, I�ve already changed operator and by the end of year, after almost 10 years being a BB client, I will begin changing my family blackberry�s (2 Z10 and 1 Playbook) for Android phones and tab.
    Ironically enough, it was Samsung's crappy reliability and warranty service that drove me to BlackBerry in 2013.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 02:36 PM
    BlackBerry, if the droid berry is a flop, won't be a hardware manufacturer for much longer. So if you want to a say a company named BlackBerry that builds software is the same company that made my 9900 then I think the op may be right. The truth is HTC is one flagship away from being profitable again.

BTW NOKIA didn't go anywhere they recently purchased Lucent and continue to make (design) mobile devices , the N1, and expect to have smartphones on the market in 2016.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 03:20 PM
    It's hard to believe how HTC went from "quietly brilliant" in its marketing (remember the "You" campaign?) to just plain quiet. It's a testament to the importance of good marketing.

They make great phones. A lot of companies make great phones. But marketing is crucial, and the OEM can't be responsible for all of that. You need advertising and promotion by carrier partners, and BlackBerry burned a lot of bridges in the past.
    trsbbs likes this.
    08-13-15 09:07 AM
    08-13-15 04:59 PM
    Yeah but don't worry BlackBerry will be able to do it when they switch to Android

Posted via Z30
    gvs1341 likes this.
    08-13-15 07:14 PM
    HTC should die already.

They had their time, and need to go.

Posted via CB10
    The same could and has been said about BlackBerry. Toss them rocks while in the BB glass house.
    08-13-15 07:42 PM
40 12