At barcelona gsm world 2010 sagem is launching a product called simfi.

It incorporate a hardware router inside the gsm sim chip, that will supposedly let any gsm (3g) phone with wifi capability be quickly converted into a wifi access point.I believe it will be accessible from the sim/operator menu in your phone.

But yes, your operator must offer you to upgrade your gsm chip to a simfi chip. Its not something you can do on your own.

The hope is, someone could just write a software router.
    02-15-10 11:33 AM
    ****EDIT****
    I finally figured this out a while back...in Mac OSX, you simply need to enable Internet Sharing in the preferences. Share the BT or USB connection with the AirPort, then create a computer to computer network. It will NOT work if you do not enable internet sharing though...which is what I didn't know when I posted originally, below.

Any update to this?

I did try this method using OSX, but there is one small problem...When you connect via Bluetooth/USB, and then receive an IP address from your carrier, I do not see ANY way possible to share the connection between the two different protocols (BT, and WiFi).

For example:
    Sprint has assigned 174.147.20.81 to my BB Tour via Bluetooth.

I can go into the AirPort in OSX, and create a "computer-to-computer" network, which would allow me to share my *WIFI* connection with other devices, such as laptops, ipod touch, BB"s, etc...HOWEVER...since I have an IP address through BT and NOT WiFi, there is essentially nothing to share.

I do not believe there is ANY way in OSX (that I can find anyway) to share the BLUETOOTH/USB connection through WiFi but am searching still for an answer to this problem.

When I try creating a "computer-to-computer" WiFi network, the AirPort is self-assigning a 169.x.x.x IP address to use, which is of course, useless. I did try to stick in the Sprint assigned IP address (174.147.20.81) into the AirPort settings, but of course that did not work either. IF there was a way for the two protocols to communicate with each other, and a way for BT to share the IP address information with the AirPort card, then this comp-to-comp network WOULD work....this is what I am still searching for....let me know if anyone has any new information.

BTW - I am aware of the other options such as mifi, cradelpointe, etc...but if there is a way to share your tethered bb-laptop connection with other devices via WiFi....

Here is a pretty easy solution that allows me to share my BB Tour's mobile broadband connection with multiple devices using Vista, XP or Mac (this example is using Vista):

1. Connect to the internet via your BB using either a wired or a bluetooth connection.
    2. Open "Network and Sharing Center"
    3. Select "Set up a connection or network" in upper left hand corner
    4. Select "Set up a wireless ad-hoc (computer to computer) network
    5. Select "Next"
    6. Select a network name, your encryption type (I chose WEP), and a either five or 13 alphanumeric password (it has to be either exactly five or 13)
    7. Select "Save this network"
    8. When the screen comes up asking for the type of network chose either Home, Business or Public (I chose Home)
    9. Go to your other laptop or device and select "Connect to a network". You will now see the other network listed as whatever you named it.
    10. Connect using the password you set up.
    11. Viola! You are now sharing the BB connection.

This steps might be slightly different using XP or Mac, but the idea is the same. So far I haven't found that any downside to this as long as you don't exceed your 5 GB limit, which seems difficult to me considering how much we use each day.

Right now I am connected to the internet through a bluetooth connection to my BB Tour, my daughter has her laptop connected through my computer via a wi-fi connection and she also has her iPod touch connected via wi-fi.

I find it is a wonderful way to have a hotspot in your car or hotel room, or in this case, multiple hotel rooms. Her room is two doors down from ours and she has two or three bars of connectivity, even though the documentation says that you must be within 30 feet (which kind of makes it sound like it is bluetooth related, but it is not).

Good luck setting it up.

Take care,
    megogo
    Last edited by mconk; 04-12-10 at 03:09 AM.
    02-15-10 05:44 PM
    I'd like the kids to have the ability to use them wirelessly when we're traveling using my data connection. Any thoughts?
    You probably already know this, but just to be clear, this is very possible with a Cradlepoint router.

I currently have a CTR350 device with a car power adapter. When I'm on the road with my kids, I plug my CTR350 into the lighter outlet, plug my BB Bold 9000 into the CTR350 and my kids are both surfing around on their iPod Touches while we're cruising down the road. Well worth the $99 cost of the router, in my opinion. And I also use it all the time myself..

I'm posting from my laptop over it right now.

I highly recommend the Cradlepoint products. It obviously isn't as nice as a pure software solution on the Bold would be, but these are really nice little routers with all kinds of nice options built in, and the price and support are both great, in my opinion.
    03-18-10 09:59 AM
    I was using my Blackberry's Internet connection and my laptop to create a WiFi hotspot at our hotel. I then connected by iPad to my WiFi hotspot and viola, all set. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Bluetooh on my blackberry as a WiFi hotpot for my iPad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 11:53 PM
    I did the same thing the other day, on a train ride to NYC. I often did this with my ipod touch as well. Unfortunately though, you can't connect the bb and ipad or ipod touch directly...you need the laptop as a 'router'. The computer allows you to share the BB's BT connection, or USB connection, with the airport, which allows you to connect other devices. No software exists for bb or ipad/ipod, to allow a direct connection, which is unfortunate...your only other option is to get a cradelpoint router for $99 like the guy above, plug your phone into the router, and create a wifi hotspot that way.

I was using my Blackberry's Internet connection and my laptop to create a WiFi hotspot at our hotel. I then connected by iPad to my WiFi hotspot and viola, all set. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Bluetooh on my blackberry as a WiFi hotpot for my iPad.

04-12-10 03:03 AM
    So, does anybody know how Tetherberry works? Sounds like it uses the bluetooth connection to share the 3g. If a client could exist for the iphone...
    05-20-10 11:59 AM
    I don't think apple would approve a client for them. Tetherberrys works by having the app installed on both the laptop and bb. You connect the two together either via bluetooth or usb.

03-03-11 09:37 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD