Had the blackberry Passport got flash support in the browser?
    Can someone check please. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 07:08 PM
    HTML 5 is severely underoptimized and so SLOW. Flash has had over a decade of development and work put into it. Also, Flash supports hardware acceleration while HTML 5 doesn't. This means 1080p Flash videos play perfectly while HTML 5 is only capable of 480p on equal systems.
    Games and apps are much easier to develop in Flash as Adobe has a $500 dedicated software. Not to mention Flash runs much faster.

Carbon Fiber Z10 w/Leather Holster
    Dunno where you're getting your information from.

HTML5 itself doesn't need hardware acceleration... but that's neither here nor there, since HTML5 isn't itself a processing entity. The browsers themselves, which process HTML5, use hardware acceleration.

Furthermore, HTML5 doesn't determine the resolution at which videos are capable of playing. It's the video codecs (vp8, vp9, mpeg, WebM, etc) that determines what resolutions are supported. HTML5 has nothing to do with it, as it's just a wrapper to place those video objects for display. Furthermore... hardware acceleration has little to zero impact on simple video playback. There's nothing for the hardware to render. It's just raw data being pushed through the codec and then to the display.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 10-02-14 at 07:38 PM.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-02-14 07:19 PM
    I blame Adobe. If they had fought back against Jobs, then more effort would have been put into improving Flash instead of hoping HTML5 will be able to replace the functionality and ease of development.
    There was really nothing for Adobe to fight back against. Even Adobe knew that Flash technology had run it's course. It was great in its time because there were no other contenders. The best they could do was keep Flash relevant a bit longer to monetize it, but even then, they knew where the technology was going. That's why Adobe has backed support for WebM and other video codecs to remain relevant in the development. Steve Jobs simply looked ahead and determined "Sure, we'll suffer a couple of years, but investing in Flash is a waste of resources." And to be quite frank about it... SJ was pretty spot on. Apple didn't kill Flash... they simply looked ahead and recognized that it was already on its way out.

Heck... I even remember when on these very CB forums, Android had Flash support, BB didn't, and everybody here discounted Flash as a resource hog and not worth the effort. Until BB got it on their devices. Right after BB got it, and coincidentally Android dropped official support, suddenly Flash was an arguing point in favor of BB.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 10-02-14 at 07:43 PM.
    10-02-14 07:31 PM
    To where?
    Ios will never have it.
    Windows phone also will never have it
    Android had it for a short time three years ago and now it's unsupported on 4.4 and on all browsers.
    Jolla doesn't have also.
    Firefox os doesn't have it too.

So, there are only two ways to keep flash on your phone.
    Keep 10.2.1 forever on BB10 or buy a 4 years old motorola DROID (the first one with android 2.1)
    While it's not officially supported on Android any longer, and will never be updated, it can still be downloaded From Adobe and works fine with 4.4 KitKat with a browser such as Firefox, Dolphin, etc. I still need it, but less and less all the time. In another year or so I don't think it will be relevant any longer.
    10-02-14 10:08 PM
    If you want to run the full YouTube site with HTML5, just go to youtube.com/html5 in your browser and request the html5 player. You will no longer need flash for youtube.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:29 PM
    THIS

I don't care if flash is old or buggy or whatever, it could be stone age or older than the moon, couldn't care less about it's age... But I need it to watch streams, so I want it
    Flash = dead
    HTML5= Now, and the future

via CB10 from my awesome BlackBerry Z3
    10-02-14 10:56 PM
    Please dont remove flash, I was recently working on my android tablet for an university project online, I couldnt access the site because it required flash...
    10-02-14 10:57 PM
    Nope its better
    Flash games and whatnot had hardware requirements and had out of control memory issues because it was made during the Pentium days making it very unstable and crash prone

Html5 is hardware independent and doesn't require plugins and an industry standards usage is amazing not to mention no media player is needed because the app detects what you are using and offers in page playback

Posted via CrackBerry App
    And because HTML 5 is hardware independent, it can't take advantage of HARDWARE! This means no hardware acceleration and slow performance overall.

10-03-14 12:59 AM
    And because HTML 5 is hardware independent, it can't take advantage of HARDWARE! This means no hardware acceleration and slow performance overall.

Flash Is pc hardware dependent
    Whatsyour point ?
    Why do you think flash crashes a lot
    not to mention anything that requires a lot of power will more likely crash a mobile flash

Flash was created mostly for pc's not for low memory and low power devices
    Flash has a lot more memory leaks due to unoptimized code that were meant for a full desktop proccessors

One of the many critism by Adobe about the way mobile flash works is that people don't update their flash code to include new memory or cpus
    You can goto xboxhtml5 games and play then with the Xbox one or ps3

You can't say that for flash and mobile games that require a lot more gpu and memory

You can certainly have html5 hardware acceleration it's just not required
    Posted via CrackBerry App
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    10-03-14 05:02 AM
    Don't care if people here use flash or not. Most of those that say they don't have no clue anyway. They use flash websites without being aware of this.

What I care about is bb10 is the only system that supports it natively. And it should stay like that. Just Another differentiator in favour of BlackBerry.

There is millions of websites running it and I made a couple of android and iPhone users looking dumb when they couldn't display websites on their phones while my z10 had no issues at all.

Keep it BlackBerry!!!
    smart548 and gfondeur like this.
    10-03-14 05:18 AM
    ^^ This! I really hope that it will reappear in the final 10.3.1.. At least, if it doesn't cost a billion$/year..
    10-03-14 05:31 AM
    Flash = dead
    HTML5= Now, and the future

No It's not DEAD... I need it to watch Live streams that still are all flash, and if they kill flash I won't be able to watch live streams any more... When live streams change to HTML5, kill flash as you wish.

Flash is being phased out, but there's still plenty of websites that use the, so I still want it. Kill it when nothing is using it.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-03-14 07:14 AM
    Don't care if people here use flash or not. Most of those that say they don't have no clue anyway. They use flash websites without being aware of this.

What I care about is bb10 is the only system that supports it natively. And it should stay like that. Just Another differentiator in favour of BlackBerry.

There is millions of websites running it and I made a couple of android and iPhone users looking dumb when they couldn't display websites on their phones while my z10 had no issues at all.

Keep it BlackBerry!!!
    So true... I love the "smart" guys here saying it doesn't matter because it's "old" and it's not the future... Guess what? their Grandmothers are old, and aren't the future, are they throwing them down the bridge?
    MarsupilamiX and Allwyn John like this.
    10-03-14 07:16 AM
    So true... I love the "smart" guys here saying it doesn't matter because it's "old" and it's not the future... Guess what? their Grandmothers are old, and aren't the future, are they throwing them down the bridge?
    My grandmother is dead and so is Flash.

10-03-14 07:54 AM
    Tough to market yourself as a secure os with an ancient and no longer supported version of Flash.

I understand the benefits of Flash, don't get me wrong, but a lot of resources have to be invested to keep accommodating this dying technology in the browser - not to mention the licensing fees. I just don't think there's sufficient payoff for BlackBerry here.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    jefbeard911 and app_Developer like this.
    10-03-14 08:09 AM
    My grandmother is dead and so is Flash.

Did you kill her? why do you want to kill flash? What's bothering you with it's existance? I don't get it.

If there's people that use flash, why the hell "anti-flash brigade" wants to kill flash? It doesn't afect you, let other people use flash if they need to. It's not our fault that the content that we need is only availabe in flash for god sake... stop being selfish
    10-03-14 08:11 AM
    Tough to market yourself as a secure os with an ancient and no longer supported version of Flash.

I understand the benefits of Flash, don't get me wrong, but a lot of resources have to be invested to keep accommodating this dying technology in the browser - not to mention the licensing fees. I just don't think there's sufficient payoff for BlackBerry here.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    I don't know wich licensing fees are, but on android you can simply download flash for free since android doesn't support flash, no need to "invest resources"... I hope I can download it aswell for BB10 in the future updates if flash gets killed.
    10-03-14 08:13 AM
    Turning off Flash support makes a noticeable difference to the battery life on my PlayBook. Never bothered much with it on my Z10 (except to turn it off), as most sites today are designed to work without it.

Never been big on play Flash games on my Z10 as they don't usually scale correctly. And they make it hard to hold your phone as it tends to heat up while flash is being used in a browser.

Now I have had issues with a few sites like ABC.com where it seems you need flash to view video for their TV Shows. But it won't work with the current mobile version... so in that case what good is having flash if it isn't up to date?
    10-03-14 08:23 AM
    The whole industry (not just BlackBerry) is moving away from Flash and on to newer things. BlackBerry is staying up to date by doing like the rest of the industry. You may find app(s) to help you in this regard.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-03-14 08:27 AM
    I don't know wich licensing fees are, but on android you can simply download flash for free since android doesn't support flash, no need to "invest resources"... I hope I can download it aswell for BB10 in the future updates if flash gets killed.
    Android flash is a hack. It is inconsistent in how it performs (and will eventually not work at all as browser code continues to evolve), and is a big security hole.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-03-14 08:34 AM
    Android flash is a hack. It is inconsistent in how it performs (and will eventually not work at all as browser code continues to evolve), and is a big security hole.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    Don't know how reliable it is on Android, but I had friends watching the same streams as me.

If it's inconsistent in how it performs, it's another good reason to leave flash as an option on BB10. Add just a swith to turn it off for people that is bothered with the presence of flash.
    10-03-14 08:37 AM

Did you kill her? why do you want to kill flash? What's bothering you with it's existance? I don't get it.

If there's people that use flash, why the hell "anti-flash brigade" wants to kill flash? It doesn't afect you, let other people use flash if they need to. It's not our fault that the content that we need is only availabe in flash for god sake... stop being selfish
    You care nothing about the technology, security flaws, or limitations of Flash. You just want to watch you videos.

Who's being selfish?

gfondeur likes this.
    10-03-14 08:42 AM
    You care nothing about the technology, security flaws, or limitations of Flash. You just want to watch you videos.

Who's being selfish?

I care about what I use. I don't buy "labels", I don't mid using a wooden stick if it's usefull to me. I like to watch sports on TV, so I watch on the phone when I can't on TV, whats your problem with that?

Guess what, removing a feature, doesn't matter how old it is, doesn't make it more "advanced" in technology, so I don't understand your point... HTML5 is the future, YES, but you don't have to unninstall flash to get HTML5. I should be concerned about flash limitations, not you, you don't use it....

I wonder where is your thread that wants to see flash killed.... Did you wait for 10.3.1 update to remember yourself that flash is a security flaw? If nobody uses flash and is a old technology why would one want to hack flash? Doesn't make sense in my book.

You're the one being selfish... Blackberry 10 always had flash, never had a security breach so far, and nobody ever complained about the flash feature until this thread came up... The "iluminati" now want to justify their "flash is old" with arguments made over the knee at last hour... Nobody complained about flash until now, how interesting... I wonder how many people have spied you until today
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-03-14 08:48 AM
    I have been able to do things others can't because of this feature. hopefully there is an alternative.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 08:48 AM
    I don't know if it's being taken away or not..

and I do agree that html5 is better..

But as others have said there are still PLENTY of websites that use flash and have no workarounds.. for me, as a real estate agent I can't access the back end of the mls system without it. Which means I'd no longer be able to look up properties unless I'm at my desk..that's a huge deal.

Why is the site still in flash? Why is even the new revision of the site that just came out last year still in flash? I have no idea.. but the provider is a slowly moving cog.. they didn't change it when all the ios and android users complained they sure aren't going to do anything about it when I tell them it no longer works on my BlackBerry..

So while I agree that html5 is better.. I can't force the content providers and webmasters to recode their sites.. loosing flash will completely eliminate my ability to work mobile in my business.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 08:57 AM
210 12345 ...