I think the problem is that instead of being on your wrist while sleeping... it'll be on the charging pod.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, you are probably right.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    Rowan M and KingOfQwerty like this.
    07-31-14 10:44 AM
    Really ?
    07-31-14 10:50 AM
    Doesn't matter to me, this smart watch thing is overblown and will not succeed in the long term. It is a fad.
    You lack a lot of vision, if you are a 100% sure about that.
    I am not a big sci-fi fan, but you probably should rewatch Star Trek TOS. They had some nice ideas for a show in the 60s.

Anyhow, there are a lot of possibilities for wearables to get extremely useful.
    And we are currently on the way to have advancements in terms of battery tech and miniaturization.

Size is a huge constraint, when it comes down to performance, and especially wearables are pretty limited in that department.
    But we just started with them, and the 2 different form factors we currently see are glasses and watches.
    Both are logical choices, because both are accessories humans have used for centuries.

To say that the smartwatch (or however we will call it in the future) is sure to fail, is very probably wrong. Yeah, the first few iterations won't change the world, but why should we stop where we currently are?
    The phone-market evolved away from keyboard phones to touchscreen ones, even though the vast majority didn't take the first iPhone seriously.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 10:55 AM
    I had a good debate with supporters of smart watches in fancy watches aka connectedly before. They are dumb, not classy at all and completely unnecessary. I rather have a quality nice looking swiss watch that only gives me the hour than a freaking watch that connects with my phone drains my battery life and does in a very limited manner what my phone already does pretty efficiently.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    BeautyEh likes this.
    07-31-14 01:34 PM
    I had a good debate with supporters of smart watches in fancy watches aka connectedly before. They are dumb, not classy at all and completely unnecessary. I rather have a quality nice looking swiss watch that only gives me the hour than a freaking watch that connects with my phone drains my battery life and does in a very limited manner what my phone already does pretty efficiently.

There can never be enough gadgets to plug and charge at night.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 04:15 PM
    The Iphone was a fad too...smh.. No vision at alll
    07-31-14 10:57 PM
    The Iphone was a fad too...smh.. No vision at alll
    No Apple had a solid music, and games market with its ipods. They simply jumped into putting it all together. I still remember when the ipods were the hottest thing around and I still remember countless of ppl using a phone for communicating and an ipod for music AND games. It was the app revolution. Vision I wouldn't say so it was a careful move to monopolize the market.

07-31-14 11:03 PM
    Apple people may soon have the iWatch. Google people have a bunch of different Google Watches. BlackBerry people have always and will continue to have Rolex, Patek Philippe, Harry Winston, Ulysse Nardin, Porsche Design, Audemars Piguet, Swiss Legend, Invicta, Cartier... need I go on. We just have better style, taste, and an eye for detail that Google and Apple people don't have.
    Freakin' hilarious. I refuse to believe that was typed with a straight face.

People, it's okay to like something, even if BBRY doesn't have it yet LOL.

I think wearables are here to stay. Probably still a bit raw for most people, but I remember when touchscreens and smartphones with cameras were derided as silly.

I think they can be useful, and it would be great if BBRY were involved in that sector. However, with BBRY's current focus, it makes sense that other things are more important at this time.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-31-14 11:52 PM
    Maybe a porsche design watch to complement the porsche design handsets. Should be a mechanical watch with only basic notifications, probably a small proprietary os that can read basic notifications from bb10 android Ios and windows.

Send from my Q10 in Duracell Mode
    08-01-14 07:01 AM
    I'd also like to wake up in the morning to a gentle vibration on my wrist rather than a jarring alarm. Especially if you can set a range of times to wake up and it can tell when you are in a good sleep stage to be woken up.

Fitbit Force does this already. I use the vibration alarm when I have to get up early to work out. I don't want to disturb my wife.

Fitbit Force also tracks your sleep efficiency. How many times you toss and turn. It also syncs with your device so you can set alarms and adjust the settings on the go. The only thing it's missing is the heart rate monitor but I have no doubt in my mind that it's coming in the near future.

A Fitbit is as far as I would go in regards to a "smart watch". It's all I really need.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 07:16 AM
    Love your post " donnation "....... Ohhh so true! BlackBerry Forever!!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 07:22 AM
    No Apple had a solid music, and games market with its ipods. They simply jumped into putting it all together. I still remember when the ipods were the hottest thing around and I still remember countless of ppl using a phone for communicating and an ipod for music AND games. It was the app revolution. Vision I wouldn't say so it was a careful move to monopolize the market.

Everyone knew that except BB....

Mike Lazaridis on the iPhone in November 2007: "Try typing a web key on a touchscreen on an Apple iPhone, that's a real challenge. You cannot see what you type"

Smartwatches are stupid!! We wear Rolexs and Audemars
    08-01-14 08:14 AM
    Fitbit Force does this already. I use the vibration alarm when I have to get up early to work out. I don't want to disturb my wife.

Fitbit Force also tracks your sleep efficiency. How many times you toss and turn. It also syncs with your device so you can set alarms and adjust the settings on the go. The only thing it's missing is the heart rate monitor but I have no doubt in my mind that it's coming in the near future.

A Fitbit is as far as I would go in regards to a "smart watch". It's all I really need.

Posted via CB10
    I'm waiting for now to see what apple has come up with. Seems likely they will announce their smartwatch in the next couple of months. If they don't announce it, or it's not as good as has been hyped, I'll probably get a fitbit.

08-03-14 09:36 AM
    Apple people may soon have the iWatch. Google people have a bunch of different Google Watches. BlackBerry people have always and will continue to have Rolex, Patek Philippe, Harry Winston, Ulysse Nardin, Porsche Design, Audemars Piguet, Swiss Legend, Invicta, Cartier... need I go on. We just have better style, taste, and an eye for detail that Google and Apple people don't have. That's probably why our productivity features of our devices far exceed those on the competition. All would go so perfectly with a Passport or a Porsche Design P'9983, even a Classic and a Z30. The reason being is BlackBerry is a device and brand synonymous with success, power, money, etc. Thanks to stereotyping and television/movies this is well known. It's seen as the capitalists phone. Well, all those watch brands are synonymous with the same things. Technology is great, but it can certainly ruin many things. We shouldn't let it ruin a classic, and elegant time piece, such as a watch. I'm happy to see BlackBerry not exploring smart watches. They are a device and software maker. It's what they do best. They are smart to leave the watch making up to the professionals.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    You left out my favorite, Franck Mueller:-))

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 02:19 PM
    What is this paperweight on my wrist?.....
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry Watch?-image.jpg   BlackBerry Watch?-image.jpg  
    08-03-14 05:29 PM
    What is this paperweight on my wrist?.....
    Si14 WearIT Sports Watch? Or Hot watch?

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 05:44 PM
    Hopefully never, and I really like and buy BlackBerry products. I say this because BlackBerry can't afford to divide it's focus onto other fields, it must stick to the mobile industry.
    08-03-14 09:38 PM
    Apple people may soon have the iWatch. Google people have a bunch of different Google Watches. BlackBerry people have always and will continue to have Rolex, Patek Philippe, Harry Winston, Ulysse Nardin, Porsche Design, Audemars Piguet, Swiss Legend, Invicta, Cartier... need I go on. We just have better style, taste, and an eye for detail that Google and Apple people don't have. That's probably why our productivity features of our devices far exceed those on the competition. All would go so perfectly with a Passport or a Porsche Design P'9983, even a Classic and a Z30. The reason being is BlackBerry is a device and brand synonymous with success, power, money, etc. Thanks to stereotyping and television/movies this is well known. It's seen as the capitalists phone. Well, all those watch brands are synonymous with the same things. Technology is great, but it can certainly ruin many things. We shouldn't let it ruin a classic, and elegant time piece, such as a watch. I'm happy to see BlackBerry not exploring smart watches. They are a device and software maker. It's what they do best. They are smart to leave the watch making up to the professionals.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    LMAO! Seriously???

You just made my day. :-)

Posted from a D618
    08-03-14 09:56 PM
    Pretentious much? I've learned today that smart watches are going to be limited to the 99% of the world who don't have watches that are 10s to 100s of thousands of dollars. Or at least the people who don't feel the need to wear their collection every single day.

Ok, I think Google and Apple can live within that 99%. They'll figure it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-03-14 11:24 PM
    Si14 WearIT Sports Watch? Or Hot watch?

Posted via CB10
    Allerta (now known as Pebble) INPulse BlackBerry smart watch!

*Beta* Allerta inPulse Smartwatch for BlackBerry Shows Up On Video (and yes, of course CrackBerry has one too) | CrackBerry.com
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-03-14 11:34 PM
    Wow, that's some serious time travelling ability you have there.
    From 2010. Wow.

BlackBerry actually had something like that :O

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 12:17 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't need to make a smart watch. It just needs to have an app to make it work with the brands that are out there.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 06:06 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't need to make a smart watch. It just needs to have an app to make it work with the brands that are out there.

Posted via CB10
    something like this?......

Talk2Watch - BlackBerry World
    08-04-14 10:35 PM
    I'm sure there are many who are very interested in smartwatches. I am not one of them.

I don't even like wearing "dumbwatches".

Depending on how popular and successful they turn out to be, it may make sense for BlackBerry to make one, but now is not the time.

They tried getting into the tablet market when they were failing in the smartphone market and we know how that turned out.

BlackBerry needs to return to profitability with their current offerings before really venturing out into other markets.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-05-14 07:29 AM
    Here's a minority opinion (maybe?) - the smartwatch is gimmicky, it doesn't really do enough that distinguishes it from a smartphone, and in various surveys, women will tend not to wear them if they're bulky. So no, I think it would be dumb for BB to go in this direction. There was an earlier CB thread to this effect that we all had a good debate on. I would just challenge any tech saavy person here to argue for the necessity of a smartwatch when they already have a phone that does 10x more things, and has a large enough screen to do them on.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) and Bluenoser63 like this.
    08-05-14 08:12 AM
54 123