At 22 july, business insiders published an article declaring that "[Microsoft] is going to merge all of its major versions of Windows into one huge Windows platform.
    Microsoft had been inching up to this for a while. At its developers conference in April, the company announced developer tools for ""Universal Windows Apps".
    (Read more: Nadella Merges Windows Phone, Windows - Business Insider)

Now this, if pulled off by MS, is a huge competitiveness factor that will affect highly consumer behaviour and positioning of windows phone in the global race for the unified pc/mobile OS, which in turn gets us to a mobile computer and "the internet of things".

Should MS make their unified OS stable and reasonable, I see a lot of potential added value, from single device use (no more mobiles vs laptops" to 1app for all to full usability of apps (eg office) in a mobile... considering the leading position in pc os that MS enjoys, I would say that this can be a huge blow on BlackBerry, since it would mean rapid adoption of Windows handsets in great numbers due to its added value, as well as attract lots of developers for the same reason.

What is your opinion in relation? Is BlackBerry now facing a huge giant and will have to diversify even more? Does the road become harder or it "will not matter"?

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 07-29-14 at 10:56 AM.
    Lar_spark likes this.
    07-29-14 10:39 AM
    Sure it makes it harder. Windows already is doing decent in some places and outselling BB. Having this unification is huge. Look at how far Apple and google are connected with everything
    currentodysseys likes this.
    07-29-14 10:43 AM
    One of my personal dreams is for my mobile to be my laptop for my work; Blackberry does that better than others at the moment (I am not using cloud systems due to privacy laws)

I will admit that after years of MS use I switched to mac (linux would be great but server and backoffice systems did not allow) but even now I have to use windows virtual machine for some things.

BUT: the mere thought that I can have my "laptop in my mobile" get to work, connect to screen+kb+mouse and ready to go with absolutely full functionality... that is heaven right there for me!

I am a big BlackBerry fun and mainly use it for the added value it provides on the mobility/compromise output and efficiency. If a windows mobile gets to run "proper" windows though... I am really keen in checking it out. I believe it can also hit android in the next 5 years if well developed. I think it may be one of the potentially huge tech moves of our times in many aspects. I would like to see BlackBerry' s opinion on that for sure...

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 10:53 AM
    Going to be a hard platform to beat at the #3 spot. Something to be said for having a true PC experience on a mobile device. Not sure how the phone version compares, but on a tablet is looks and acts just like a PC. Not sure if I'll ever buy a laptop again.... need my desktop for the "power" to do video conversions and tasks of that nature.
    07-29-14 10:59 AM
    What is your opinion in relation? Is BlackBerry now facing a huge giant and will have to diversify even more? Does the road become harder or it "will not matter"?

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    No.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    07-29-14 11:08 AM
    I really wonder how BlackBerry plans to compete with this. I'm very interested to see BlackBerry Blend but there are rumors it's not for consumers. BlackBerry needs synergy like this but has no other type of devices besides phones, which it is struggling with. Sometimes just makes me they they not be able to take a real shot at the consumer space for another couple years....which is a shame considering all the things QNX is capable of but hasn't been integrated into BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 11:08 AM
    Sounds like Microsoft will be what I want BB to be.
    As mentioned above, I'm also intrigued by having a true mobile
    pc in your pocket that you can carry around and just plug the peripherals into as needed.
    In a way the Passport physically is the ultimate compromise between the three choices now (phone, tablet and pc).
    Just the software falls short, docs to go namely, for a complete basic mobile computer.

All this without actually seeing one let alone trying one but its fun to speculate!
    07-29-14 09:50 PM
    Personally, my opinion, This is a bad idea. There are certain tools that are better at doing certain things. Trying to be the do all be all ecosystem is not going to work. Windows 8/8.1 has been a flat out failure and now Microsoft is going to continue down that path? Again, this is all my opinion.
    Made in flanders likes this.
    07-29-14 10:00 PM
    Interesting. Microsoft seems finally be unifying that potentially powerful ecosystem.
    07-29-14 10:09 PM
    Microserf, just stick to what you do best. Providing a platform for BES, BB Link and BlackBerry development tools.

Let the professionals (aka. BlackBerry) handle the rest.

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike likes this.
    07-29-14 10:17 PM
    When I think about it while having one pocketable device that does it all seems appealing.
    I may feel different the first time I drop it, loose it, have it stolen etc...
    lift likes this.
    07-29-14 10:24 PM
    I also think that MS has a hard road ahead and that windows8 is not where it should. Take the last issue with updates and connectivity as an example: when your pc goes to sleep mode, waking it up messes network connectivity big time.

Also MS faces the challenge of the corporate world migrating to windows8 or "unified windows" in the future, which is a pains-staking road for them and highly costly for enterprises.

On the other hand, if you consider an enterprise with say 1000 employees needing a pc to work at, I can only imagine the cost reduction from having a unified OS on mobile devices + BYOD...

That raises the issue of security, so I would speculate that BlackBerry balance type of solution (work/personal separation in the like of BES) would gain huge importance. I think we are looking at phones being terminals and using company servers via such a solution for work in the average professional.

Thus security, being a strength for BlackBerry is something that will be crucial in such scenarios and MS is really having its issues there.

Would this lead others like apple to go down that road? Most probably I think so. With all this ecosystem mutation, I see BlackBerry as it is now facing great challenges, as being potentially forced to become an added value component to serve specific needs with security; but users will look for convenience and that means a device that can do it all...

W8 is not really a "favourite" for many but it is a matter of time until it gets sorted out and others like Apple follow on the same road. I think than sooner or later it will get to unified OSs that work well.

I am having a hard time seeing BlackBerry able to challenge this and wonder how they will place themselves. Or maybe they are planning to bring QNX in to counter balance while there still is time?

Again, thinking for instance that I can purchase the exact same software suite (insert your needed name here) that will be fully functional across all "platforms" via a unified OS id a huge deal... it also changes cost-structures improving it on the dev side and provides an opportunity for cheaper software with higher profitability... there are so many angles on this.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 12:59 AM
    Whenever MS went beyond PC area, the results were horrible, just remember WinCE on your iPaqs.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:12 AM
    ...or maybe we will see a BlackBerry component sandboxing a BlackBerry environment add on on a windows OS machine in order to take advantage of BlackBerry solutions on enterprise-personal space? I see this as a really plausible scenario if MS and BlackBerry would be willing to explore such roadmap. In a way it is what BES is doing and BBM is an example of such app as potential solutions BlackBerry would offer...? what will all this mean for bb10 operated devices though?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:13 AM
    I hope BlackBerry Blend is the solution to this issue, but considering how bad BlackBerry Link is, I unfortunately do not have a high expectation on this.

The phone and the pc do not need a unified OS, however, I would still like a seamless integration such as answering/making calls and texts through pc, and automatic syncing.

The only reason I avoided Windows Phone was that their hardware simply sucks, with no physical keyboard and no option of having removable battery (at least in Nokia lineup).

But yes, BlackBerry does have a tough fight ahead.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    07-30-14 01:13 AM
    The thought sounds powerful but its capability is yet to be seen. Microsoft has too many stability issues to work before that can be implemented. Yes, they may have the resources and funding to iron out the glitches in there software and applications but this is slow coming. Look at the launch of Windows 8; how much of a disaster that was.

Concerns: What is Microsoft to do with their mobile device, skype and MS Lync? Why has Microsoft not included or integrated Skype into there operating systems as oppose to a call feature recently integrated in your Hotmail or Live account?

Another concern, is where on their roadmap does this implementation fit? Where in the strategic plan is this objective sit?

Most organisations of such capacity have 5 - 10 years plans and none of us know where this project/implementation will come into play at its most effective moment. Like BlackBerry, you are given or told that within a years' time the company should break even in profits - within 3 - 5 years that handsets should be back on track with all the other projects in play.

Keep those in mind before we use these headlines as scare tactics.

My 2 pence
    07-30-14 01:18 AM
    Whenever MS went beyond PC area, the results were horrible, just remember WinCE on your iPaqs.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, I had one lol! But the point is that this is 7 years later and even if they do not get it right now, they will eventually. They have lots of information to point out the direction they should focus on and they are much closer to a solution that might work while they hold the 1st position in windows being no1 choice for pc users both on personal and corporate worlds, that is something that undoubtly gives them an edge. And when you can have a #uad or octa core processor with 4gb ram and a decent (mora than decent) Graphics processor on compact devices, I think the tech is now almost there for this to be applicable (+there are some revolutionary chipset production techs being studied and advancing).

In short, if they "fix" windows, it is a bout a mobile running windows not a windows version for mobile, so this is hugely different now imo.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:19 AM
    The thought sounds powerful but its capability is yet to be seen. Microsoft has too many stability issues to work before that can be implemented. Yes, they may have the resources and funding to iron out the glitches in there software and applications but this is slow coming. Look at the launch of Windows 8; how much of a disaster that was.

Concerns: What is Microsoft to do with their mobile device, skype and MS Lync? Why has Microsoft not included or integrated Skype into there operating systems as oppose to a call feature recently integrated in your Hotmail or Live account?

Another concern, is where on their roadmap does this implementation fit? Where in the strategic plan is this objective sit?

Most organisations of such capacity have 5 - 10 years plans and none of us know where this project/implementation will come into play at its most effective moment. Like BlackBerry, you are given or told that within a years' time the company should break even in profits - within 3 - 5 years that handsets should be back on track with all the other projects in play.

Keep those in mind before we use these headlines as scare tactics.

My 2 pence
    I agree with you in your concerns for sure. It is not about using headlines as scare tactics though. 5-10 years imo is not a lot of time when it comes to R+D for such a project. If a company intends to "answer" that move, I think it is about time to get a strategic positioning and resources allocation plan on the table in order to stay in the race (be it by diversification or heads on approach or what not); I remember Gates saying that tablets "were not ready to unleash a useful platform on" (paraphrasing) when the ipad came out. He mainly referred to tech and OS variation (i.e 'mobile' os). Gates has not shown reservation in saying that he dreamt of a single device with which one could operate in every aspect of life, from office/work to performing tasks in the house.

The time tablets could not accommodate full os has passed tech wise; practically we now have tablets with full W8 Os on them. Only phones are left to tackle)(and imo the ironing of the OS) ; if now they successfully implement the OS unification I think it is a serious issue that no company in the sector can afford to ignore, even if MS admittedly has huge challenges in quality issues and even if, as I agree with you, even though they promise that unified W9 for 2015 we may need a 5 more years period maybe for such option to be prime in functioning and adopted and maybe roll out on enterprise (normally 5-10 years as you comment).

The point though is that if the OS is functioning well in the initial iteration, a second version being consolidated and securely tested, may lead to higher adoption rates due to the added value potential it has?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 07-30-14 at 02:19 AM.
    07-30-14 01:26 AM
    It entirely depends on how good it is. When I hear "one huge platform", I imagine running Windows 7 on my Windows Phone, complete with the capability of running things like Steam, Android Developer Tools, Microsoft Visual Studio, etc.

If it's just Windows Phone but better connected, then it won't be as big a blow as it would be in my dream. Most things are connected already thanks to cloud services these days

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    07-30-14 02:14 AM
    I really don't think windows has BlackBerry as a target!

I believe they are going straight after apple!

I also believe ultimately they will succeed.

BlackBerry will be bought over by the winner of the mobile race for its security and work mobility feautures.

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    07-30-14 02:16 AM
    It entirely depends on how good it is. When I hear "one huge platform", I imagine running Windows 7 on my Windows Phone, complete with the capability of running things like Steam, Android Developer Tools, Microsoft Visual Studio, etc.

If it's just Windows Phone but better connected, then it won't be as big a blow as it would be in my dream. Most things are connected already thanks to cloud services these days
    Well keep imaging as x86 program's will never run on an ARM device. Unless completely rewritten for them.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 02:19 AM
    I really don't think windows has BlackBerry as a target!

I believe they are going straight after apple!

I also believe ultimately they will succeed.

BlackBerry will be bought over by the winner of the mobile race for its security and work mobility feautures.

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    I neither believe that MS has BlackBerry as a target but such major shift on the IT world will undoubtedly affect BlackBerry and call for major positioning decisions. I do not know if it will be absorbed or not, but I think it is already diversifying into assuming an "added value proposition" as a "feature" and ecosystem enhancement company via corporate platform solutions integrated with other OSs. Still, I think BB10 as a mobile OS is facing serious issues in terms of positioning and structure in such environment and I cannot help to wonder how it may be integrated in such environments. I think it is a quite interesting situation.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 02:24 AM
    Well keep imaging as x86 program's will never run on an ARM device. Unless completely rewritten for them.

Posted via CB10
    I really do not see how that's relevant; for all I know it could be using a completely proprietary CPU that only Aliens from MIB can comprehend. I am the customer, not the designer, the details are unimportant to me.

When I hear "Windows Phone", I remember an OS designed for a phone and is incapable of running desktop applications; when I hear "Windows" I remember an OS designed for desktop and is capable of running desktop applications. It's just a fact of life

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-30-14 04:10 AM
    I really do not see how that's relevant; for all I know it could be using a completely proprietary CPU that only Aliens from MIB can comprehend. I am the customer, not the designer, the details are unimportant to me.

When I hear "Windows Phone", I remember an OS designed for a phone and is incapable of running desktop applications; when I hear "Windows" I remember an OS designed for desktop and is capable of running desktop applications. It's just a fact of life

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    I agree in that users are not supposed to know the details in coding. What does stand out from your post though in relation to "universal" windows is precisely that MS will be changing the "when I hear windows" perception: it is supposed to get to "when I hear windows, I remember of ONE OS running at the same time on a windows pc, mobile and tablet, with software being the exact same in one OS, functional on all those windows powered devices"

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 05:31 AM
    I agree in that users are not supposed to know the details in coding. What does stand out from your post though in relation to "universal" windows is precisely that MS will be changing the "when I hear windows" perception: it is supposed to get to "when I hear windows, I remember of ONE OS running at the same time on a windows pc, mobile and tablet, with software being the exact same in one OS, functional on all those windows powered devices"

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that's exactly what I expect: the ability to run desktop applications. Let's not kid ourselves: desktop applications are orders magnitude better than smartphone apps, thanks to the fact that desktop generally can be upgraded in parts and/or are connected to heavy-duty batteries (in case of laptop or UPS). Take, for example, Autodesk and Adobe applications. Unless I can run those, I don't see a compelling reason to be hyped with the "universal Windows".

Windows 8 was supposed to be one-step closer to that with Microsoft Surface, and it basically ruins desktop experience with tablet-centric navigation. An OS that fits well with desktop, tablet, and smartphone is an OS that is a force to be reckoned with. Heck, maybe I'll buy one so I can play Skyrim on the go

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    currentodysseys and mornhavon like this.
    07-30-14 06:10 AM
65 123