I currently have a Curve through Verizon with the $30.00 (non-enterprise) BB Plan for access to my Yahoo account. My girlfriend and I went into a Verizon store to get upgrades for us both. She has an old nokia basic flip. The rep was all over her to upgrade to a berry...even though she doesn't need one. One for me and a free one for her. We had to tell him 3 times that she wasn't interested....not sure of the hard push, must be a commission thing.

Then he suggested the Rogue for her. Unfortunately we ran out of time and had to leave but should be heading back sometime this week. We would prefer to go back a little more educated and tell them exactly what we want vs. being hit hard again with the Blackberry sales pitch. Looking for some advice....

Hearing the "Rogue Sales Pitch" it seems like I can get push e-mail on the Rogue via "mobile e-mail" for $20 bucks less a month?...does anybody know if this is accurate. I would have to bump up from a select plan to a connect plan (+$10) but it would allow me to remove the BB data plan saving me $30 bucks with the net result being a monthly saving of $20. I would still get unlimited web browsing and e-mail. I just want to make sure the e-mail experience is similar to what i'm used to. It seams like this mobile e-mail service is identicle to blackberries e-mail service, plus I like the slide out keyboard and the rep told me the screen the Rogue has is the best in the store quality wise.

I played around with it for a little while...not really a "touch screen" fan. A buddy of mine has the Storm and he is constantly complaining how awful the touch screen is...so I'm a little hesitant about this feature The touch on the Rogue seemed pretty solid...where ever I wanted to go the touch screen got me there with ease. He also mentioned some way to get corporate e-mail as well for $10 bucks more a month, but I don't need that....may need in the future should I move up in the company I work for....so it sounds like it may be "future proof" as well. I was considering upgrading to the Tour but just may go with the Rogue instead. Not really sure if I'm "downgrading" from my Curve to a standard phone, but for $20 bucks a month this makes sense to me....am I missing something?? Or are alot of other Blackberry owners considering the same move in order to save some cash??....thanks in advance for your advice.
    09-19-09 10:36 AM
    unlimited plans with verizon are spendy. Good luck with it though. I switched from VwW to another carrier because of the cost for 3 national lines with unlimited everything being much less, and coverage in our area from VzW being poor.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-19-09 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Content moderation
    09-19-09 10:53 AM
    There have been a few people who purchased the Samsung Rogue and made claims that the pushed email does not work as describe and that they had to tack on $15.00 additional in order to get push email. He's pushing the blackberry because of the commission that it provides. A simple upgrade from a regular phone to another regular phone doesn't pay the same as moving from a regular phone to a phone requiring a data plan... Don't make too many assumptions based on your interaction. If anything Blackberry maybe losing its grip once the Android phones start getting pushed out later this year.
    09-19-09 11:16 AM
    I heard the "mobile email" doesnt allow you to open attachments and have to log in just to get an email. A true bberry email u get to view attachments and is a true push through email.
    09-19-09 11:16 AM
    RIM has lead the smartphone industry for 10 years. This may not be that amazing to some, but they have set the standard for business professionals for years, and will continue to do so for years to come.
    09-19-09 11:25 AM
    My father has a Samsung on AT&T, his webmail sends a notice that he has mail, he clicks the e-mail button and he can read the mail. He cannot open attachments, though.

I think Shadow Black is right. When a more advanced OS, whether it is WebOS or Android, has more handset availability, Bberry may lose its grip. The Tour was not a significant change from the Curve. I wonder what RIM is doing behind the scenes we don't know about to remedy the stagnant OS. I am sure they have something.
    09-19-09 11:26 AM
    I heard the "mobile email" doesnt allow you to open attachments and have to log in just to get an email. A true bberry email u get to view attachments and is a true push through email.
    Yea the rogue is for people who are casual emailers not folks who need their emails up to the second.
    09-19-09 11:26 AM
    RIM has lead the smartphone industry for 10 years. This may not be that amazing to some, but they have set the standard for business professionals for years, and will continue to do so for years to come.
    IMO it also indicates that RIM have expertise in this field, BECAUSE they have led the smartphone industry for 10 years already. This can only mean newer BBs will be of higher quality (software/hardware) and that RIM really listens to their customers...

...or do they?
    09-19-09 11:27 AM
    Nice post, being educated before making a purchase is paramount. Just remember, a blackberry is limited in the MB email use. Here is a good link explaining BIS email service. View Document Compare it with others before hunkering down to purchase a phone.
    09-19-09 11:29 AM
    I know Rogers offers a $15 unlimited BlackBerry email plan, and it supports attachments and everything. A good deal in my opinion if someone is looking for just the basics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-09 12:15 PM
    Thanks for all your replies and keep them comming!!

If salespeople are getting paid more to sell Blackberry, it just leads me to believe that they are "overselling" it's benefits, not that it's a scam or anything like that.....it's kinda like selling "rustproofing" in the movie Fargo....lol. I see all these soccer moms touting there Blackberries around....trying to look important when they don't have a job and they just have one as a status symbol. Kinda makes sense that sales reps would push the service to them.

For 240 bucks a year I'm really tempted to make the switch....I just hate paying for something because of the "name" that goes along with it.

I've had my Curve for 2+ years and have only needed to read attachments maybe 5 times...plus I eneded up wipping out my laptop because trying to read an excell spreadsheet on the small screen made my eyes bleed.

According to Verizon's website the Mobile e-mail feature is push and I will get motified immediately when an e-mail is sent. I probably receive about 100 -150 e-mails through Yahoo a day, of which 25 - 40% are relevant and require a reply
    09-19-09 01:07 PM
    Did someone change the title of my thread!?!?!?!....I thought I listed it as:

"Is Blackberry loosing it's edge"??
    09-19-09 01:10 PM
    Did someone change the title of my thread!?!?!?!....I thought I listed it as:

"Is Blackberry loosing it's edge"??
    A mod probably changed it.
    09-19-09 01:43 PM
    Yes, Moderators can edit thread titles to reflect the actual content of the thread. Your original title did not describe the content enough for the General Discussion forum.
    09-19-09 01:43 PM
    That kinda tells me alot...I really wanted to understand the differences between blackberry and all the other devices out there, specifically phones that can receive push e-mail....not just the Rogue. Probably won't get as many replies....guess I can't even get an unbaised opinion here. Oh well
    09-19-09 01:53 PM
    That kinda tells me alot...I really wanted to understand the differences between blackberry and all the other devices out there, specifically phones that can receive push e-mail....not just the Rogue. Probably won't get as many replies....guess I can't even get an unbaised opinion here. Oh well
    You will most likely not get an unbiased opinion here. Some people on this site will put their BB ahead of their family. But just try out a phone you like and if it doesn't work, then get something else. At least you can alway fall back on a BB if your next phone of choice doesn't work out. Good luck with what you do, there are a lot of good devices out there to pick from.
    09-19-09 01:56 PM
    Well..I took the plundge!! Went to VZW store yesterday and picked up 2 Rogues...one for me and one for the gf. Again, I got hit up hard core with the BB sales pitch (different sales rep). I was even told that my user experience would be no where as close with the Rogue over my Sprint Curve and that I was making a "big mistake". Can't believe this guy was so arrogant....he just got a sale and he's slamming my buying decision!!?!?!

Anyways, I have to let you guys know...this phone is pretty amazing. The touch is "spot on"...hung out with my buddy who has the Storm to watch some college FB last night and he said the Rogue blows it out of the water touch wise. I really like the slide out keyboard...gives it a nice "wow" factor...kinda nervous of the sliding mechanism though...will it break in the future?? So far it slides out perfectly and feels real sturdy. The screen on this thing is unbelievable...picture and video quality is the best I've seen....even compared it to the same vid on the Storm and it was much better...although the Storm's larger screen size was nice. As far as e-mail goes....works perfectly with both my Yahoo and Comcast accounts. It took me all of 30 seconds to set up my accounts and start receiving mail...even integrates with my phone book entries. I was receiving e-mails before they even hit my on-line in-box (common with my old Curve as well). One of the nicest things abou this phone is how easy it is to navigate the menus....a lot of thought was put into the interface and it's extremely intuitive. I have yet to even look at the manual...no need. I can't say that about my Curve. Also the Rogue was 50 bucks cheaper than the Tour I was considering.

Lastly....I really think Blackberry is starting to become a scam.....not in the enterprise world, but with average consumers. Now don't slam me here. I loved my Curve and the service....I'm not talking about the devices or the BB service...I'm talking about the carriers...at least Verizon & Sprint as far as I know. They charge 3 times as much as for Blackberry service as opposed to e-mail on a regular phone. Add in the hard sell to buy BB by 2 seperate sales reps on 2 seperate occasions (obviously to get a bigger commission) and the fact that my Rogue works just as good and has more features, better form factor, better screen and is more intuitive....really makes me think that informed buyers who do their homework may opt not to go with BB. It seems that the carriers are really forcing customers to pay a premum for a brand name and a perceived advantage.

I really like Blackberry...I just hope carriers realize that customers aren't stupid and will eventually catch on to this. In the mean time, this could really hurt Blackberry if they don't lower their prices.

Thanks for all your replies. Keep em comming!!!!....appreciate any coments you have and would be happy to answer any questions.
    09-20-09 07:18 AM
    Rogue is about the equivalant as a samsung eternity. Although a nice phone is is no smartphone. I like the true push through email. In my opinion I would of stayed with a blackberry. Also, touchscreens arent for me.
    09-20-09 10:20 AM
    It is likely in the next few years though that these enhanced multimedia phones will bridge the gap that people have been complaining about. Some people want the email without having to pay a lot of money for it. This puts them in that category. They may not have the number of apps that the Blackberry and Iphone have but it provides them with exactly what they NEED.
    09-20-09 12:00 PM
    Okay, you love your Rogue, cool. But bashing BlackBerry on a Blackberry user's forum is just silly.

As for your complaint, you do realize BB's run on RIM's network, not the carrier's right? That's why BES/BIS is necessary.
    I will repeat myself for those of you who didn't read my last post. I never "bashed" RIM, Blackberry or Blackberry Devices. I said I loved my Curve and the Blackberry service. What I reffered to as a scam was the fact that carriers are charging 3 times the price for what is essentially the same exact service on a consumer level....not corporate or enterprise. The only difference I can tell is the whole "attachement" feature...which is not that big of a deal. IMO, it's just not worth the extra $240 a year....I just don't see the value in it.

Not sure what you mean by "push"...but I'm getting my e-mails on my Rogue before they hit my laptop. I don't have to open the e-mail application on my phone or keep it open...they just show up.

I gotcha on the whole BES/BIS thing....but the data still has to go through the "Carriers Pipe", not to mention they are the ones billng me for the service. I don't believe RIM gets a piece of the revenue?....do they?
    09-20-09 04:19 PM
    I don't believe RIM gets a piece of the revenue?....do they? ...
    Yes. Research in Motion earned 12.7% ($1.4 Billion CDN) of their net revenue from the Network Operations Center, according to the '09 Annual Report.

Research In Motion

BIS and BES service have contribued to that total. Round numbers, each carrier is paying RIM $5/Subscriber/Month for the service, the remainder goes to the carrier for data over their network.

09-20-09 04:43 PM
    Hi Crackhead,

I just bought the Samsung Rogue , coming from a BB Tour. Although not a "smart phone", the Rogue is a great device and a good option for those wanting to save on the monthly $$...like myself.

Could you elaborate on how your getting push e-mail? On mine, I am able to get an alert saying I have a new e-mail but that's it. To view my e-mails I still have to go though the e-mail application. I'm not sure how you can get yours to just show up without opening the e-mail app.

Thanks!!...enjoy the new phone
    09-20-09 04:50 PM
    I think the Rogue is a cool phone; i think it really depends if you like the notifications actually pushing to you or if you don't have a problem going in and physically checking your email.

I had someone buy a Rogue from me because he wanted to control when he dealt with his email, as opposed to getting a constant notification.

I actually tested the Rogue out too; its a cool phone. I didn't have troubles with the touch screen and I also found it easy to navigate through the shortcuts.
    09-20-09 07:15 PM

I've had my Curve for 2+ years and have only needed to read attachments maybe 5 times...plus I eneded up wipping out my laptop because trying to read an excell spreadsheet on the small screen made my eyes bleed.
    Hold on...so after "2+ years of owning your curve" now you realize you've been spending too much money and that the screen is too small?...and that lead you to get a rouge?... Nice....
    09-20-09 08:19 PM
    Skinnhc,

Contracts generally last two years, do they not? It doesn't make a difference when he realized it seeing how there's nil you can do about it for two years.

So if someone wants to save on the smart phone data plans, what non-smart-phone would you propose? Evidently not the Rogue according to your arrogant post.

Don't be a jackass.
    09-20-09 09:14 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD