Hello, I have never had a smart phone before but I've done a ton of research and seen my friends use them. So I'm due for an upgrade/will be changing plans and am looking at a Blackberry- I think i'm looking at either the 8320 or 8900 on t-mobile, or 8330 on Verizon.

My question is , should I wait for the 8900 to be released, and how much do you expect it to cost (with a new plan), as opposed to getting a 8320 which I can get for ~$100 with a new plan?

The reason I would consider waiting for the 8900 (if cost worthy) would be the GPS function. I also am unsure of whether it is necessary to pay extra to be able to use the GPS on the 8900 or the 8330. Can anyone clear this up as well?

My last question is, my biggest hesitation with the 8330 (which I can get for free with new plan) is lack of wifi. Having never had a smart phone I don't know how fast data service is, but they always say wifi is faster. Also pondering the option of using the UMA feature.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Last edited by hammock; 01-15-09 at 03:15 AM.
    01-15-09 03:03 AM
    01-15-09 03:07 AM
    Hello, I have never had a smart phone before but I've done a ton of research and seen my friends use them. So I'm due for an upgrade/will be changing plans and am looking at a Blackberry- I think i'm looking at either the 8320 or 8900 on t-mobile, or 8330 on Verizon.

My question is , should I wait for the 8900 to be released, and how much do you expect it to cost (with a new plan), as opposed to getting a 8320 which I can get for ~$100 with a new plan?

The reason I would consider waiting for the 8900 (if cost worthy) would be the GPS function. I also am unsure of whether it is necessary to pay extra to be able to use the GPS on the 8900 or the 8330. Can anyone clear this up as well?

My last question is, my biggest hesitation with the 8330 (which I can get for free with new plan) is lack of wifi. Having never had a smart phone I don't know how fast data service is, but they always say wifi is faster. Also pondering the option of using the UMA feature.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Unless the carrier blocks GPS on 8900 for some reason, there will be free GPS (turn by turn apps). aMazeGPS, nav4all for example.

Regards to wifi and speed... i think you should be more concerned about lack of 3G on 8900. That will drastically reduce the speed of the data service compared to 8330 which is 3g enabled.
    01-15-09 04:41 AM
    I have verizon and had the 8330 and have a 8130 currently and I would say having wifi is no advantage to me. I used wifi on my iPhone and compared it to the speed of my 8130 and honestly there was no difference. Until I walked out of that hot spot and have no more wifi so slow data(8900) because of no 3g

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 05:02 AM
    Hmm so the 3G thing is that big of a deal huh? That's funny because I haven't seen any negative comments so far for the 8900

Also just wanted to remind you that Verizon locks the GPS on the 8330, so I have to pay $10 a month just to use their own proprietary software for it?

You guys are awesome - This is kind of what I was looking for, the opinions of some people that actually know what they're doing, to help me make my decision.
    Last edited by hammock; 01-15-09 at 02:09 PM.
    01-15-09 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD