I was just listening to the Bill Simmons Report Podcast with Mark Cuban (The B.S. Report: 3/5 - ESPN It's towards the end) and Cuban was asked what he thought the next big thing, for the next 5 years, and he thought that it was multitasking and apps on tv. Stating that there will never be a replacement for live events and that people will want to tweet or post to facebook straight through their tv.

And while you can go to the tv menu, select the app that you want and then post stuff, the integration and multitasking isn't quite there. I thought this would be a great niche for Blackberry, more specifically QNX. They are already in the car market and the TV market seems like a pretty simple transition. Imagine using a better version of Blackberry Bridge for controlling your tv, dvd player, receiver etc. This would be a great way to expand the BB ecosystem and "force" people to (re)adopt Blackberry.

The problem would be getting the OS on TV's, obviously Samsung, LG and Sony etc. are out but Phillips, Sharp, Westinghouse, Vizio, etc. would be potential buyers/investors.

Thoughts?
    03-06-12 01:04 PM
    I think RIM is very well placed with QNX and the integrated ecosystem it's developing.

A couple of months ago I read something about a new wireless transmission protocol the UN passed and it's supposedly much faster than 4G LTE and we'll see it in a few years.

This means, I presume, the internet will be the source for 'everything' (including TV and movies) and the playbook, hooked-up to a screen, will be the conduit or like TATs recent cool demo showed, the user could throw content on screens.

The phone being used as a remote and hooking-up the playbook to the TV is the beginning of exciting times
    03-06-12 08:01 PM
    I think RIM is very well placed with QNX and the integrated ecosystem it's developing.

A couple of months ago I read something about a new wireless transmission protocol the UN passed and it's supposedly much faster than 4G LTE and we'll see it in a few years.

This means, I presume, the internet will be the source for 'everything' (including TV and movies) and the playbook, hooked-up to a screen, will be the conduit or like TATs recent cool demo showed, the user could throw content on screens.

The phone being used as a remote and hooking-up the playbook to the TV is the beginning of exciting times
    I was thinking that the TV it self would actually run QNX but could also be controlled by the playbook or a BB. Imagine having one show run on your PB and another on the TV.

i highly doubt it they keep on losing market share in the smartphone biz
    now you want them to invest in tvs hahaha

+ Samsung, LG and Sony make phones why would they partner with rim
    I don't want them to invest in TVs themselves. I want them to produce the OS for TVs, DVD Players, Cable Boxes etc. I stated in my post that those TV manufacturers would obviously be out.
    Last edited by mckillio; 03-07-12 at 02:36 PM.
    03-07-12 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD