BlackBerry running Android is an actual point of differentiation. The Android carriers might start selling the phones again.

A consumer walks into a store and sees a Z30. Plays with it. Rep says, "Actually, it's a BlackBerry."

If you can actually secure a droid device, there's BlackBerry's advantage. Consumers want privacy, so BlackBerry can provide security, which can lead to privacy. Being able to customize what data you send to Google can be good. I don't like the idea of requiring someone to use a Gmail address though.
    08-01-15 04:33 PM
    If consumers were that concerned with privacy then people wouldn't buy Android devices, but they do in massive amounts.
    08-01-15 05:05 PM
    BlackBerry running Android is an actual point of differentiation. The Android carriers might start selling the phones again.

A consumer walks into a store and sees a Z30. Plays with it. Rep says, "Actually, it's a BlackBerry."

If you can actually secure a droid device, there's BlackBerry's advantage. Consumers want privacy, so BlackBerry can provide security, which can lead to privacy. Being able to customize what data you send to Google can be good. I don't like the idea of requiring someone to use a Gmail address though.
    ... in theory. However, with high privacy, comes too much hassle for most. Add to that the fact that the high security of Blackberry comes through BES, and you're at a place where most people wouldn't go for it.

Hell, anyway, security online is a moot point. There are too many ways to break through the walls of security, plus the fact that many so-called privacy-conscious people still have no clue as to secure something like Facebook, for example. They just don't care about it enough, or are too lazy.

What I think would be Blackberry's advantage, is marketing. Market the phones for consumers. I know loads of consumers who use iPhones or Android devices, where all they use are the usual suspects in regards to social media, texting and email, and as a phone. They don't play games, they don't use any apps that are not available on BBOS10.

However, in Denmark there isn't a single retailer of Blackberry phones. Not one. Nada. There's absolutely no marketing for them at all. And to be honest, I doubt that Denmark is a unique country in that regards.

If Blackberry really wanted to do something they could. They could market the hell out of their devices, their OS and their UI. But they don't. So people don't buy them. Simple as that.
    08-01-15 05:26 PM