In my opinion, BB10 is very user friendly and easy to use, actually one of the most intuitive platforms around. However, I must say that it takes a couple of days to get acquainted with the gesture based navigation which could be the reason why people who just play around with it in a store get the initial impression of a complicated OS.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 04:45 AM
    I also think Android UI is more complicated than the BlackBerry 10 one.

Posted via CB10
    The majority of the population would disagree with that.
    05-17-15 04:50 AM
    How does changing the basic color scheme make it any more or less confusing? The operation didn't change at all.
    As I already said many times the change of the two colored settings screens (consequently white input fields on black background) to the now one colored entire black screens was a very bad decision. The user can in many situations not recognize the controls anymore, but he should tap on them. A very good example for a really bad GUI design is the settings screen for the Notifications. It took me really a while (and several posts here) until I understood this screen with the list of profiles, and I'm not unexperienced, I'm a developer myself. This is for sure a violation of I don't know how many good old GUI development rules. Furthermore it's very hard to see on bad light conditions, perhaps under direct sunlight. And finally this decision was made absolutely without any serious reason. Under 10.2 the GUI was sophisticated, handy and consequent, under 10.3 the user has in many situation to guess what happens, he must learn how to use it, and that's never good, that's crap.
    05-17-15 05:02 AM
    A lot of people don't realize that the three vertical dots in the bottom right corner give a lot of extra options. So without them, the OS is indeed confusing because it looks like you can't do very much. I've had to show several BB10 users these additional options, and they were amazed. Previously, they had been frustrated with their phones.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    05-17-15 06:56 AM
    The majority (afaict) doesn't know their phones can do a hotspot, left alone where to dig up the settings inside the Android settings menu... on BB10 it's one swipe down and a tap... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    ssbtech likes this.
    05-17-15 07:13 AM
    It's not at all confusing, it works the same way as any other os.

If you want confusing, try Sailfish coming from a Button Phone

Posted via CB10
    Jolla Sailfish OS confusing? anyone who uses BB10 can use Sailfish OS an update of Nokia N9 Meego both very easy to use.
    05-17-15 09:26 AM
    Jolla Sailfish OS confusing? anyone who uses BB10 can use Sailfish OS an update of Nokia N9 Meego both very easy to use.
    I know, I did say "coming from a Button Phone" for a reason.
    05-17-15 10:15 AM
    The majority of the population would be biased android users that never used BB10 therefore not having a real base for comparison.

#JustSaying
    05-17-15 10:16 AM
    The majority of the population would be biased android users that never used BB10 therefore not having a real base for comparison.

#JustSaying
    I agree. When people say CONFUSING, I'm not sure if they mean that it is difficult to learn or just much different from what they are currently using. I guess it depends on how much effort you want to put into a new UI.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    05-17-15 10:26 AM
    If you don't like it , get whatever works for you .
    (There's no need to make excuses !)

BTW , recently bought a Z10 for my 77 year old dad. It is his first smart phone , set it up in Italian ( he immigrated in the 60's ) took about an hour to show him and away he went !

He is loving it !
    Especially flicking words on bbm !

Complicated , I think not !
    Glad he's enjoying his phone goodayeh :-)

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    goodayeh likes this.
    05-17-15 10:38 AM
    The majority (afaict) doesn't know their phones can do a hotspot, left alone where to dig up the settings inside the Android settings menu... on BB10 it's one swipe down and a tap... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    Actually, for most Androids the settings menu should also be accessible with a swipe down on notifications and a tap.

There is also a settings icon/shortcut in the app drawer, of course, to make the OS super intuitive for the elderly who often can't find GUI elements and don't know how to use gestures.
    pantlesspenguin and MC_A_DOT like this.
    05-17-15 10:49 AM
    Despite actual hands on time with a Classic (and a screen cam of me on my Z30), my brother wants to go iPhone, stating many reasons, one of which is that the BB10 UI is too confusing. I'm baffled by this. A red herring? Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Not a red herring at all, just a perception of the word "confusing". There's confused meaning "I'm lost, I don't understand.", and then there's "I'm confused, why did they think that was a good idea - it should be different." As a technician your brother probably has some thoughts on how and where settings and configurations ought to be for him, and prefers the way iOS does things. It's not like it's the first time around here.
    05-17-15 11:02 AM
    The majority of the population would have no basis for comparison as they've never tried BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and gfondeur like this.
    05-17-15 11:10 AM
    For the most part people get what they deserve and from what I can tell most people deserve iOS. A simple OS. I does have very powerful apps but the OS itself is simple. Beyond app launching the OS is no more intuitive then any other and I would suggest it is the least intuitive. A phone without a file manager is to ME not a useful device. For the most part the vast majority of smartphone users use a very small portion of the capabilities of their devices. I have used all 4 major phone OSes and I choose BB10 as my personal device. After 5 minutes of use how is ANY phone UI complicated?
    bungaboy and gfondeur like this.
    05-17-15 11:21 AM
    If you're used to having a home button then I can see why a gesture driven OS would take a couple of days to get used to. With that said, I would not call BB10 complicated. Different, yes. Complicated, not at all.
    05-17-15 11:34 AM
    Despite actual hands on time with a Classic (and a screen cam of me on my Z30), my brother wants to go iPhone, stating many reasons, one of which is that the BB10 UI is too confusing. I'm baffled by this. A red herring? Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    If you search on YouTube there is a brilliant short video (the link was posted on CrackBerry when the video came out) of how to use the BB10 UI - eg everything is controlled by three swipes (up, left, right) - with a fourth swipe for the quick settings menu.

I can't find the original video, but here are two that are similar-ish :
    (less than 2 minutes - this one is well worth watching for an intro to BB10)
    (this is a longer one from N4BB- c.7 minutes)

I have a lawyer colleague who is ferociously intelligent but also very technophobic and he has now had his Classic for over 3 months - watching the YouTube videos on how simple swiping is on BB10, really helped to assuage his concerns on going to BB10 from BBOS.

Good luck!
    Bob Schnatterly likes this.
    05-17-15 11:50 AM
    If you search on YouTube there is a brilliant short video (the link was posted on CrackBerry when the video came out) of how to use the BB10 UI - eg everything is controlled by three swipes (up, left, right) - with a fourth swipe for the quick settings menu.

I can't find the original video, but here are two that are similar-ish :
    (less than 2 minutes - this one is well worth watching for an intro to BB10)
    (this is a longer one from N4BB- c.7 minutes)

I have a lawyer colleague who is ferociously intelligent but also very technophobic and he has now had his Classic for over 3 months - watching the YouTube videos on how simple swiping is on BB10, really helped to assuage his concerns on going to BB10 from BBOS.

Good luck!
    Thanks. I'll pass that on...

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 12:00 PM
    When i got my Z10 i hated it for about 30 minutes. I didn't get it, then i did, and i never looked back. Love not needing a button.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 12:04 PM
    BBOS is far more complex. Probably more rewarding too as there were all these alternate ways of getting from A to B. I think that the Trackpad makes BlackBerry 10 more complex but on the other hand the Classic has a home button of sorts.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 12:12 PM
    Doesn't surprise me because bb 10 is complicated. I still don't understand how a company which brought us such a great os like 6 or even 7 could get it sooo wrong and limit the os too (no macros, skins, programmable LED or even basic font changing).

I'm happy for those that love it but to me it's just but on pair with bbos and of course not with a rooted Android phone.
    05-17-15 12:13 PM
    As I already said many times.
    Said....where? Certainly not in this thread.

A very good example for a really bad GUI design is the settings screen for the Notifications. It took me really a while (and several posts here) until I understood this screen with the list of profiles, and I'm not unexperienced, I'm a developer myself. This is for sure a violation of I don't know how many good old GUI development rules..
    They changed the entire layout from 10.2 to 10.3 in the notifications screen....not just the color. So any confusion you had wasn't from color, at least not entirely. The profile changer drop down is a slightly different color, but also has an arrow to indicate that it's a drop down. It highlights blue if you use the Classic trackpad to move around the GUI.

Furthermore it's very hard to see on bad light conditions, perhaps under direct sunlight.
    I agree that if you didn't have any idea how it worked and were in bright sunlight it could be odd. But in normal light...I'm not sure what the problem is.

. Under 10.2 the GUI was sophisticated, handy and consequent, under 10.3 the user has in many situation to guess what happens, he must learn how to use it, and that's never good, that's crap.
    Which may be true, but has nothing to do with color but with an actual change of how it works.
    05-17-15 02:41 PM
    I don't find it confusing at all, but to your brother's preferences, anyone can easily pick up and iPhone and operate it. That's probably why most people who prefer using iphones find any other UI tough to get around at times.
    05-17-15 02:56 PM
    Explain that the hub is always 'underneath' the rest of the OS, accessed with the swipe up and right. On BB10 you have to go 'through' the multitasking screen to get to the app launch icons, where other OSES provide two distinct interactions from every screen: one to go to apps, another to go to multitasking.

The OS is otherwise very much like the Android apps and iOS apps screen.

On Bb10, swipe up to get to the "widgets" and to get to the apps, swipe left. The Hub is unique and so it requires a unique access method: swipe up and to the right. Maybe just don't mention "peeking" to see what are "notifications" on other OSes unless he asks: going directly to the hub and using "pinch to show unread" is better than notifications anyway.

In Android a tap on the home button goes to widgets and then you tap a button to get to apps, or tap on the multitasking button to see running apps

In iOS, no widgits: tap home button to go to apps, double tap to go to multitasking UI.

On WP press windows button to go to live tiles (somewhat analogous to android widgets or BB10 active frames, but only somewhat), swipe r-t-l to see all apps, or long press on back button I think, to go to multitasking UX.

The Hub sets BB10 apart from the others, but the rest of the OS is analogous to others.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 05-17-15 at 07:52 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-17-15 03:01 PM
    I hate itoy's childish/childlike fisher price, homebutton equipped user interface. I'm neither eight nor eighty.
    Bob Schnatterly likes this.
    05-17-15 03:03 PM
    If you just picked up a BB10 device and no one showed you how to use it and you never watched a video or anything, it would be confusing, especially if you were coming from an iPhone or android. Gesture based os's are not intuitive if you don't know what gestures to use.
    05-17-15 03:17 PM
138 1234 ...