Well it's been little over a year since I first bought my Z10... and I'm proud I made that decision! Before I go into what this thread is really about, I'd like to talk about how I got down to owning my first BlackBerry device in 2010. I'm 21 years old and I'm from India.
    The BlackBerry boom started here in 2007 or so. BBM was the in thing among teenagers at that time which prompted me to take the plunge (from a nokia device) to a brand new 8520 that had just launched in the market. To tell you the truth, it was pretty zippy to begin with however, after a month or two, the phone started hanging (the dreaded timer icon) and the build quality wasn't what I'd expected! (Especially after the bold series.) Nonetheless, I continued to use the same for 2 years or so (the keyboard was just too good for me to switch!) before I decided to jump ship and head on towards an android device or an iPhone. BlackBerry at that time was waging a battle that they'd already lost due to the sudden surge of smartphone devices that had been launched at very competitive prices.
    BlackBerry always had a problem with their pricing (well, they're sorting that out now...with the Z3).
    The hunt for my next smartphone wasn't easy at all! I wanted to experience the world full of 'apps' that were non existent on my BlackBerry device. But then they announced the BB10 device line!
    The new os looked fresh and unlike any other that I'd seen or used before! (I'd already tested out WP, android and ios). I decided to wait and see if BlackBerry could deliver a stunning new os that could compete with its rivals'.
    This time around, I wanted a larger screen and was willing to give the on screen keyboard a chance (they engineered the physical keyboard to perform brilliantly! Why couldn't they do the same with the on screen one?)
    I finally bought the Z10 in February 2013 (even though the phone was pretty expensive...around 700$ or so...which roughly translates to 42000 Indian Rupees!)
    Right out of the box I felt that BlackBerry had nailed it! The OS was incredibly fast and the device (even with a couple of glitches) never failed to perform! The keyboard was out of this world and the hub was ingenuity at its best! (I won't go into the pros and cons of all the features as they've been dealt with in numerous other threads and posts.)
    With each os update, the phone kept getting faster and faster! The battery improved tenfold and new multi tasking features really enhanced the 'BlackBerry Experience' so to speak!
    However, the BB10 wave never really gathered much traction (the phones were expensive and mass marketing of the 'new and improved' BlackBerry fell on deaf ears). The os received favourable reviews but major apps were still missing. As a result, only hardcore BlackBerry users went out and bought the new devices. While others merely scoffed at the idea of owning a phone made by a company that was struggling to stay relevant and compete with the likes of Apple and Google.
    Over the past one year or so, the image of the company has slowly but surely changed! From almost being sold, to becoming a company that has gone back to its roots and has cut costs at an astonishing rate. I can confidently say that BlackBerry can survive and is here to stay!
    I'm currently on 10.2.1 and can't wait for 10.3 to drop (I wouldn't mind a leak or two ) and I'm pretty sure that my next device will be a Blackberry as well! After using the Z10 I never felt the need for a bunch of apps to add to my smartphone . I guess it's just a Blackberry thing, where productivity is at the core of the design and the user experience.
    I've been following loads of websites and portals over the past year or so (Crackberry has been brilliant!) and there has been a shift in the perception of BlackBerry as a brand. With several top tech reviewers and analysts touting the return of the company that revolutionised email; BlackBerry is redefining it's image and devices to help us ' Keep Moving'.

Is this the BlackBerry turnaround?!-keep-moving-projects-blackberry-10.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 06:49 AM
    Thank you for your very honest opinion and information. I find it fascinating to see the BB turnaround from your perspective. It is neat to hear what it is like in other countries.
    andy957 likes this.
    05-04-14 09:00 AM
    This is a great read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 09:05 AM
    Well it's been little over a year since I first bought my Z10... and I'm proud I made that decision! Before I go into what this thread is really about, I'd like to talk about how I got down to owning my first BlackBerry device in 2010. I'm 21 years old and I'm from India.
    The BlackBerry boom started here in 2007 or so. BBM was the in thing among teenagers at that time which prompted me to take the plunge (from a nokia device) to a brand new 8520 that had just launched in the market. To tell you the truth, it was pretty zippy to begin with however, after a month or two, the phone started hanging (the dreaded timer icon) and the build quality wasn't what I'd expected! (Especially after the bold series.) Nonetheless, I continued to use the same for 2 years or so (the keyboard was just too good for me to switch!) before I decided to jump ship and head on towards an android device or an iPhone. BlackBerry at that time was waging a battle that they'd already lost due to the sudden surge of smartphone devices that had been launched at very competitive prices.
    BlackBerry always had a problem with their pricing (well, they're sorting that out now...with the Z3).
    The hunt for my next smartphone wasn't easy at all! I wanted to experience the world full of 'apps' that were non existent on my BlackBerry device. But then they announced the BB10 device line!
    The new os looked fresh and unlike any other that I'd seen or used before! (I'd already tested out WP, android and ios). I decided to wait and see if BlackBerry could deliver a stunning new os that could compete with its rivals'.
    This time around, I wanted a larger screen and was willing to give the on screen keyboard a chance (they engineered the physical keyboard to perform brilliantly! Why couldn't they do the same with the on screen one?)
    I finally bought the Z10 in February 2013 (even though the phone was pretty expensive...around 700$ or so...which roughly translates to 42000 Indian Rupees!)
    Right out of the box I felt that BlackBerry had nailed it! The OS was incredibly fast and the device (even with a couple of glitches) never failed to perform! The keyboard was out of this world and the hub was ingenuity at its best! (I won't go into the pros and cons of all the features as they've been dealt with in numerous other threads and posts.)
    With each os update, the phone kept getting faster and faster! The battery improved tenfold and new multi tasking features really enhanced the 'BlackBerry Experience' so to speak!
    However, the BB10 wave never really gathered much traction (the phones were expensive and mass marketing of the 'new and improved' BlackBerry fell on deaf ears). The os received favourable reviews but major apps were still missing. As a result, only hardcore BlackBerry users went out and bought the new devices. While others merely scoffed at the idea of owning a phone made by a company that was struggling to stay relevant and compete with the likes of Apple and Google.
    Over the past one year or so, the image of the company has slowly but surely changed! From almost being sold, to becoming a company that has gone back to its roots and has cut costs at an astonishing rate. I can confidently say that BlackBerry can survive and is here to stay!
    I'm currently on 10.2.1 and can't wait for 10.3 to drop (I wouldn't mind a leak or two ) and I'm pretty sure that my next device will be a Blackberry as well! After using the Z10 I never felt the need for a bunch of apps to add to my smartphone . I guess it's just a Blackberry thing, where productivity is at the core of the design and the user experience.
    I've been following loads of websites and portals over the past year or so (Crackberry has been brilliant!) and there has been a shift in the perception of BlackBerry as a brand. With several top tech reviewers and analysts touting the return of the company that revolutionised email; BlackBerry is redefining it's image and devices to help us ' Keep Moving'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keep-Moving-Projects-BlackBerry-10.jpg 
Views:	1652 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	267676

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your comments! Hello from Canada!

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    05-04-14 09:26 AM
    I've just been to India in February. I was amazed about how many BlackBerry I saw there and that they were on display in several stores - not only BB10 but also legacy devices. In the technology consulting and BPO industry, a lot of people are using BlackBerry. It was curves especially that I saw all the time.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 09:52 AM
    I was at a Kentucky Derby party yesterday and many people were impressed with my Z30. One of my neighbors who has used an IPhone for the past two or three years and before that had BlackBerry legacy phones just switched to a BlackBerry Q10 three weeks ago.

His reaction after 3 weeks? "I love it, the iPhone is a piece of junk, I love having the keyboard and battery life "

He went on to say BlackBerry just needs more people to try them and he is thinking of mandating the 200 employees in Canada at his company (more in the USA but he runs the Canadian operation) use BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 specifically because of battery life! He says on his business (financial sector) you cannot afford to be out for a client dinner and have your phone not work and this is what he found was happening to himself. Now he says no one else's phone will work but his does!

He basically went on to say he did not realize how much he missed his keyboard until he used it again. I also bet knowing him he does not have a single Android stores app on his phone and likely misses The Chive....I will let him know how to get these Apps to round out the experience.

Posted via CB10
    Reed Richards and stlabrat like this.
    05-04-14 10:02 AM
    I was at a Kentucky Derby party yesterday and many people were impressed with my Z30. One of my neighbors who has used an IPhone for the past two or three years and before that had BlackBerry legacy phones just switched to a BlackBerry Q10 three weeks ago.

He went on to say BlackBerry just needs more people to try them and he is thinking of mandating the 200 employees in Canada at his company (more in the USA but he runs the Canadian operation) use BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 specifically because of battery life! He says on his business (financial sector) you cannot afford to be out for a client dinner and have your phone not work and this is what he found was happening to himself. Now he says no one else's phone will work but his does!
    Posted via CB10
    For a moment I thought you were talking with Kevin O'Leary.
    05-04-14 10:07 AM
    I think slowly but surely BlackBerry wheel is rolling in the right direction and the results will surely show up. I feel the haters now getting shaky and are becoming more and more prominent by ridiculing any positive news for the sake of it.
    Go BlackBerry Go...keep moving and waiting for the awesome devices anticipated at the end of the year. )

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 10:45 AM
    Realistically it always takes time for a new platform and its devices to take off. Especially one like BB10 that came very late to the marketplace dominated by ios and Android.

Like others have said, I'm hopefull for a BlackBerry turnaround, but my opinion is that we are not going to see really tangible results until at least Q3.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    05-04-14 10:52 AM
    I've just been to India in February. I was amazed about how many BlackBerry I saw there and that they were on display in several stores - not only BB10 but also legacy devices. In the technology consulting and BPO industry, a lot of people are using BlackBerry. It was curves especially that I saw all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Where in India? Because I'm from new Delhi (the capital of the country) and I have yet to see people still using legacy devices. I have seen people using bb10 devices though and the current price revision has boosted bb10 sales (they sold out the z10 twice in a month!). The thing with the Indian market is that we don't have carrier contracts and hence have to buy the phone unlocked. Unless a phone company launches a product in a competitive price range, the device will not sell. However, phones that have that extra 'Wow' factor going for them, like the Galaxy series and the iPhone, sell no matter what the price is! So you see, in a country like India it's all about pricing and brand perception.
    If BlackBerry can improve their marketing and show the people what the new devices can do, they'll be able to get more people on board who won't hesitate to pick up the latest product no matter what the price. I think the Z3 could play a vital role in doing just that! John Chen needs to build consumer confidence by showing what the new Blackberry is all about! And IMHO, he's paving the way for a Blackberry that stands a chance!

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    05-04-14 10:54 AM
    Well blackberry is still relevant in India for sure. And I can say this because when the price for Z10 was slashed to 18K, people went crazy, the stock was sold out everywhere. And the fresh stock was sold out within days as well. Just hope that now blackberry get their pricing right so that they don't have to discount a phone to 60%. Because if they do that with every phone, it will really backfire.
    05-04-14 11:15 AM
    Where in India? Because I'm from new Delhi (the capital of the country) and I have yet to see people still using legacy devices. I have seen people using bb10 devices though and the current price revision has boosted bb10 sales (they sold out the z10 twice in a month!). The thing with the Indian market is that we don't have carrier contracts and hence have to buy the phone unlocked. Unless a phone company launches a product in a competitive price range, the device will not sell. However, phones that have that extra 'Wow' factor going for them, like the Galaxy series and the iPhone, sell no matter what the price is! So you see, in a country like India it's all about pricing and brand perception.
    If BlackBerry can improve their marketing and show the people what the new devices can do, they'll be able to get more people on board who won't hesitate to pick up the latest product no matter what the price. I think the Z3 could play a vital role in doing just that! John Chen needs to build consumer confidence by showing what the new Blackberry is all about! And IMHO, he's paving the way for a Blackberry that stands a chance!

Posted via CB10
    I've been to Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and Delhi. I've mostly seen the devices in the corporate environment where they were probably company issued and those were all legacy devices. I even met people using two BlackBerry devices, an additional one for personal use. That was mostly in Mumbai and Bangalore. I can't say much to Delhi - you definitely know better how the situation is there - but at least I saw some BB10 phones at the stores.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 11:20 AM
    In INDIA BlackBerry is seen a lot, even in showbiz, super star Amitabh Bachchan uses a Q10, Ranbhir Kapoor of course is the Brand ambassador uses Q10. And many still use the lagecy device, Kareena kapoor, Karan Johar, super star Salman Khan and the list goes on. And yet we don't find any good advertising from BlackBerry, I personally use BlackBerry Z30 and all my friends who see my device are impressed with its new OS, only good advertising campaign can surely get BlackBerry on track again. BlackBerry still has a chance.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 12:00 PM
    In INDIA BlackBerry is seen a lot, even in showbiz, super star Amitabh Bachchan uses a Q10, Ranbhir Kapoor of course is the Brand ambassador uses Q10. And many still use the lagecy device, Kareena kapoor, Karan Johar, super star Salman Khan and the list goes on. And yet we don't find any good advertising from BlackBerry, I personally use BlackBerry Z30 and all my friends who see my device are impressed with its new OS, only good advertising campaign can surely get BlackBerry on track again. BlackBerry still has a chance.

Posted via CB10
    Yes maximum of bollywood uses a blackberry. But that's not sufficient. Ranbir kapoor is the brand ambassador but he has been advertising lenovo phones as well. Wonder how blackberry is allowing it.
    andy957 likes this.
    05-04-14 03:21 PM

His reaction after 3 weeks? "I love it, the iPhone is a piece of junk, I love having the keyboard and battery life "

He basically went on to say he did not realize how much he missed his keyboard until he used it again. I also bet knowing him he does not have a single Android stores app on his phone and likely misses The Chive....I will let him know how to get these Apps to round out the experience.

Posted via CB10
    Great that the Kentucky Derby crowd is exposed to the Z30 !!

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    05-06-14 03:38 PM