Hi all, I've done a good bit of research but I still can't decide. There are two things I primarily want to do... I drive a lot for work so I want GPS navigation. Also while I'm driving when I get a call for someone that wants to book an appointment I want to be able to record the call so that I can put the details into my calendar when I've stopped.

The Treo I would have to buy a GPS receiver but I'm positive that it works for recording calls.

The Blackberry has built in GPS but I can't find anywhere that it can record calls.

Also, do Blackberry cell plans cost more? Can I just get a data plan or do I need an additional plan for email?

thank ya'll for the help, I appreciate it,
    Trevor
    03-06-08 07:22 PM
    I have had a Treo 750v for quite some time. I asked the same question as you last week. In the end, I threw away my Treo in favor of the BB.

I don't know about recording calls. Maybe someone else can advise you.

My point of view is, Treo (for me) was very unstable, frequent soft resets per day. Yes, WM6 has a lot of applications out there, and BB is still quite limited. But for business users like you, I guess you will appreciate BB's stability and reliability.

About plans, it's best to use BIS. You can have a generic data plan, but that would mean that you lose half functionality of your BB (No push email, no BB browser, no BB messenger.... )
    03-06-08 07:51 PM
    I pay 20 a month for a data plan through t mobile and its unlimited i love my blackberry way better that the treo i used to have
    03-06-08 08:18 PM
    BIS Plan? What's that mean? Oh, if it makes any difference I'm on Sprint. So if I don't have push email is it possible to get normal email? I wouldn't need anything fancy... any possible messenger?
    03-06-08 08:19 PM
    Former Treo 650 owner here. What I miss:
    - Grouping of text messages by recipient.
    - No MS Office document editing capability. That's supposed to change with OS 4.5 and Documents To Go. I found eOffice too clunky with no good support, during the trial period, anyway.

What (among other things, keeping it short )
    - Unlimited date plan is cheaper (for AT&T BIS, anyway).
    - Call clarity is MUCH better.
    - eMail support is light years better than Palm, especially being able to view attachments.
    - Internet access (assuming, again, an unlimited data plan) is faster, less prone to interrupts (using Opera Mini) than Palm.
    - I REALLY like being able to do most menu-driven tasks using one hand, not worrying about a stylus.

There's more, but some of your decision inputs should be carrier-driven too. My 2 cents!

Mike
    -
    03-06-08 08:25 PM
    BIS Plan? What's that mean? Oh, if it makes any difference I'm on Sprint. So if I don't have push email is it possible to get normal email? I wouldn't need anything fancy... any possible messenger?
    Simply put, BIS = personal email/internet. BES = corporate. There's more, but that's probably good enough for now.
    03-06-08 08:27 PM
    Gotta go with the Berry.
    03-06-08 08:41 PM
    When I switched from Treo to BB, my wirelss bill went down $25.
    03-06-08 08:45 PM
    I got rid of my Treo 700w for a BB, I've no regrets whatsoever. No more multiple resets daily, with my BB "it just works" An alternative to recording your conversation could be "email" or take note on the BB during your conversation.
    If you are gonna get a Treo, make sure to purchase two. They make very good Bookends. He He Heh!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-08 08:49 PM
    One of my Tech guys has a Treo, he hangs it off his waist, it is huge!! He is skinny and it makes him look like he is going to fall over!!
    03-06-08 08:57 PM
    i have a curve and everyone at my work has a treo 680. let me tell you that the treo is a horrible phone. totally un-user friendly, heavy, bulky. just a crappy phone in general.

i would go with a blackberry
    03-07-08 12:03 PM
    I recently moved to a BB 8830 after years of using Treos (and other Palm devices before that, going back to the original Palm Pilot). My last Treo was a 700p (Palm OS). I made the change because my company made a corporate decision to adopt BB as the corporate standard (with my input and support).

There are clear differences between these devices. Each has advantages. Overall, I'm happy with the move, but for me it's not all as black and white as some portray.

Treo:

1. Palm OS is very clean and easy to use. Many (most) actions require only a single step.
    2. There is lots of very polished third party software for the Palm OS (and some not so polished).
    3. Personally, I find it easier to type on the Treo keyboard. YMMV
    4. I like (and miss) the touchscreen.
    5. Treos have a narrower (but thicker) form factor.
    6. Treos require lots of tweaking (the Palm OS has aged, but can be patched with third party software like Butler).
    7. Great e-mail sychronization using Chatter e-mail, but nothing great for calendar, contacts, etc. (I hate Versamail.)
    8. The Treos have great threaded text messaging.
    9. I found it easier to use the Treo one handed.
    10. I found the presentation of data on-screen is more polished (nicer looking) on the Treo.
    11. Treos have horrible bluetooth implementation. Buggy, weak signal, non-compliant.
    12. We experienced lots of hardware failures.
    13. Our IT department spent lots more time supporting Treos than BBs.

BB 8830:

1. BBs are much more stable.
    2. BBs enjoy faster, much easier synchronization of e-mail, contacts, calendar, etc. This couldn't be better.
    3. BBs require less tweaking on a regular basis.
    4. BBs are lighter and thinner (but wider).
    5. BBs have much better battery life.
    6. I'm liking themes.
    7. BBs have much better bluetooth (easier to set up, stronger signal, more compliant).
    8. My company has found the BB hardware to be much more durable and easier to support.
    9. I'm not crazy about calendar or e-mail display (although BBSmart helps alot). I miss integrated HTML support.
    10. I miss HTML support in the BB browser. I need to try Opera mini.
    11. To me, the user interface on the BB just isn't as polished. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming software upgrade.

After two weeks, I'm getting past the learning curve and more accustomed to the BB. Again, overall, I'm happy with the move.

Kelly
    Last edited by kjflint; 03-07-08 at 02:06 PM.
    03-07-08 02:04 PM
    It's my understanding that voice recording is going to be included in the 4.5 Os upgrade but until that finally does come out, you can always use this as an alternative, VR+: Record, Playback and E-Mail Voice Memo : BlackBerry Curve : Handango.

Cheaper than buying a GPS and the Curve has an awesome GPS built in.
    03-07-08 02:22 PM
    I switched over from the Treo 650 to the 8830WE. I was already familiar with the BB as my last company phone was a 8730. I have basically two gripes about the 8830WE:

The biggest issue I have - which seems to be a 8830 issue only - is the low ring volume. I missed 3 just calls today! I've tried all sorts of fixes I've read here including manipulating the mp3 files on my computer and pushing them back to my BB - but still have a hard time hearing the ring. It mostly happen in the car or when I am a few feet from the phone. It is on my desk or in my pocket (not int he car) I usually can hear it.

The second problem I have are the tiny keys for dialing.

Other than that I like the UI and the emailing functions are superior to my old Treo.
    03-07-08 02:26 PM
    I recently moved to a BB 8830 after years of using Treos (and other Palm devices before that, going back to the original Palm Pilot). My last Treo was a 700p (Palm OS). I made the change because my company made a corporate decision to adopt BB as the corporate standard (with my input and support).

There are clear differences between these devices. Each has advantages. Overall, I'm happy with the move, but for me it's not all as black and white as some portray.

Treo:

1. Palm OS is very clean and easy to use. Many (most) actions require only a single step.
    2. There is lots of very polished third party software for the Palm OS (and some not so polished).
    3. Personally, I find it easier to type on the Treo keyboard. YMMV
    4. I like (and miss) the touchscreen.
    5. Treos have a narrower (but thicker) form factor.
    6. Treos require lots of tweaking (the Palm OS has aged, but can be patched with third party software like Butler).
    7. Great e-mail sychronization using Chatter e-mail, but nothing great for calendar, contacts, etc. (I hate Versamail.)
    8. The Treos have great threaded text messaging.
    9. I found it easier to use the Treo one handed.
    10. I found the presentation of data on-screen is more polished (nicer looking) on the Treo.
    11. Treos have horrible bluetooth implementation. Buggy, weak signal, non-compliant.
    12. We experienced lots of hardware failures.
    13. Our IT department spent lots more time supporting Treos than BBs.

BB 8830:

1. BBs are much more stable.
    2. BBs enjoy faster, much easier synchronization of e-mail, contacts, calendar, etc. This couldn't be better.
    3. BBs require less tweaking on a regular basis.
    4. BBs are lighter and thinner (but wider).
    5. BBs have much better battery life.
    6. I'm liking themes.
    7. BBs have much better bluetooth (easier to set up, stronger signal, more compliant).
    8. My company has found the BB hardware to be much more durable and easier to support.
    9. I'm not crazy about calendar or e-mail display (although BBSmart helps alot). I miss integrated HTML support.
    10. I miss HTML support in the BB browser. I need to try Opera mini.
    11. To me, the user interface on the BB just isn't as polished. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming software upgrade.

After two weeks, I'm getting past the learning curve and more accustomed to the BB. Again, overall, I'm happy with the move.

Kelly
    Kelly,
    As one with both TREO and moving to a BB, this is the best comparison! I can not find anything to add! Thanks!
    Marc
    03-07-08 03:21 PM
    blackberry hands down
    03-07-08 03:24 PM
    i had a centro i had lost of reset issues with no 3rd party apps on it go with the bb
    03-07-08 03:31 PM
    I went from a Treo to an 8830 back in December. Yes, there was some time when it was frustrating because I didn't know what to do with my BB, but this site helped immensely and now I don't know how I ever lived without my crackberry!! There is no comparison to the Treo! I am SO productive now and love love love it!
    03-11-08 11:23 AM

- Unlimited date plan is cheaper (for AT&T BIS, anyway).
    -

Actually at&t has changed that, the unlimited BIS data plan, and unlimited PDA data plans are both $30
    03-11-08 11:27 AM
    Actually at&t has changed that, the unlimited BIS data plan, and unlimited PDA data plans are both $30
    Of course! Now that I no longer need the PDA plan
    03-11-08 11:35 AM
    Try asking this on a Treo forum and see the response you get lol.

03-11-08 12:11 PM
    Coming from a treo, bb hands down. The things I thought I would miss on the treo, haven't been missed at all. Docs2Go, wireless sync of contacts and calendar, etc. And the stability is great.

I tried to do something on my wife's treo the other day and I was losr hunting for the trackball and kept turning the dern thing off by hitting the end key.

03-11-08 12:40 PM
    I've moved from a Treo 650 and I'm finding the BB better overall. I liked the calendar views with the treo and especially liked the multiple calendars I could have using Key Suite from Chapura, but outside some of the 3rd party apps, I don't miss the treo.

The SIM card is easier to deal with on the Treo 650 and the sd card is much easier to get at, but the weight and bulk of the treo is a real deal breaker for me. I can keep the BB in my shirt pocket with no problems. I'd never consider anything but a belt clip for the treo.
    03-11-08 03:32 PM
    Hey all, new poster here and new BB owner.

Let's see I have used Palms and Treos for awhile. My first Treo was a 600 and last year I bought a Treo 755p in May. My job recently made me get a BB so now I am using a 8703e.

I never had the problems that many of you have posted with stability or resets of my Treo. My biggest gripe with the Treo is mainly with Palm. They just recently came out with support for 32 bit Vista sync but they have 0 support and do not plan on supporting other editions of Windows such as the 64 bit platform. I should have done my research before I bought my 755p because I had to install the sync software on a sandbox trash pc running 32 bit XP because on my main pc with my outlook and other software I'm running 64 bit XP. It's been a whole year and they have still not written the correct drivers to sync my Treo to the 64 bit xp or 64 bit Vista if you are running that.

To me that is a major strike against Palm and worthy of a lawsuit IMO.

What I miss about the Treo & Palm is the huge amounts of software available. The BB seems to be lacking in that department from what I have noticed. Also there are so many versions of BB some software works on my model while others don't.

I do like how my BB is integrated with my job as far email and so forth, even if I step away from my desk I always know whats going on. On the flipside I don't like the fact that everything I do can be monitored or logged via the BES but I guess that comes with the territory of having a company asset.

So far the BB Bluetooth is far superior to the Treo 755. My treo was so bad I stopped using Bluetooth and just used the wired ear piece and I bought one of the top end BT devices, good thing it works with my BB :-)

I miss the multimedia capabilities of the Treo such as a camera, but hey it is for business so I guess I don't need a camera per say however would be nice to have.

Overall I'm sad to leave my Treo behind but I am starting to like the BB.
    03-14-08 12:07 AM
    i had a treo 755 i like the bb better
    03-14-08 02:02 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD