Hi Every one

A friend of mine has had some rather disturbing emails sent to her boyfriend with pictures that were stolen from her computer.

Her boyfriend says he has traced the emails and they were sent from a black berry and told us the phone number "linked" to the black berry

The person who's number this is has been confronted and swears blind it was not her she has been set up.

I am really not sure who to believe and am concerned for my friend

Now Days of Our Lives type saga aside. If someone sent an email from their bb and it was traced what would come up? An IP a phone number. He also claims that he has a location as well as the phone number.

Keeping in mind I am a little bit "special needs" when it comes to technology can anyone explain what would come up if an email sent from a BB was traced.

Thanks
    05-03-11 10:41 AM
    When an email is sent from a BlackBerry the following information is imbedded in the message:

Return-path: <SRS0=zlZ2wM=XD=shaw.ca=[email protected]>
    Received: from pd2mr1so-ssvc.prod.shaw.ca ([unknown] [10.0.141.110])
    I have bolded the important information, the source of the message.

This information contains nothing about the senders IP Address or Phone Number.

phone number "linked" to the black berry
    It is not hard to spot the BlackBerry connection, but there is nothing in the header to assist tracing it back to a specific device or phone number.

I can't comment on how the content became available, but that story is nonsense.
    05-03-11 11:04 AM
    If the email came from a standard email provider, like yahoo, gmail, or msn, I'd pull the emails up on a computer and track the email header. It will provide the date and time the email hit a server and will identify the ip address and of origin of the email. The email client used to send to send the email eill dictate the method used to pull the header and locate the originating ip address.
    05-03-11 11:11 AM
    Unfortunately I don't have the emails. They were sent from a gmail address.

The boyfriend has the emails and seems in no particular hurry to do anything about it.

Thanks Reed McLay so from what you have said it is safe to say I have caught my friends boyfriend in a lie?
    05-03-11 11:31 AM
    Unfortunately I don't have the emails. They were sent from a gmail address.

The boyfriend has the emails and seems in no particular hurry to do anything about it.

Thanks Reed McLay so from what you have said it is safe to say I have caught my friends boyfriend in a lie?
    Yes.

It would take a Law Enforsement agency and a Canadian court order to compel Research in Motion to release that information. There is no PIN to Phone Number lookup.
    CuriousChaz likes this.
    05-03-11 06:02 PM
    I wonder if someone who works at a carrier could have taken a peek at it? Not sure if it could be accessed that way ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD