So as a teenager, all of my friends have iPhones or androids. However BB10 has me excited. My phone contract with my iPhone 4S ends in May, in time for my birthday. My needs aren't that deep, a phone for texting, LOTS of web surfing, and a lot of music listening. My three biggest concerns are this:

1. Since BlackBerry is so BBM integrated, and none of my friends have BBM, I think having a BlackBerry would maybe be pointless.
    2. Blackberry's are for business people, and as a student, I really don't need a business phone.
    3. Since my past two phones have been Apple, all of my music and apps are in the Apple exosystem. So losing all my music is a major reason to not switch to a BB.

So, is a BB for me?
    11-17-12 05:06 PM
    All your friends have iphones because they are trendy. Bring your shiny new BB10 to school and I guarantee you will turn heads. It just takes one and you will very easily be the new trend setter at your school. It will differentiate you in a sea of iphones.....LOL
    bb624 likes this.
    11-17-12 05:18 PM
    That's up to you. If you're fine with your iPhone, go with it. If you want a change, go for a BlackBerry. Maybe your friends will change too. If not - WhatsApp is also available for BlackBerry.

BlackBerrys aren't only business phones. They are at first devices to communicate.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    11-17-12 05:22 PM
    No because if your friends don't have BlackBerry why would you do something independent of them. BB10 is going to be more user friendly than current OS7 so it would appeal more to users who need apps to do everything like on apple. You should give 10 a look before standing in line to give your money to apple.
    11-17-12 05:23 PM
    As a fellow teen and BB user, I'd have to say stick with the iPhone. (Wow, I just died a little inside.) Let me answer your points in order.

1) I agree. Every five seconds an app asks me to integrate with BBM. I have two BBM contacts. And one is my mother... so BBM is pointless for me.
    2) I think this is irrelevant. I never felt out of place using my phone because BlackBerry is a "buisness oriented" phone. There's still just as much customization available to you as anything. (Maybe even more than an iPhone.)
    3) I never had an iPhone so I never had apps and things in their ecosystem. If you have a lot of money in it, its definitely a reason to stay with Apple.

I picked my Bold 9900 for two major reasons. First is the keyboard: its absolutely perfect and I don't like touch-screen keyboards. (This probably wont be a problem for you.) Second is the fact that iPhones are everywhere. I want to be different among my friends. I want people to know that I didn't just pick whatever phone Mr. Blueshirt at the tech store pushed on me.

Despite my reasons, I think you should stick to the iPhone because I think you'd miss a lot of the social apps that unfortunately aren't available for BB (Instagram, Skype, video chat apps...) For the record though, I absolutely adore my 9900. Its perfect for my uses.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
    11-17-12 05:34 PM
    So as a teenager, all of my friends have iPhones or androids. However BB10 has me excited. My phone contract with my iPhone 4S ends in May, in time for my birthday. My needs aren't that deep, a phone for texting, LOTS of web surfing, and a lot of music listening. My three biggest concerns are this:

1. Since BlackBerry is so BBM integrated, and none of my friends have BBM, I think having a BlackBerry would maybe be pointless.
    2. Blackberry's are for business people, and as a student, I really don't need a business phone.
    3. Since my past two phones have been Apple, all of my music and apps are in the Apple exosystem. So losing all my music is a major reason to not switch to a BB.

So, is a BB for me?
    In the end the decision is yours however, there re many teens with BlackBerry devices and it is certainly not just for business users. You'll find many will agree with me.

Now let's go through your list.

1. While BBM is a huge thing, I communicate with friends and family on other platforms via Whatsapp.

2. It's not just for business people. Like mentioned already, it's first and foremost a communication tool. As a student there are plenty of uses for it.

3. There is a way to sync you iTunes music with your BlackBerry using the BlackBerry Desktop manager. So you won't miss out on your music collection.

I do recommend to check out the BlackBerry 10 when it's out. It is very different to current BlackBerry devices and since you're used to full touchscreen you'll be fine with an L-series model.

Ultimately, it's going to be your decision.
    11-17-12 05:47 PM
    Blackberry also has regular texting, there's no problem using the regular texting method.

My teenager uses a blackberry and loves it, you cant play call of duty on it but it has some decent games to pass time.

You can easily get your Itunes music ported over to the blackberry via desktop manager.

This is for the current BlackBerry's, In the end its up to you. BB10 will be out sometimes after Jan 30th which should offer much more, app wise. BB10 will be out by the time your contract expires, you have time to make a decision.
    11-17-12 06:17 PM

So, is a BB for me?
    As you said your friends use different platforms so using a BB shouldn't be an issue. You will still have many choices for communicating. There must be a reason why you feel excited about BB10. I'm guessing you see the potential it has. There will be many features your friends won't have. Wait until you show them what true multitasking is like. BBs are smartphones that can be used for business not just a business phone. I don't know about you losing your music but you will lose your apps. You will have to decide if they are still ones you need or use and how much it will cost you to have the ones you want on BB10. All in all just be yourself and get the phone that is right for you.
    11-17-12 06:20 PM

So, is a BB for me?
    1. BBM is just the BlackBerry-centric messaging application in a BlackBerry. It does a lot more than simple messaging though, but if you don't have BlackBerry toting friends, then chances are the only thing you'll use BBM for (like me) is to chat with other like-minded BlackBerry enthusiasts. However, there is more to BlackBerry than BBM. True, you won't be able to communicate with your iPhone and Android (or any other platform, for that matter) friends with BBM. You also won't be able to install Facetime or iMessage. But there are other cross-platform communication apps out there, that your Android using friends are probably already using.

2. BlackBerry is not just for business people. I've used BlackBerry since 2002 (I was starting university and wanted something more functional than a basic cellular phone), and I've used them ever since. I'm 37 now, I work as a research engineer. I don't wear a suit, except for job interviews. All of my BlackBerry have been my own purchases, although several of them have plugged into enterprise BES systems at various companies I worked for. I understand that the "BlackBerry is for suits, iPhone is for trendy teens" thing is well ingrained in North America, mostly I think because of how RIM has made the enterprise such a big part of their business. In other parts of the world, BlackBerry is the coolest phone for all the young people.

3. All your iOS app purchases will not be usable on a BlackBerry. However, all the music you purchased on iTunes are completely transferable to a BlackBerry. MP3 is an open standard, they play on any device.

I don't know if a BlackBerry is for you. If you absolutely must have all the latest apps, and that is a deal breaker for you, then perhaps a BlackBerry is not for you. But a smartphone is much more than Angry Birds or whatever the newest craze is. Spend an afternoon reading CrackBerry blog posts, look for the video demonstrations of BlackBerry 10. It's some pretty impressive stuff, if you ask me. I'll certainly be buying one when my contract expires and I'm due a hardware upgrade (I'll have to wait for February 2014). , I might even sell some camera equipment to raise money to buy a BB10 device in February 2013.
    11-20-12 10:37 PM
    For what it's worth, my 17 year old daughter was bent on getting an iPhone (she currently has a Bold 9750). About a month ago, when we started planning our X-mas shopping I casually asked her (more non rhetorically) again if this was still key for her to get, figuring she would say of course (wife and I were fine with getting her one .....all her friends were or have switched to iPhone). To my surprise and now I am glad I did ask, she said, she’s not sure anymore, she’s “holding off until next year”, and asked me if I had heard about the new BB10? She said the kids at her school have been talking a lot about it, and she had been checking out videos on the web and that she thought it looked cool. I nearly pooped!

Maybe it’s a good idea to wait a couple months and decide when you have all the choices in front of you?
    pkcable likes this.
    11-21-12 07:41 AM
    I'm going to tackle just one of your qualms, as the other two can generally be solved with an app (but so can much in life these days it seems ). Now I'm not going to beat you over the head Bold-ly, so to speak, but I want you to know that BlackBerry is not FOR business people. That's a mindless cliche that has been bestowed upon the brand. BB is, as stated before me, a communication tool. It remains true however that the business market, only currently mind you, remains RIM's largest account but that's not to say that great phones like the 9900/30 are FOR business people. If RIM created BlackBerry phones with ONLY the business clientele in mind, you would not find the games, however few there may be, in the App store. RIM is trying harder and harder to appeal to the younger market. This is evident with the PlayBook and its ability to play a host of Android apps and games.

As a student, I feel a BB phone is perfect for you. Anytime I see any of my friends on an iPhone or Android, I kind of assume they are playing a game Which, besides the productivity-based marketing the surrounds the Samsung Note devices, is the kind of aura that those two devices set up for themselves. If you whip out a BlackBerry, you will be taken seriously. And if you whip out a PlayBook and Bridge the two, you'll have the distinct honor of watching all of their jaws.drop.

This is simply my opinion, and sorry for the lengthy write up. Hope I helped!
    11-21-12 11:25 PM