I saw John Chen's recent comments about a new Tablet in the pipeline and I immediately thought of my Playbook and its slow, unfortunate crawl toward irrelevancy and the bottom of a closed desk draw. I thought about the 4 other tablets in my house already.

But then I thought about the surprising Passport and BlackBerry's willingness to think outside the box and to reexamine old assumptions anew and afresh. The tablet market seems to be at an odd point. Surface sales have been growing and good, whereas Ipad seems to have lost its steam.

FWIW, my sense is that no one has yet to really hit the tablet sweet spot, in terms of size, weight, form factor, and UI, etc. And I also see the utility of BlackBerry Blend and how it would be nice to see my Passport Blending with a nifty BB Tablet. In terms of competitors, its fair to credit Microsoft with its pending Windows 10 conflation of Phone, Tablet and Desktop of at least thinking more proactively about integration and synergy. But I wonder what Chen and BlackBerry have in mind? For the first time in a long time, I have a positive curiosity and interest, rather than a kind of anxious, desperate wish for some Hail Mary play. I think there might be a counter-intuitive opportunity for Blackberry.
    10-29-14 03:38 PM
    Yes this is written on thestar.com under business tech news...

http://www.thestar.com/business/tech...y_classic.html

Titled "Chen touts BlackBerry Classic" at the end, they mention a tablet is in the works!!

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    10-29-14 03:41 PM
    Where are these recent comments? Passport is my first Blackberry product. I remember trying the Playbook in store once, loving the physical feel but hating the software would be nice to see Blackberry get a tablet right. Maybe they can under Chen.

I've always been a Windows user, and had the original Surface, but for simple convenience I had to suck it up and buy an iPad Air 2. Would switch to BB Playbook if they got it right.

Also, a tablet might boost app development for BB World, which would be nice.
    10-29-14 03:42 PM
    Where are these recent comments? Passport is my first Blackberry product. I remember trying the Playbook in store once, loving the physical feel but hating the software would be nice to see Blackberry get a tablet right. Maybe they can under Chen.

I've always been a Windows user, and had the original Surface, but for simple convenience I had to suck it up and buy an iPad Air 2. Would switch to BB Playbook if they got it right.

Also, a tablet might boost app development for BB World, which would be nice.
    What do you think of the passport, since you're new..
    I would appreciate an opinion from a first timer (sorry if off topic)

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.821
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-29-14 03:52 PM
    I know NFBB has a video of Chen's comments at a recent conference in Hong Kong, wherein, at about the 1:27 mark, he very briefly, but intriguingly brings up the possibility of the re-entry into the Tablet market. He talks about the possibility of a tablet with a physical keyboard.

I have been, at times, critical of Chen, but he is winning me over with his plain-spoken competence and his almost humble manner. Very much a pragmatic man with an apparently realistic view of the world, the market, the competition, and where BlackBerry is and how it got there. But he also has nerve and a low-key confidence.
    10-29-14 03:54 PM
    What do you think of the passport, since you're new..
    I would appreciate an opinion from a first timer (sorry if off topic)

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.821
    I'm a big fan. The square screen is great, keyboard great too. I don't use the swipe suggestion feature at all. I just type. I used to use pkb Windows phone devices so it's nice to have a pkb again.

BB10 has surprised me too. All in all very good. Camera software needs work though.
    10-29-14 04:05 PM
    Passport, MS Surface Pro type BB10 tablet, Blend and a premium Docs to Go app for both could be a winner.
    10-29-14 04:09 PM
    Since I bought my Z30 I am using very very rarely my tablet. I really don't need it, I am doing everything with my phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    step07, twirlyboy and chrisk_5 like this.
    10-29-14 04:20 PM
    I hope Chen just don't just release a bigger device with BB10 on it. A tablet from BlackBerry is really going to need to stand out and have some great integration with BB10 phone. Take BlackBerry Bridge and it put it on steroids with the things that it can do with the tablet. Maybe a device design no other manufacturer has done. Make it unique and I'll be willing to forget the dreams that the PlayBook sold me lol

Posted via CB10
    cman5 likes this.
    10-29-14 04:31 PM
    Would you trust a new tablet? Look what happened with the Playbook, which I own one. No support, no upgrade, nothing promised was delivered. I love Blackberry, I do, but I don't know if I'd support a new tablet based on the Playbook history.
    10-29-14 04:49 PM
    I would like to see the Showcase option that the playbook has. Being able to watch a video and answer emails at the same time is desirable. Wish the passport had this option. I vote for a built in physical keyboard for a tablet

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 04:51 PM
    Can't wait to see what's on board! It's just a point of BlackBerry doing something different, more importantly something that looks different. That has been the key to BlackBerry success so far with the passport. Everyone's reaction to my passport..."is that the new Blackberry Passport?". There is no mistake when you see a passport it's a blackberry. Unlike the z10 and z30 that faded within the mounds of other devices.

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    10-29-14 04:57 PM
    Making a tablet will be a mistake.
    Market is saturated. The ~13" sized tablet is the last segment that is less crowded but there are rumours that apple is going to enter it soon.
    There is a very thin margin on hardware and BlackBerry has yet to make a good profit on the BlackBerry world.
    Blend is available across all platforms, making it harder to sell the "PlayBook experience".
    While I don't mind the smaller app catalogue for my mobile, I can't accept it for my tablet.

What I am more interested in is a notifications - watch (no "smartwatch" hype please). I would by a watch with the build quality of the Passport in a heart beat.
    10-29-14 05:00 PM
    Tablet with HW keyboard and not that poor detachable as others! It's main reason for me not to use tablets - I miss keyboard. It's only for consumption...

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    10-29-14 05:04 PM
    That has been the key to BlackBerry success so far with the passport.
    If you call a mere 200K units a success
    10-29-14 05:25 PM
    Tablet with HW keyboard and not that poor detachable as others! It's main reason for me not to use tablets - I miss keyboard. It's only for consumption...

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    There was talk of a phone with a 'flip out' type of keyboard recently... maybe a tablet like this would be good.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 05:32 PM
    Oh for sh!ts sake no...they are just finally rediscovering their identity and rebuilding solid ground around that identity...why in the hell would they even consider doing another tablet, the Playbook was a total pariah, it had no chance. Stop trying to please everyone, let the tablet-makers make the tablets, you just provide software for them!
    geo1nah2a and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    10-29-14 05:40 PM
    Would actually call the passport a success as Chen has said that is all he needed to sell to break even was 200,000.... anything after that is now profit..... Chen had been very clear... returning to profitability is the main goal in the next couple of quarters.... as he has set a target of 10 million devices to turn a profit.... As everything tends to be measured in terms of Apple and Sammy sales.. of course it not in the same league... but then again BB is not in that league any more and probably never will be... for me as long as they innovate and make a profit they will be a successful.....

as for a tablet... if they make something original and innovative... produce a limited run ala the Passport.....they stand a good chance of success.....
    flyersfan76, Jrox74 and Pcmx like this.
    10-29-14 06:32 PM
    Passport, MS Surface Pro type BB10 tablet, Blend and a premium Docs to Go app for both could be a winner.
    The problem with the setup you mention is that for a Surface Pro type tablet, you're looking at a Surface Pro type price likely. If I had to choose between a BB10 tablet or Windows Pro at a close cost (even $400 vs $600 for Windows), I'd go Windows just because I can Blend, have real Office and the power of a PC in a tablet.

If BlackBerry is going back into the tablet game, they need something truly innovative to be able to make a real go at it.

Posted via CB10
    Rello and cman5 like this.
    10-29-14 06:51 PM
    The problem with the setup you mention is that for a Surface Pro type tablet, you're looking at a Surface Pro type price likely. If I had to choose between a BB10 tablet or Windows Pro at a close cost (even $400 vs $600 for Windows), I'd go Windows just because I can Blend, have real Office and the power of a PC in a tablet.

If BlackBerry is going back into the tablet game, they need something truly innovative to be able to make a real go at it.

Posted via CB10
    Agree. People aren't going to bite on a ridiculous price this time. I know I won't lol. I think the Surface is pretty exspensive but if this new BB tablet is anywhere close in price to the Surface, im choosing windows.
    10-29-14 06:56 PM
    A tablet with a physical keyboard is needed I think. You have the same issue with them that you have on slab phones. Once the keyboard is up half the screen is now cut off which is exactly what the passport solved.

Maybe it should be a dumb tablet as well to get the price point down where you would miracast from your phone like the wiiu does.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 07:04 PM
    I love my PB and use it daily. Still has the best UI out there. A joy to use although at times it can be a little slow compared to other devices. Unfortunately as we all know it was released too soon and without email and contact syncing............ What ***** let that out to the market?

That said I would buy another in a heartbeat knowing that Mr C wouldn't let another dud out to market.
    10-29-14 07:24 PM
    The Playbook, love it or hate it, set up the 7-inch tablet market.

It was tragic that so little that could be done on it -- that problem doesn't exist with the Android runtime and a high-powered chip and lots of RAM.

If they do it right, it could be neat.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    dmlis likes this.
    10-29-14 08:16 PM
    If you call a mere 200K units a success
    They're not bending

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    10-29-14 08:29 PM
    No to a new BlackBerry tablet. Although I still use my PlayBook daily, tablets are as dependent on apps as smartphones (see Windows RT failure). With BlackBerry's current app gap and utter dependence on Android apps available through Amazon to fill it, not to mention lack of consumer confidence post-PlayBook, it's a recipe for disaster. With more and more manufacturers like Asus, HP, and Acer making either detachable screen or "flippable" laptops with massive storage, decent GPUs (Lenovo has a 13" flip laptop with 2GB GDDR5 memory), and massive RAM, the days of the tablet are numbered.

Posted via CB10
    flyersfan76 and CairnsRock like this.
    10-29-14 08:30 PM
87 123 ...