Claims "multiple sources", posts one link when asked to furnish them. Seems legit.

Thanks anyhow.
    here you are now, i'm providing more sources from a myriad of different areas for you to discredit:
    Kellogg Super Bowl Advertising Review - Kellogg School of Management
    BlackBerry and Best Buy: Two Super Bowl Ad Flops - Businessweek
    Super Bowl BlackBerry 10 ad focused on what Z10 can’t do | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    Is BlackBerry the Biggest Loser in Super Bowl XLVII? (RIMM)
    2013 Super Bowl Ads: GoDaddy, Budweiser, Mercedes, BlackBerry, Samsung and the night’s most interesting commercials. - Slate Magazine
    BlackBerry, BlackBerry Z10 | The Best and Worst Super Bowl Commercials of 2013 | TIME.com
    That can't have been Blackberry's Super Bowl ad, can it? | Technically Incorrect - CNET News
    Was BlackBerry's Super Bowl Ad the Dumbest Tech Ad You've Ever Seen?

to be honest, the whole doritos competition with michael bay calling the winners is pretty great advertising, blackberry has quite a fanbase still, and i think that's what they should be promoting. forget celebrities or business people who they already have. blackberry should be holding fan contests for fans to submit their reasons why they love the brand and have contests to make commercials for blackberry since the company doesn't seem to really make very good ones, kill two birds with one stone. this will relate more to the public than anything else.
    Last edited by katiepea; 02-04-13 at 07:16 PM.
    Novaone likes this.
    02-04-13 06:57 PM
    There's nothing wrong with that, but if there is sampling error (i.e. people are stuffing the ballot box) then the results don't provide an accurate result of what the general population really believes.

At another site I viewed (a sports network's website), the Blackberry commercial had a 37% positive rating. Also, the commercial does not appear to be rated in the top 10 (though it appears to be rated in the top half of commercials) at a U.S.-based print media source that typically examines people's reactions to the Super Bowl commercials the day after the Super Bowl.
    Nobody is stuffing the ballot here, again...tired conspiracy theories.

And as far as I know it is the 2 hours after the game, not the day after.
    Uh, I'd say there was ballot stuffing, most likely from Crackberry.com, on NFL.com. Most sites I've checked rated the Blackberry commercial below average.

For whatever it is worth, the two sources I referenced in my earlier post above are:

1) Fox Sports.com - according to their website, as of the time of this post (just before 8 PM ET on Monday 2/4), the Blackberry commercial had a 38% positive rating, the 11th lowest rating out of 53 commercials. Additionally, the Blackberry commercial received the 6th fewest views of the 53 commercials, meaning it did not elicit strong interest, positive or negative (unlike the Go Daddy commercial with model Bar Refaeli, which has the worst rating of any of the 53 commercials but also has the 8th most views).

2) USA Today - their annual Ad Meter survey includes over 7,600 pre-selected respondents. The survey results are linked here. Blackberry's commercial ranked roughly behind about 2/3 of the commercials shown during the Super Bowl.
    02-04-13 06:58 PM
    Uh, I'd say there was ballot stuffing, most likely from Crackberry.com, on NFL.com. Most sites I've checked rated the Blackberry commercial below average.

For whatever it is worth, the two sources I referenced in my earlier post above are:

1) Fox Sports.com - according to their website, as of the time of this post (just before 8 PM ET on Monday 2/4), the Blackberry commercial had a 38% positive rating, the 11th lowest rating out of 53 commercials. Additionally, the Blackberry commercial received the 6th fewest views of the 53 commercials, meaning it did not elicit strong interest, positive or negative (unlike the Go Daddy commercial with model Bar Refaeli, which has the worst rating of any of the 53 commercials but also has the 8th most views).

2) USA Today - their annual Ad Meter survey includes over 7,600 pre-selected respondents. The survey results are linked here. Blackberry's commercial ranked roughly behind about 2/3 of the commercials shown during the Super Bowl.
    yes and the site linked earlier from buisnessinsider specifically says that a large amount of traffic for blackberry voting came from this website, it actually disclaims that.
    02-04-13 07:02 PM
    yes and the site linked earlier from buisnessinsider specifically says that a large amount of traffic for blackberry voting came from this website, it actually disclaims that.
    Thanks for posting the link to the article. However, I do not see how the author of the article, or users on this site can say the users of this site somehow ballot stuffed the results. First of all the poll on this very site shows majority of people did not particularly like the commercial. You people mean to tell me that "a lot of voters came from CrackBerry.com" and caused the worse ad of the SuperBowl to be number one? Really?
    02-04-13 08:18 PM
    Looks like the "fix" is in LOL
    02-04-13 08:19 PM
    snip...You people mean to tell me that "a lot of voters came from CrackBerry.com" and caused the worse ad of the SuperBowl to be number one? Really?
    With only 15,000 total votes (claimed by Business Insider) thats sounds like exactly what happened.
    02-04-13 08:21 PM
    Thanks for posting the link to the article. However, I do not see how the author of the article, or users on this site can say the users of this site somehow ballot stuffed the results. First of all the poll on this very site shows majority of people did not particularly like the commercial. You people mean to tell me that "a lot of voters came from CrackBerry.com" and caused the worse ad of the SuperBowl to be number one? Really?
    the author of the article would know for a fact if traffic came from crackberry.com. they are able to see what directed people who vist a page got them there. if i have a site, say Example Domain and you visit it, i can see what referred you to it, meaning, either google, url bar entry, or a forum. the author of the article is probably seeing that a certain percentage of people who got to the poll were linked from this forum. it's as easy as a button click for him to see. and yeah the 2nd point you make, i voted for blackberry despite the fact i didn't like the commerical. 15,000 votes is what the article got for the vote, go back and look at the superbowl ad threads and see how many people viewed them. it's in the thousands. this isn't even remotely hard to imagine.
    02-04-13 08:23 PM
    I would agree with you except you have to explain the poll results of this site. How do you explain that?
    02-04-13 08:25 PM
    I'll assume you're familiar with the concept of siblings sometimes fighting/arguing like crazy with one another when no one else outside the family is involved, but defending/sticking up for one another when a non-family member attacks one of them. I kind of view the comments about the Blackberry commercial on this site and the survey results on NFL.com that way - on crackberry.com, Blackberry fanatics have no problems being critical about the commercial (if they genuinely didn't like it), but on a non-Blackberry oriented site, most Blackberry fans are going to stick together in support of Blackberry, no matter what they thought of the commercial. IMO that's the dynamic at work with the results at NFL.com.
    02-04-13 08:26 PM
    the author of the article would know for a fact if traffic came from crackberry.com. they are able to see what directed people who vist a page got them there. if i have a site, say Example Domain and you visit it, i can see what referred you to it, meaning, either google, url bar entry, or a forum. the author of the article is probably seeing that a certain percentage of people who got to the poll were linked from this forum. it's as easy as a button click for him to see. and yeah the 2nd point you make, i voted for blackberry despite the fact i didn't like the commerical. 15,000 votes is what the article got for the vote, go back and look at the superbowl ad threads and see how many people viewed them. it's in the thousands. this isn't even remotely hard to imagine.
    Maybe not but if you voted for the commercial and you did not like it then why complain about ballot stuffing?
    02-04-13 08:28 PM
    Maybe not but if you voted for the commercial and you did not like it then why complain about ballot stuffing?
    Katiepea didn't complain about ballot stuffing, I did. (Actually, I didn't complain about ballot stuffing either, I just said it was likely that was what occurred on NFL.com.)

For the record I did not vote for (or against) the Blackberry commercial on any website. It was an OK commercial but not particularly memorable commercial compared to many of the other ones I paid attention to.
    02-04-13 08:32 PM
    I'll assume you're familiar with the concept of siblings sometimes fighting/arguing like crazy with one another when no one else outside the family is involved, but defending/sticking up for one another when a non-family member attacks one of them. I kind of view the comments about the Blackberry commercial on this site and the survey results on NFL.com that way - on crackberry.com, Blackberry fanatics have no problems being critical about the commercial (if they genuinely didn't like it), but on a non-Blackberry oriented site, most Blackberry fans are going to stick together in support of Blackberry, no matter what they thought of the commercial. IMO that's the dynamic at work with the results at NFL.com.
    I can agree with that. My only concern is complaining about the results if you are part of the reason. I love BlackBerry and I did vote because I genuinely like the commercial and I would love for them to be the number one rated ad.
    02-04-13 08:35 PM
    Well, we know this good news must be wrong but it is blackberry. Obviously, they stuffed the digital voting box, of course BB10 is not sold out in England and there is no way someone would ditch their Samsung or iPhone for a blackberry as highlighted in that BB friendly rag BGR. Never, never, never, never, never. I'm holding my breath now...............................turning blue.................................just about to faint..................losing consciousne......................
    02-04-13 08:40 PM
    Katiepea didn't complain about ballot stuffing, I did. (Actually, I didn't complain about ballot stuffing either, I just said it was likely that was what occurred on NFL.com.)

For the record I did not vote for (or against) the Blackberry commercial on any website. It was an OK commercial but not particularly memorable commercial compared to many of the other ones I paid attention to.
    My apologies Katiepea. You are correct you did complain. However, you still have to explain the poll results of this site.
    02-04-13 08:40 PM
    Well, we know it must be wrong but it is blackberry. Obviously, they stuffed the digital voting box, of course BB10 is not sold out in England and there is no way someone would ditch their Samsung or iPhone for a blackberry as highlighted in that BB friendly rag BGR. Never, never, never, never, never. I'm holding my breath now...............................turning blue.................................just about to faint..................losing consciousne......................
    Get a BlackBerry Z10 because that is an ***** decision that it would not cause you to do. DON'T FAINT! Get a breathe of fresh air with the BlackBerry Z10.
    THBW likes this.
    02-04-13 08:44 PM
    To be honest, I wouldn't really rule out ballot stuffing. NFL.com doesn't acknowledge your prior votes, and the only way to see current votes is to vote again.
    02-04-13 09:31 PM
    On a more serious note, I think most people don't really understand marketing. It is not whether a commercial is good or bad, it is whether you are remembered. That is the point. Take for instance Go Daddy or My Daddy or whatever they call themselves. It might have been a good commercial but I don't remember. Worse I'm not sure what your company name is or what you do. This equates to failure. On the other hand, we are still talking about the BB commercial because it was designed to elicit emotional response that varies among people. The subsequent discussion is what creates buzz beyond the superbowl. This is the goal.
    02-04-13 10:00 PM
    katiepea, First off, thanks for digging into some research. However, you original claim is not fully supported by your references. Your claim was "Its already been determined by multiple sources that the ad ranked the worst ad of the super bowl by several different independent sources."

I did read each and every one of the links and have summarized their positions below:

Kellogg: They did not seem to like the ad, however this was the only thing they said about it "BlackBerry finished at the bottom of the ranking due to weak branding and the lack of a compelling benefit." Fair enough. However putting that judgment into context, I would argue that the BlackBerry brand is worse than weak in the US right now, it is hated or ignored. I would say that the ad needed to complete several very odd objectives given uniquely disadvantaged brand positioning that BlackBerry started with, namely; re-introducing the brand in a non aggressive and playful way as you cannot show the phone's features in 30 seconds.

businessweek - did not like it

.financialpost - was totally neutral

The Motley Fool - did not say whether the ad was good or not, but did not like the timing of the Z10 release in March

The Slate - was a pretty weak argument

Time - gave the ad a B- (Not bad for a first try in a country that mostly hates you)

CNET - has a serious hate on for BlackBerry, hard to believe he could have an objective view of the ad itself.

Gizmodo - thought the ad was dumb. Did not explain why.

I view this as the same problem as with movie critics; namely, the educated critics sometimes have a very different view than the masses. In this case, the experts already have a very negatively biased view of BlackBerry. I care more about what the masses think, and the ones voting on the NFL site rated the ad #1. That says something to me. Having Gizmodo, CNET and such bash the company doesn't bother BlackBerry fans too much, we have pretty thick skins.

I think you need to look at the Super Bowl ad as part of a much bigger marketing puzzle, and part of an extremely tough turnaround situation. On its own, the ad may not win praise from the critics, but from Frank Boulben's perspective the ad may have done what it was designed to do. It is hard to say without knowing what else is coming (like the formula one announcement and the ads that will flesh out the phone's unique capabilities)
    02-04-13 10:06 PM
    Frankly, I don't remember any of those commercials from the Super Bowl. I think Super Bowl ads are blown way out of proportion. One single ad, for a single event where most are drunk and care only about the game, will not make or break any business.

As for saying BB fans stuffed the ballot box...well, I do hope they realize that BB fans are also Super Bowl fans - we have the right to vote. It just happened that CB made many of us aware that there is such a voting thing going on on the NFL website (otherwise, many probably wouldn't realize it). More importantly, BB itself wasn't low enough to actually tweet out to its fan base asking for votes like Samsung apparently did. In our case, BB fans are showing a strong support, which should make investors go "Huh? Now there is something interesting going on. BB following is still strong and may be worth paying attention to." Instead of dismissing BB fans as foolish fanatics, they should wonder why a so-called "useless old POS device" still has such a strong following?
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-04-13 10:21 PM
    On a more serious note, I think most people don't really understand marketing. It is not whether a commercial is good or bad, it is whether you are remembered. That is the point. Take for instance Go Daddy or My Daddy or whatever they call themselves. It might have been a good commercial but I don't remember. Worse I'm not sure what your company name is or what you do. This equates to failure. On the other hand, we are still talking about the BB commercial because it was designed to elicit emotional response that varies among people. The subsequent discussion is what creates buzz beyond the superbowl. This is the goal.
    Seriously? how the **** did you forget the godaddy ad so fast? I'm going to need therapy!
    02-04-13 11:19 PM
    Oreo was one of the best. But u mean to tell me that those mother effers pulled it because of the traffic from crackberry?
    02-04-13 11:33 PM
    At the end of the day, did the add get people talking. Yes!
    Jake2826 and 19GhostRider71 like this.
    02-05-13 12:16 AM
    For those still interested and who have listened to the critics trash this ad for two days, it is still #1, by about 2000 votes on the NFL site. BTW the number 2,3, and 4 ads by Budweiser, Coke and Chrysler are very good, which is quite telling IMHO. The 12,000 people who voted for the ad on the NFL site and the almost 700,000 views on youtube have translated into significant exposure and, that my friends, is how you get back into the public's mindset. Lots of views + lots of exposure + no major screw ups = increased sales.

Super Bowl Commercials from Feb. 3, 2013 - NFL.com
    02-05-13 05:23 PM
    No. These news articles are because of how it failed to get people talking. "people" as in people who didn't already know about it or expect the ad.
    02-05-13 05:30 PM
    I'll be honest...I didn't even know that fans could ever vote on Super Bowl commercials. So my vote didn't factor into this . Not sure how many other people from CB did. The first time I saw it though, I thought it was good, but not great. Since then I've watched it a few (9759879218347987 ) times and I love it!
    02-05-13 05:42 PM
113 ... 2345