Hey there,

I am visiting my brother in china for 3 weeks and am trying to use my phone to the best of its abilities. I have dont a lot of reading and I was just wondering if someone here could break it down and simplify it for me. I am using an unlocked storm2 9550. bought a SIM card at the airport. The network it says its on is "China Unicom" not sure if thats china mobile or not. if i need to buy a different sim I will. I would LOVE to be able to use my BBM while I am here, At least email and other stuff. Also, I dont seem to be able to connect to his home network over WIFI. is there a reason for this?

I appreciate any help... Thank you,

Matt
    11-22-10 07:20 PM
    Hey there,

I am visiting my brother in china for 3 weeks and am trying to use my phone to the best of its abilities. I have dont a lot of reading and I was just wondering if someone here could break it down and simplify it for me. I am using an unlocked storm2 9550. bought a SIM card at the airport. The network it says its on is "China Unicom" not sure if thats china mobile or not. if i need to buy a different sim I will. I would LOVE to be able to use my BBM while I am here, At least email and other stuff. Also, I dont seem to be able to connect to his home network over WIFI. is there a reason for this?

I appreciate any help... Thank you,

Matt
    If you're saying you can't connect to BIS over Wi-Fi (and use BBM etc) then what happened was that, since you inserted a new SIM card into your device, your host routing table information (which gets provisioned to your device over the air along with your service books) was erased.

The best way to use a prepaid SIM overseas AND still have the Host Routing Table info intact so you can access BIS over Wi-Fi on Dual Mode CDMA/GSM devices is by ordering the SIM by mail from the states, inserting it into your device, then switch to CDMA to provision it OTA and then travel to China.
    11-22-10 07:40 PM
    You could also get those service books for the service provider by finding a blackberry that is working fully on China Unicom and backing up the service books through desktop manager and restoring them on to your storm.

These are some instructions on how to go about restoring those service books over to the storm. However, you do have to locate the China Unicom service books (from another device or maybe someone has them on the net):

http://theblackberryreview.blogspot....lackberry.html
    11-22-10 08:01 PM
    ok... so explain to me how I am connected to his WIFI but cannot access the internet though. What settings do I need to change if any to do this? or is this all in the service books as well?
    11-22-10 08:33 PM
    Problem is if you are using your blackberry in mainland china you may get it to work as the gov't there blocks alot of the blackberry services there. Its all censorship still in china.
    11-22-10 08:36 PM
    You could also get those service books for the service provider by finding a blackberry that is working fully on China Unicom and backing up the service books through desktop manager and restoring them on to your storm.

These are some instructions on how to go about restoring those service books over to the storm. However, you do have to locate the China Unicom service books (from another device or maybe someone has them on the net):

How To Load Service Books on Blackberry Storm | Blackberry Review
    I've tried backing up and restoring service books (even with the alt + SBEB trick) and it doesn't restore the host routing table information, which is what actually tells your BB how to connect to BIS over Wi-Fi.
    11-22-10 10:37 PM
    I've tried backing up and restoring service books (even with the alt + SBEB trick) and it doesn't restore the host routing table information, which is what actually tells your BB how to connect to BIS over Wi-Fi.
    And Culex, you backed up the service books from a China Unicom Blackberry?

ok... so explain to me how I am connected to his WIFI but cannot access the internet though. What settings do I need to change if any to do this? or is this all in the service books as well?
    After you've backed up the service books from the China Unicom BlackBerry you would need to go to the China Unicom BIS site and register a username and push the rest of the info to the phone. This will handle everything your blackberry needs to connect properly to their network (internet, email, etc).

This is a solution that has worked over and over. I have a customer who is on the ZAIN network in Africa, and got him support on his torch 9800 by showing him how to load the service books. Another source where the same solution is suggested:

Re: Unlocked Blacberry in China - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Last edited by bbicons; 11-23-10 at 10:34 AM.
    11-23-10 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD