Help Please!
    Yesterday, after having sent two SMS messages from my BlackBerry Storm 9500, my device decided to deny practically all knowledge of what an SMS is or how I might be able to read any I received.

How it happened:
    The first message sent OK and received its little tick, but no delivery report.
    The second message also received its little tick and shortly its delivery report.
    In the meantime, I uploaded a picture to facebook, which finished loading successfully. There was, however, still no delivery report and the display was showing the upwards diagonal arrow in the top right of the screen, indicating it was uploading information. Not being able to work out what it was uploading, I turned off the Storm and then started it up again. Still there. So I turned it off again, removed the battery and SIM, replaced them both and restarted.

All starts fine - except for error message:
    "Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"

And it's deleted the SMS button (not hidden: it is nowhere to be found, and the SMS settings line has been removed from the list under the Options button)

I can still send SMS messages, via the 'compose' option in the generic 'Messages' mailbox, but the error message is repeated. I can also still receive messages, as the message counter at the top of the screen has increased with test SMSs ssent from other phones - I just can't access them!

What I have tried:
    - Restore theme settings
    - Removing the battery again
    - Altering the settings of my generic 'Messages' mail inbox to combine email and SMS messages (this results in that mailbox telling me it has new unread & unseen messages, but not displaying any of them - emails come through no problem)
    -Altering the settings of the generic mailbox back to separate (this just shows the two separate 'new mail/messages' counters at the top of the screen and does not restore the SMS menu button)

Knowing a little of Java, this is obviously a software problem - the phone hardware seems to be receiving perfectly well, it's just that the OS is ignoring the SMS object. Is there any way of resetting the pointers?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers,

Mike
    05-20-09 02:28 AM
    I got this same message today on my 8900 and my "profiles", "facebook", and all my instant messaging icons were gone (not hidden anywhere)...I pulled the battery while the phone was still on and then they appeared.
    05-20-09 02:45 AM
    Cheers, just tried it - no luck unfortunately, still returns the Null Pointer Exception...
    05-20-09 03:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD