Hi all!

I have left BlackBerry quite a while ago now when switching to my Samsung Galaxy S7 and have never regretted it, despite having been a BlackBerry user for several years before that. The GS7 is a great phone by any standard in my opinion, at least for private use.

However, I currently have to go for a new company phone which I would carry in addition to the S7.

I am really looking into BlackBerry but I have somewhat lost track of where they are standing now and I am uncertain whether it can live up to my needs.

My company issues iPhone 6S by default and if I want to use something else I have to pay the hardware on my own. Android is not desired due to security policies even though some have apparently managed to still use one, so I could look into a DTEK but I don't know if I want to. In that case I might as well go for an iPhone, right?

Now, my company is currently phasing out BES so I could not take advantage of these services which basically rules out any BBOS phone anyways as they do not support ActiveSync / MS Exchange.

That leaves me more or less with the Classic or Q10. Now, is that really the way to go or shall I just forget BlackBerry and move on?

One thing I still miss from my Passport and Q10 is the PKB, so that would be a big plus. But besides that, isn't it that I'd only lose convenience? As the app world is a deserted place full of vicious and crippled creatures I'd have to stay with the regular messaging / communication components. This wouldn't be a big issue, I think, but can it really make me happy?

What are your opinions?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 02:26 PM
    Wait for Mercury. The android pkb. Probably the last BlackBerry designed phone.
    09-28-16 03:01 PM
    Does your company's new MDM solution support BB10? Have they given any guidance on what phones are supported beyond saying they need to support Active sync?
    09-28-16 03:04 PM
    Wait for Mercury. The android pkb. Probably the last BlackBerry designed phone.
    You should never put any faith in fan renders.
    09-28-16 03:12 PM
    Since I have seen some people using BB10, I know that it does work, even though it is limited as there is no BES in place anymore. By the way, this was also due to the immense monthly fees carriers charged for BES plans.

I don't think there is any real MDM platform in use currently, just server side policies. This means I can use ActiveSync but it can be restricted to VPN if accessing externally. If the BB10 VPN client that I need won't be supported anymore that's a problem.

Waiting for this Mercury is not an option as I need the phone now. I cannot wait for an undetermined time.

Seeing the news of today, sadly, I seriously consider just forgetting about BlackBerry entirely. I mean, does even the Android branch stand a chance? I feel like this is the end of BlackBerry as a smartphone company...

09-28-16 03:59 PM
    Wait for Mercury. The android pkb. Probably the last BlackBerry designed phone. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...97656636df.jpg
    haha it's not like we've ever seen fake information before here!

If that phone was happening it would have been mentioned today
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-28-16 04:13 PM
    haha it's not like we've ever seen fake information before here!

If that phone was happening it would have been mentioned today
    It was mentioned.
    09-28-16 04:37 PM
    Move on to an iPhone

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 04:46 PM
    There's an official hardware keyboard attachment for the S7 - here's mine, it's awesome!

Is BlackBerry still an option?-img_20160702_170112.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 05:03 PM
    PKB's are nice, and quite addictive. But most have forgotten or don't care anymore.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-28-16 06:18 PM
    Wait for Mercury. The android pkb. Probably the last BlackBerry designed phone. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...97656636df.jpg
    That's the dumbest idea I've seen for a fingerprint reader. Engrained in the space bar so you don't have to move your hand position? Even though it's fake, it's a stupid idea.
    mrluky60 likes this.
    09-28-16 06:58 PM
    I think it is smart.
    09-29-16 12:10 AM
    It was mentioned.
    When Chen said he's ceased all activity ?
    JeepBB and eldricho like this.
    09-29-16 01:02 AM
    That's the dumbest idea I've seen for a fingerprint reader. Engrained in the space bar so you don't have to move your hand position? Even though it's fake, it's a stupid idea.
    How is it a dumb idea? The iPhone and Galaxy phones have it on their Home buttons, which is placed where the spacebar is on a BlackBerry. The placement on these devices seems to have worked out just fine for Apple and Samsung, but what do they know?

Posted via CB10
    mrluky60 likes this.
    09-29-16 01:03 AM
    When Chen said he's ceased all activity ?
    Well too many things said. On one interview he said it wasn't decided yet.
    09-29-16 01:43 AM
    [QUOTE=ardakca;12606602]Well too many things said. On one interview he said it wasn't decided yet.[/QUOTE

Only pay addition to what he says in regulatory filings and in earnings calls - everything else is filler.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    09-29-16 02:46 AM
    [QUOTE=cgk;12606635]
    Well too many things said. On one interview he said it wasn't decided yet.[/QUOTE

Only pay addition to what he says in regulatory filings and in earnings calls - everything else is filler.
    Since Mercury - Rome was you know started last yearor even before starting with Oslo. Could it be that BlackBerry passed the design to TCL?
    09-29-16 03:13 AM
    Sure, it's still an option, just no longer a great one. Anyone who was "PlayBooked" will know why.
    09-29-16 03:20 AM
    How is it a dumb idea? The iPhone and Galaxy phones have it on their Home buttons, which is placed where the spacebar is on a BlackBerry. The placement on these devices seems to have worked out just fine for Apple and Samsung, but what do they know?

Posted via CB10
    Its a dumb idea because Blackberry has no experience in making a fingerprint scanner and putting it in in a physical keyboard on a small key that is constantly being pressed is a terrible idea.
    09-29-16 05:41 AM
    BlackBerry is the only option....

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-29-16 07:12 AM
    Its a dumb idea because Blackberry has no experience in making a fingerprint scanner and putting it in in a physical keyboard on a small key that is constantly being pressed is a terrible idea.
    I bet home button is pressed more overall.
    09-29-16 07:23 AM

Hopefully not the last PKB device though. To be honest that looks a bit big, if it was a bit more compact I'd love it.

And BB please make it dual-sim or allow the option ... one for work and another for 'pleasure' lol
    09-29-16 07:35 AM
    There's an official hardware keyboard attachment for the S7 - here's mine, it's awesome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160702_170112.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	409181

Posted via CB10

No offence to you personally but that looks absolutely hideous.
    09-29-16 07:36 AM
    What are you going to have to do with your company phone? I am currently using a Q10 and it is an absolute beast for texts/emails/voice calls. However, the app situation is slowly deteroirating.

If you need app access for work, just go with the company issued iOS device. Otherwise consider the Q.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 07:43 AM
    Hi all!

I have left BlackBerry quite a while ago now when switching to my Samsung Galaxy S7 and have never regretted it, despite having been a BlackBerry user for several years before that. The GS7 is a great phone by any standard in my opinion, at least for private use.

However, I currently have to go for a new company phone which I would carry in addition to the S7.

I am really looking into BlackBerry but I have somewhat lost track of where they are standing now and I am uncertain whether it can live up to my needs.

My company issues iPhone 6S by default and if I want to use something else I have to pay the hardware on my own. Android is not desired due to security policies even though some have apparently managed to still use one, so I could look into a DTEK but I don't know if I want to. In that case I might as well go for an iPhone, right?

Now, my company is currently phasing out BES so I could not take advantage of these services which basically rules out any BBOS phone anyways as they do not support ActiveSync / MS Exchange.

That leaves me more or less with the Classic or Q10. Now, is that really the way to go or shall I just forget BlackBerry and move on?

One thing I still miss from my Passport and Q10 is the PKB, so that would be a big plus. But besides that, isn't it that I'd only lose convenience? As the app world is a deserted place full of vicious and crippled creatures I'd have to stay with the regular messaging / communication components. This wouldn't be a big issue, I think, but can it really make me happy?

What are your opinions?

OP I think you already know enough, and are looking for someone to talk you out of your decision.

BB10 is dead...
    Future of BB Android is now in question.... as there were some indications in the Earnings Call that the licensing would not included their special version of Android. If that isn't included, then there is really no reason to keep developing it. Just the suite of Apps would be necessary. Especially as I don't think these licensing deal are about offering secure phones... it's just about the BlackBerry brand in markets where it still has meaning. Which might end up only being Indonesa.

I'd go with what you company recommends.
    09-29-16 07:43 AM
140 123 ...