Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree6Likes
  1. dweese's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Blackberry still #1 smartphone in Canada

    This was in the Toronto Star today, which is suprising because the Star tends to hate on BB at every chance they get, so I can't beleive they published this one.

    Walk around any Canadian city and you'll no doubt see people tapping on smartphones, reading e-books at cafés or swiping through a game of Angry Birds.

    But what devices are we toting around, exactly? Ipsos Reid wanted to find out as part of its "Mobil-ology" study, conducted across Canada in January and August of 2011.

    Despite Research in Motion's high-profile troubles, BlackBerry is the no. 1 smartphone platform with 38 per cent market share in August, says Ipsos Reid. This number is down from 41 per cent in January, however. Apple now has a quarter of the market at 25 per cent, up two percentage points since January. Android-based devices – from the likes of Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola and Sony – collectively captured 27 per cent of the market in August (up 1 point from January).

    When it comes to tablets, Apple's iPad still dominates – but not as much as it did in January. At the start of the year, Apple had a 78 per cent market share, but increased competition has resulted in a slip to 56 per cent in August, reports Ipsos Reid. BlackBerry's PlayBook rose from 0 per cent in January to 10 per cent in August, plus many new Android-based tablets debuted between that time.
    The whole story.....

    Canadians still love their BlackBerrys - moneyville.ca Blogs
    Dave
    Thanked by:
    Fascade518 (11-11-2011) 
    Fascade518 likes this.
  2. JeremiahND's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Hmm.. I don't know actually..
  3. XtasyX's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    I agree with these studies. Despite the problem RIMs been facing, Blackberries sales through carriers wasn't affected much and the ratio between Blackberries and other devices are still roughly 50:50. At least from my experience. Anyone else in this industry can chime in?
  4. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,316 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #4  

    Default

    I still love my blackberry.

    Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9700 using Tapatalk @ wapforums.crackberry.com
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

    My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
  5. ShoshiOne's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    415 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    That was so nice to read. In the US, plenty of people believe that if BBs aren't doing well here that they must be downhill everywhere. (Note: This is not saying everyone in the US, just a lot of people, especially around where I live. So not meant to insult. )
    I'm so glad they are doing so well in many other countries.
  6. moemoes32's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XtasyX View Post
    I agree with these studies. Despite the problem RIMs been facing, Blackberries sales through carriers wasn't affected much and the ratio between Blackberries and other devices are still roughly 50:50. At least from my experience. Anyone else in this industry can chime in?
    I agree with those facts as well, a few weeks ago when blackberry had that outtage a few pplwere saying that blackberry was going out of business I told them naw they just had an outtage for a few hours but when apple iphone has a problem like with every new phone they bring to the market they try and hide because they want u to think they don't have problems and that they are the best and there not most of thrm are crap n thbe new iphone 4 s siri don't even work half the time lol!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    guerllamo7 likes this.
  7. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    #7  

    Default

    Even if RIM and BB had 1% share, I will never, ever change devices

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    stevepar and ekv like this.
  8. CDM76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,517 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,519 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Even if RIM and BB had 1% share, I will never, ever change devices

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Agreed !!! With Vlingo and bbprotect and a few other apps I've been showing the guys @ work why BB is so great .... We've had these apps for a LOT long than iToy has had comparables

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  9. rocmon's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    57 Posts
    #9  

    Default BB is in a 'class' of its own...

    i don't really think there's anything other phones can't (mostly) do - but only BlackBerry has the BlackBerry prestige!

    love to work on my BB and play on my PB
    hooked on bb!
  10. sallenthornton's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDM76 View Post
    Agreed !!! With Vlingo and bbprotect and a few other apps I've been showing the guys @ work why BB is so great .... We've had these apps for a LOT long than iToy has had comparables

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

    Was wondering how long it was going to take before I heard someone mention the itoy word. Congrats.

    Curious as to what apps you have been showing your friends that are so great. I googled the top 10 apps for blackberry and came up with google maps, Facebook, twitter, four square, IM lite etc etc. Seemed the common thing between them was they were all geared toward messaging and most were free. And having used some of the apps mentioned on both platforms.... I must say-- what you talking about Willis?

    Now I'm not trying to put RIM down, nor am I bashing the app store, but you are seriously delusional if you think that blackberry apps are in anyway shape or form, better than their competitors versions. Be real. Seriously. There might be some that are close, but none that I have seen or have are 'better' than the android or iOS offerings that I have seen.

    Disclaimer: I own an iPhone 4, but have owned numerous blackberries through the years. Currently have an 9700 on another line used on my business account. Tried the torch 9810 and found it wasn't for me. Fully expect to purchase a 9900. I'm just waiting to see if the bricking issues have been corrected before I buy.
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 11-10-2011 at 09:48 PM.
  11. sk8er_tor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,861 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,863 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Definitely agree with the article. I see BlackBerry everywhere in Toronto.
    chiefbroski likes this.
  12. sofakingcdn's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    40 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Iphone taking over bb's previously huge market at a considerably large rate in Manitoba since the launch of Roger's province-wide network on both MTS and Rogers. I'd like to see those numbers broken down by province.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  13. sallenthornton's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sofakingcdn View Post
    Iphone taking over bb's previously huge market at a considerably large rate in Manitoba since the launch of Roger's province-wide network on both MTS and Rogers. I'd like to see those numbers broken down by province.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Honestly... I would have been surprised if the blackberry wasn't the most popular in Canada. It is a Canadian company.
  14. AbleDavid's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    I live in a small Saskatchewan town. The local SaskTel Mobility dealer tells me that just about all the young kids are buying Blackberrys. Kinda surprised me I guess. I assumed all the kids would be going with iPhone or Android. Not so. They all want BBs.
  15. soren203's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    True, or at least where I live. Most of my friends and family have blackberrys.
    8330, 9000, 9780
    clowrym likes this.
  16. gordongr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    594 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    PIN
    76A74FF2
    #16  

    Default

    people here in the US are very gullible when it comes to advertising, everywhere you look you see a billboard or magazine advertisement showing off the latest so called bleeding edge technology from Android & people rush to buy them, we are in the middle of a smart phone craze here. I dont know how it is in the rest of the world but here its nuts. Dont see many Blackberry ads
  17. mnecpal's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    13 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    What's all the fuss about. I like my BB 9810 and PB (64GB). Both do exactly what I want them to do. I like the ease of use and functionality of both. I know people who have iPhones and iPads; they enjoy their devices as much as I enjoy mine. We are all happy in the end. So, what's the fuss then?
    Thanked by:
    00stryder (11-11-2011) 
  18. sallenthornton's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mnecpal View Post
    What's all the fuss about. I like my BB 9810 and PB (64GB). Both do exactly what I want them to do. I like the ease of use and functionality of both. I know people who have iPhones and iPads; they enjoy their devices as much as I enjoy mine. We are all happy in the end. So, what's the fuss then?
    Who's fussing?
  19. ekv
    ekv is offline
    ekv's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    120 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordongr View Post
    people here in the US are very gullible when it comes to advertising, everywhere you look you see a billboard or magazine advertisement showing off the latest so called bleeding edge technology from Android & people rush to buy them, we are in the middle of a smart phone craze here. I dont know how it is in the rest of the world but here its nuts. Dont see many Blackberry ads
    Anyone seen ads with celebs endorsing blackberries an any country ?
  20. anthogag's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    Was wondering how long it was going to take before I heard someone mention the itoy word. Congrats.

    Curious as to what apps you have been showing your friends that are so great. I googled the top 10 apps for blackberry and came up with google maps, Facebook, twitter, four square, IM lite etc etc. Seemed the common thing between them was they were all geared toward messaging and most were free. And having used some of the apps mentioned on both platforms.... I must say-- what you talking about Willis?

    Now I'm not trying to put RIM down, nor am I bashing the app store, but you are seriously delusional if you think that blackberry apps are in anyway shape or form, better than their competitors versions. Be real. Seriously. There might be some that are close, but none that I have seen or have are 'better' than the android or iOS offerings that I have seen.

    Disclaimer: I own an iPhone 4, but have owned numerous blackberries through the years. Currently have an 9700 on another line used on my business account. Tried the torch 9810 and found it wasn't for me. Fully expect to purchase a 9900. I'm just waiting to see if the bricking issues have been corrected before I buy.


    Ah, those apps you begin to list are not in my Top 10.

    I know what you're trying to sway
    Ex. Evernote, the iPhone app lets you view individual notebooks, on BlackBerry there is only viewing "All Notes"

    ...so freakin what, it's just more iPhoney-baloney
  21. blackberry-unlocking710's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    I know that many users worldwide buy Blackberry devices from Canadian carrier and unlock them to use outside of Canada... another thing is that people in Canada buy Blackberry devices and sell them Online as unlocked new Blackberry phone for any carrier... i think that the American market gets many Canadian users for iphone, but they got it worldwide.
  22. Tyrrell117's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    134 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    I see a lot of blackberries around Manitoba, but I also hear a lot of people say how they're switching to an iphone soon. Seen a lot of switchers since the iphone 4 came to Manitoba.

    I personally will stick with my blackberry. iphone can do everything I need in a phone, as can the blackberry I just prefer the physical keyboard. I can't stand tapping away on a screen when trying to actually message people or e-mail people.

    It's amazing how heated people get about the different phones though. It's like Chevy/Ford. They're the same thing with a different name on it, get over it.
  23. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Geek

    Posts
    11,691 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,409 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ekv View Post
    Anyone seen ads with celebs endorsing blackberries an any country ?
    I have not seen any ads on TV for BlackBerry in over a year.
  24. Darrweng's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    26 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Canadians should be loyal to their phones as they are loyal with their coffee. Tim Horton's and Blackberry; Stay away from Starbucks and iToys!!!!
  25. dweese's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbleDavid View Post
    I live in a small Saskatchewan town. The local SaskTel Mobility dealer tells me that just about all the young kids are buying Blackberrys. Kinda surprised me I guess. I assumed all the kids would be going with iPhone or Android. Not so. They all want BBs.
    The reason for that is, RIM still puts out older models like the 3G Curve which you can pick up for under $100 with no contract and get a monthly plan with BBM, Facebook and Twitter for about $30 a month. It what my kids have and same with their friends. With iToy you're looking at $150 with a 3 year contract and $60 a month because you have to take a dataplan. There are not may parents out there willing to pop for a 3 year contract for their kids phone.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions