I've been travelling this week for the first time in South Korea. As the home of Samsung it's not really a BlackBerry hotbed (haven't seen a single one yet being carried by a local, and the kr.blackberry.com homepage still has the 9900 as its main phone).

Two things have amused me though...
    1) When I pulled out my 9900 at a meeting a Korean commented "Oh Blackberry..Obama's phone". Amazing how years later how that resonates with people. Anyone know if Barack has been spotted with a Z10 or Q10?

2) There was a baseball game on TV from LA around lunchtime and I asked my host if he knew the time difference between Seoul and LA (as I wasn't sure if the game was live or taped). He gave me an answer that didn't make sense, so I pulled out my BB, and switched my time zone to Pacific and had my answer in about say 10 seconds. I then told him the correct answer and he then pulled out his Samsung Android thingee and fumbled around for about 3 minutes before he had his answer which agreed with mine. Don't know if it was a knowledge or software issue but if kinda made my day in a sick sort of way. People who do things rock!
    06-25-13 09:07 AM
    Not terribly surprising. South Koreans I've known are huge patriotic buyers they only seek out stuff made from "home". Most countries are like that I suppose.

Funny that Obama is synonymous with Blackberry there. But it does go to show how "people" branding is big in Asia.
    Pity Obama is pretty much dirt these days. It's naive to blame him completely, but he certainly has tainted his presidency with this.
    06-25-13 09:51 AM
    That sort of thing happens to me all the time. The other day I won a box of cupcakes when the boss asked for an answer in a meeting. First one to have the correct answer got the cupcakes. That was me and Mr. Z by about a full minute.

People who get things done do indeed rock. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 10:06 AM
    They should get Psy, the Gangnam Style dancer, as a marketing asset

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 10:20 AM
    Not terribly surprising. South Koreans I've known are huge patriotic buyers they only seek out stuff made from "home". Most countries are like that I suppose.

Funny that Obama is synonymous with Blackberry there. But it does go to show how "people" branding is big in Asia.
    Pity Obama is pretty much dirt these days. It's naive to blame him completely, but he certainly has tainted his presidency with this.
    This is true. At UW Koreans almost always get Samsung products and other Korean products like Kia cars etc. I guess it's to support the war effort available the north?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 10:46 AM
    They should get Psy, the Gangnam Style dancer, as a marketing asset

Posted via CB10
    Too late..he's doing beer commercials here!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-26-13 09:38 AM
    Too late..he's doing beer commercials here!
    Hahaahaaa lol

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-26-13 11:19 AM