Ok, so I have an unlocked Blackberry bold 9700

I am currently living and working in South Korea. I have been trying to activate my phone for the past month this is what I have learned:

SK telecom sells and services Blackberry phones.

If I want to use my "foreign" blackberry in South Korea I will have to obtain a license to do so from some Korean business board. The cost ranges from 300,000 to 500,000 won, or 300 to 500 dollars. After that they will issue you a sim card.

This is what I gather based on failed attempts and conversations in broken English, if anyone can clarify further or elaborate on how to use my Canadian blackberry in South Korea please let me know.

It's clearly a cash grab system so they can preserve their LG and Samsung market.
    11-09-10 11:12 PM
    I think what you heard is basically right and you may be able to use your Canadian phone in Korea after getting a certificate from the research council. You can get a certificate yourself, which is cheaper, or through a relevant agency.
    If you get a certificate you just buy a price plan right for you (BIS is charged separately).
    Why don't you go to contact SK Telecom customer centre directly (as on their website) and they would tell you how to proceed.

Hope this will help you.
    11-10-10 12:46 AM
    Have you had any luck certifying your phone or did you go with some other solution? How much are the voice and data plans there?
    11-29-10 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD