BlackBerry sold in 7 million devices in FY2015 2014
    No, it was Fiscal 2015 which ran from March 1st 2014 to February 28th 2015.
    MarsupilamiX and q649 like this.
    03-28-15 10:54 AM
    An important question for FY2016 will be whether first gen BB10 customers will stay loyal and replace their devices after 2 years of usage with newer BB10 devices or leave the sinking ship instead.
    They won't if there isn't an upgrade available. Specifically Z10/Z30 users. There simply isn't anything available to replace with. The product doesn't exist. No amount of "loyalty " changes that.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 10:56 AM
    OS7 shipments have been on decline for a while. In FY2016 I expect them to account for less than 10% of all new devices sold in.

Here are BB7 shipments for the past 3 quarters compared to BB10 shipments.

Quarter / BB7 Shipments / BB10 Shipments
    Q2 - 0.69m / 1.41m
    Q3 - 0.62m / 1.38m
    Q4 - 0.43m / 0.87m

What is so shocking in some ways is how BlackBerry OS7 devices are still being sold in over 2 years from BB10 launch. As of the end of this year they still account for more than 30% of all new devices being sold in which is crazy tbh.

It'd be like Windows Phone 7 accounting for 30% of total Windows Phone 7/8 shipments today. And that's far from the truth. Windows Phone 7 smartphones aren't even shipping any more.
    Not shocking to many of us who still use them... If you have a tab, bbos is still very good and the small form factor keyboard phones are a huge selling point as is the simplicity of the bbos. Really to bad no updated 9900 bold ie 9999 bbos. Came out..

If they launched it now with bb10 skinned to look and function exactly like bbos in the interface I bet it would outsell the q and classic and passport sales combined. I know I'd get rid of my q for it and my gf would get rid of her bold for it and even if she upgrades to classic if it ever comes in white we would pay cash for the bold 9999 and just keep or q and classic in a drawer.
    03-28-15 10:57 AM
    I think the drop this year will be a bit softer. It will no doubt drop, But I don't think it'll drop by 50% again.

As you say, the new BB10 models and improved carrier relations will help BB10 sales in the short term as BB7 sales continue to decline. Whilst I can't accurately say what we'll see next year, I'd expect total sell in to exceed 5 million units across all BlackBerry smartphones. Again, that means that BB10 growth would remain stagnant YOY.

BlackBerry either need to find a way to increase total BlackBerry 10 sales or get rid of the hardware division altogether. Because once BB7 is dead and BB10 starts to decline then it's not going to be pretty. Especially when the smartphone market is growing more than 25% each year.

The good news is that BlackBerry have started to realise this and are focusing more on Software and other revenue streams which have seen percentage increases over the past few years. Hardware revenue has been on a decline for a while now and so it's never been more important for the other revenue streams to increase.
    Smartphone market growth is not growing at a 25% rate. It has slowed to 10-12% and will continue to slow as companies try to expand share in China and less saturated markets. Share now depends on turn over of existing users.

The only growth categories are health, industrial and non specific niche areas

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-28-15 11:01 AM
    They won't if there isn't an upgrade available. Specifically Z10/Z30 users. There simply isn't anything available to replace with. The product doesn't exist. No amount of "loyalty " changes that.
    There isn't even an upgrade device for Q10 users...
    -Classic? Why buying "the same device" again?
    -Passport? Too strange/big for most "traditional" QWERTY guys.
    03-28-15 11:08 AM
    Smartphone market growth is not growing at a 25% rate. It has slowed to 10-12% and will continue to slow as companies try to expand share in China and less saturated markets. Share now depends on turn over of existing users.

The only growth categories are health, industrial and non specific niche areas

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    The smartphone market grew by almost 30% last year.

Where are you getting 10-12% from?
    MarsupilamiX and Kimberella like this.
    03-28-15 11:12 AM
    Not shocking to many of us who still use them... If you have a tab, bbos is still very good and the small form factor keyboard phones are a huge selling point as is the simplicity of the bbos. Really to bad no updated 9900 bold ie 9999 bbos. Came out..

If they launched it now with bb10 skinned to look and function exactly like bbos in the interface I bet it would outsell the q and classic and passport sales combined. I know I'd get rid of my q for it and my gf would get rid of her bold for it and even if she upgrades to classic if it ever comes in white we would pay cash for the bold 9999 and just keep or q and classic in a drawer.
    That's kind of my point as well. How BlackBerry have been slow to drive adoption of BB10.

They're still shipping OS7 devices and not releasing more BB10 devices. Of course the majority of new sales are going to emerging markets for OS7 but It still confuses me why BlackBerry never pushed BB10 over BB7 in the same way Nokia and Microsoft pushed Windows Phone 8 over Windows Phone 7.
    03-28-15 11:16 AM
    That's kind of my point as well. How BlackBerry have been slow to drive adoption of BB10.
    Like migrating legacy users to the new platform. There should have been incentives in place right from the start.
    03-28-15 11:20 AM
    There was and number is still valid. That number (8000) is/was sales of Passport and Classic in AT&T and Verizon.
    The number is only valid if they include that information along with it.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 11:22 AM
    Here is a visual way of seeing BlackBerry sell in for last 4 fiscal years.

BlackBerry sold in 7 million devices in FY2015-bb_zpskr0x6vzy.jpg
    03-28-15 11:44 AM

Just keep your old BBOS device until it dies.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-28-15 12:36 PM
    There was and number is still valid. That number (8000) is/was sales of Passport and Classic in AT&T and Verizon.
    In that case BlackBerry only sold (1) Classic.*

*to people named Art, born in June, under AT&T, in L.A, w/ 10gb family plan, listens to AC/DC, watches Walking Dead, and enjoys long walks on the beach*

"Selling (1) device won't save the company, they are doomed!"

-BlackBerry-hating reporter

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    Kimberella and BB_Junky like this.
    03-28-15 02:29 PM
    The number is only valid if they include that information along with it.

Posted via CB10
    Off course, you are right. Analysts included that information to they analysis. Writer of article "forgot" included that information.
    03-28-15 03:26 PM
    Off course, you are right. Analysts included that information to they analysis. Writer of article "forgot" included that information.
    And you know this how? Every comment I have seen from you here and elsewhere has been negative.

Usually when people only have good or bad things to say they are biased and their comments / opinions are worth trash.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-28-15 04:26 PM
    Are you saying I forgot to mention this?

Because the 8,000 number doesn't matter at all when we have actual sell in and sell through numbers from BlackBerry's audited financials.
    03-28-15 04:37 PM
    Yup me too. And the issue is that BB10 isn't growing, and BB7 is declining sharply, and so overall BB shipments are decreasing YOY.

The main reason at the moment is because BlackBerry have lost the consumer market. Back when Smartphones were just coming into fashion (early 2000's) the reason for BlackBerry's success was the business market. The major players at the time such as Windows Mobile and RIM were selling in to Businesses who were driving smartphone sales. Now, thanks to the iPhone and Android and general shift in trends the overwhelming majority of smartphone users are the general public. With more than 1.3 billion smartphones sold in the last year, BlackBerry only sold 7 million..... They've lost the consumer market and now have a very small Niche. In fact BlackBerry are nowhere near the top 10 as evidenced in the image below.

Total number of BlackBerry Smartphones sold in worldwide
    FY2011 - 52.3m
    FY2012 - 49.0m
    FY2013 - 28.1m
    FY2014 - 13.7m
    FY2015 - 7.0m

Attachment 344248

BB sold 7 million
    Man... kinda makes you wonder.

Hard to imagine a BlackBerry Android device doing worse than Huawei or ZTE or TCL.. or... Coolpad???

A crummy Z3/Leap with Android would probably sell more than all BB10 units combined... lol

Sad.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 04:49 PM
    Double post
    03-28-15 04:50 PM
    @OP. Thanks for posting. Those of us that have been around also understand (or should) that the decline in sales numbers have been dwindling for some time now. For some, upgrades are not the problem for those that purchase unlocked BlackBerries online. LOL, I've had two upgrades on at&t for over two years now........and still waiting. While the strategy seems to be focused on rebuilding BES, most of the "former" 70 Mil consumers were non-business BlackBerry owners. So, no one is surprised/ shocked about the non-business consumers leaving while sales are not going up from BBOS transitions to BB10.
    MarsupilamiX and ubizmo like this.
    03-28-15 05:12 PM
    Man... kinda makes you wonder.

Hard to imagine a BlackBerry Android device doing worse than Huawei or ZTE or TCL.. or... Coolpad???

A crummy Z3/Leap with Android would probably sell more than all BB10 units combined... lol

Sad.

Posted via CB10
    The Android runtime, default inclusion of Amazon app store and the whole app neutrality notion confirms the non viability of BlackBerry World. Handsets running Android will confirm non viability of BlackBerry 10 OS altogether. BlackBerry will probably never do that but who knows. Truly sad indeed.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-28-15 05:13 PM
    An important question for FY2016 will be whether first gen BB10 customers will stay loyal and replace their devices after 2 years of usage with newer BB10 devices or leave the sinking ship instead.
    A good question. Given the number of angry posts I've seen hereabouts over the absence of a suitable BB10 upgrade device for Z10/30 owners, I wonder how many are angry enough to vote with their feet.

Chen has published a roadmap (of sorts) at MWC... No high-end touch on it. He's also quoted as saying that 2015 will only have PKB phones in it.

How many of those 1st gen people will wait until next year, at the earliest, in the hope that a Z50 will come? Not many I reckon. Even the uber-fans must surely be wavering?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-28-15 05:35 PM
    The Android runtime, default inclusion of Amazon app store and the whole app neutrality notion confirms the non viability of BlackBerry World. Handsets running Android will confirm non viability of BlackBerry 10 OS altogether. BlackBerry will probably never do that but who knows. Truly sad indeed.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is the victim os BB's many past wrong decisions. Right now, ANY new OS will suffer a similar fate because the battle hasn't been OS vs OS for at least 3 years now, but ecosystem vs ecosystem. The current situation is the free market telling BB that they were too late to the market, with a buggy os (at the time).
    03-28-15 05:38 PM

They're still shipping OS7 devices and not releasing more BB10 devices. Of course the majority of new sales are going to emerging markets for OS7 but It still confuses me why BlackBerry never pushed BB10 over BB7 in the same way Nokia and Microsoft pushed Windows Phone 8 over Windows Phone 7.
    My hazy recollection of the WP7 to WP8 transition is that MS were ruthless about it. They stated that WP7 was a dead end, and that devices wouldn't be upgradable to WP8. Essentially they abandoned WP7 and its users. A bold and risky strategy that might not have paid off.

An equivalent BB strategy of letting BBOS whither would likely have been suicide considering that BBOS was (still is?) paying the bills.
    03-28-15 05:44 PM
    From what I've gathered, BlackBerry will not be manufacturing any more OS7 devices. The probably still have stock to ship though.
    It sounded like they didn't. Chen was asked that in the call and he said something about not having any old inventory in stock.

They may have some in the channels that are considered a liability though.
    03-28-15 05:44 PM
    OS7 shipments have been on decline for a while. In FY2016 I expect them to account for less than 10% of all new devices sold in.

Here are BB7 shipments for the past 3 quarters compared to BB10 shipments.

Quarter / BB7 Shipments / BB10 Shipments
    Q2 - 0.69m / 1.41m
    Q3 - 0.62m / 1.38m
    Q4 - 0.43m / 0.87m

What is so shocking in some ways is how BlackBerry OS7 devices are still being sold in over 2 years from BB10 launch. As of the end of this year they still account for more than 30% of all new devices being sold in which is crazy tbh.

It'd be like Windows Phone 7 accounting for 30% of total Windows Phone 7/8 shipments today. And that's far from the truth. Windows Phone 7 smartphones aren't even shipping any more.
    It's kinda the same way iPhone 4 s is still selling even though there is the 7 n 6+ and soon another one ( or two)

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    diehardbbuser likes this.
    03-28-15 05:52 PM
    And who validated it? BlackBerry? AT&T? Verizon?
    03-28-15 05:54 PM
151 1234 ...