I thought this was rather funny, that BlackBerry the legendary now-tarnished brand has managed to sell only 400k devices in a single quarter, while LeEco which most people don't know, managed to sell 500k devices in 15 secs according to GSMarena:

"It should then come as no surprise that the entire first batch of phones LeEco had prepared managed to become sold out in just 15 seconds. And we're not talking about a few thousand handsets here. LeEco moved no less than 500,000 units in that time frame."

LeEco sells 500,000 Le Pro 3 units in 15 seconds - GSMArena.com news

So you say the market is really saturated. I believe the whole saturated excuse used by many is a weak way to justify BlackBerry's management utter failure in selling devices even with Android. I'm ceratin If they re-branded a OnePlus3 they won't even know how to sell it.

Of course LeEco sold the devices in China, but Ladies & Gents, LeEco is an unknown brand to most people. As a matter of fact, LeEco has been only making smartphones since Early/2016. I'm sure a lot of you haven't even heard about it. The competition in china is intense more than any other country, so while people will argue the Chinese buy phones as if they're candy, I would argue its hard to be successful there than anywhere else.

Failing to get 3 million devices sold per year to keep the hardware segment alive is simply a joke. It has nothing to do with BlackBerry having below the par devices. The management is to blame for failing over and over.

1. The decision to move to android too late when the brand is irrelevant.
    2. The decision to keep releasing BB10 devices as if people may get brainwashed and forget about apps then proceed to buy them.
    3. The numerous failings of the Priv: Price, PKB, high-range device, late push to carriers, lack of distribution, etc...
    4. The decision it will be a re-branded Alcatel idol 4 with a bad battery that will score them sales because people told Chen we want a $400 device.

BlackBerry as a smartphone brand has been brought down by strategic errors that were repeated over and over with 3 different managements starting from Mikey & Jimmy up until Chen. Its easy to sit down here and criticize them as if I could've done better. But come on even the average tech enthusiasts wouldn't have done half the disasters they did. Anyone with a brain wouldn't do it.

Chen as a CEO is great in terms of software, this has been quite obvious. When they brought him, they clearly saw his story with Sybase and were more concerned with turning BlackBerry around more than BlackBerry becoming successful in a certain segment. This company only needed someone good to turn the losing devices segment. Chen stepped away from devices and let Thurber handle them after recognizing he is NIL in smartphones. He even acts awkwardly around them.

This is just my opinion regarding the whole situation, it was the mindless management that brought down the hardware. Chen should be lauded for his job with software but not with hardware because he is as clueless as the CEOs before him.
    wojt7 likes this.
    09-29-16 10:46 AM
    Yeah, again, price is king, people don't care much for non rootable Android.
    09-29-16 10:54 AM
    09-29-16 11:13 AM
    LeEco probably made $10 total on that sale tho.
    09-29-16 11:15 AM
    I still think Android has nothing to do with any of it. BB10 could have easily sold in the millions if marketed and supported correctly. With sales would come apps and an app ecosystem. Devs are very money motivated so if there is potential for substantial profit they will come. The move to Android was a sign that management is just shooting in the dark, hoping they can catch a ride on a more successful company's coat tail. What happened is they proved to themselves that people care more for brand than software and they abandoned all the people who actually care about Blackberry. BB10 fans have always seemed to be stuck waiting for the device they want. I have soo many friends and co-workers that eventually switched to iOS or android after years of waiting for a proper successor to the Z10. Some are still holding out even. Passport owners like myself LOVE our devices but want upgrades for a next device. Z30 owners I bet would love a proper res display, octacore CPU/GPU and BB10.3.3+. There are millions of hold outs and defectors willing to return to the right device.
    togarika and krazyatom like this.
    09-29-16 11:29 AM
    I think LeEco should license BlackBerry. Those specs with a BlackBerry logo would do great.
    09-29-16 11:58 AM
    I still think Android has nothing to do with any of it. BB10 could have easily sold in the millions if marketed and supported correctly. With sales would come apps and an app ecosystem. Devs are very money motivated so if there is potential for substantial profit they will come. The move to Android was a sign that management is just shooting in the dark, hoping they can catch a ride on a more successful company's coat tail. What happened is they proved to themselves that people care more for brand than software and they abandoned all the people who actually care about Blackberry. BB10 fans have always seemed to be stuck waiting for the device they want. I have soo many friends and co-workers that eventually switched to iOS or android after years of waiting for a proper successor to the Z10. Some are still holding out even. Passport owners like myself LOVE our devices but want upgrades for a next device. Z30 owners I bet would love a proper res display, octacore CPU/GPU and BB10.3.3+. There are millions of hold outs and defectors willing to return to the right device.
    You are so wrong. There are not millions waiting for a new BB10 device and even if there were , BlackBerry could not make a profit from their sale
    JeepBB, TgeekB and Sairos like this.
    09-29-16 04:19 PM
    You are so wrong. There are not millions waiting for a new BB10 device and even if there were , BlackBerry could not make a profit from their sale
    He's still living the revisionist history... two ecosystems were already firmly established by 2013. BlackBerry 10 launched without an ecosystem because developers were not interested. Once word got out, the sales never came. Well, the sales initially DID come, but the influx of returned Z10's quickly followed once customers saw that it really WAS "easier to tell what BlackBerry 10 can't do"

But you know this already. Others still believe there's blood in that turnip.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    DrBoomBotz, TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    09-29-16 04:41 PM
    He's still living the revisionist history... two ecosystems were already firmly established by 2013. BlackBerry 10 launched without an ecosystem because developers were not interested. Once word got out, the sales never came. Well, the sales initially DID come, but the influx of returned Z10's quickly followed once customers saw that it really WAS "easier to tell what BlackBerry 10 can't do"

But you know this already. Others still believe there's blood in that turnip.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    So true. Most still don't get the chicken and the egg problem. People are not going to buy phones without apps. Developers are not going to invest money in OSs that don't have users. The only time BlackBerry could have built up an app eco system was in 2012 before BB10 was released. They hyped it big in developer circles, held developer conferences and even offered to pay developers to create apps. The problem was the whole program was managed very poorly. Too much BlackBerry hubris, not enough personal time spent with key developers. After the failed launch of BB10, the game was over, no big developer was going to port their apps to BB10.
    JeepBB and krazyatom like this.
    09-29-16 05:16 PM
    I couldn't disagree more. They were too late to the game and no amount of advertising was going to help.
    krazyatom likes this.
    09-29-16 05:37 PM
    LeEco probably made $10 total on that sale tho.
    Yes. LeEco according to Wiki is one of the largest online video companies in China. Plenty of sauce to fund ventures. So these phones are likely a gateway drug.
    09-29-16 05:43 PM
    If being a large company with plenty of sauce is the way to make money on phones. Then HP, Microsoft and every company who has money can win in the smartphones market. Plenty of companies with large resources and a huge presence in the Tech market failed miserably in phones.
    09-30-16 10:33 AM
    I totally agree. The sales might have been miniscule but they had sales. If they didn't hit the panic button so soon and released the next gen z and Q line people would have upgraded. I have had 3 bb10 phones I am now using a z30. Love it. Have been waiting for the upgrade to it. I don't want to move to Android or ios. I got my sister hooked on bb10. She wants to upgrade but loves her z30. And wants an new one. But she is getting frustrated with the app situation. But stays cause she loves the os.
    They seemed to want to distance the
    They should have started off small with bb10. But instead they they sold the farm when they should have been cautious. Apple does it they make a small amount of phones so they can say they were sold out and then they get a ready of how much demand. Apples market share is shrinking. And they know this.

#luvmybb10os
    09-30-16 12:42 PM
    I think with the low sales of the DTEK50 it's increasingly clear that the BlackBerry brand in mobile on the consumer front is possibly irrevocably damaged. They may as well slap a swastika on the back. I'm only half joking...
    09-30-16 12:51 PM