Alright lets say I have a Blackberry with unlimited texting from Verizon, and I send it to another person who has Verizon but DOES NOT have a blackberry, will my SMS Message be sent as multiple messages if its over 160 letters?
    11-01-10 06:17 PM
    Blackberries are also limited to the 160 characters. This is a limit of SMS, not the phone. There are apps that will let you create longer messages but when they are sent, they will be broken down into multiple messages if they exceed 160.
    11-01-10 06:31 PM
    Blackberries are also limited to the 160 characters. This is a limit of SMS, not the phone. There are apps that will let you create longer messages but when they are sent, they will be broken down into multiple messages if they exceed 160.
    Yeah that's exactly my concern(it being broken down into multiple messages when over 160) is there anyway to not have it done like that, because right know when I text, even when I send a message over 160, it just gets sent as 1 message(non BB phone)

ALSO, will I receive multiple messages to if they are over 160 words?
    11-01-10 06:34 PM
    The SMS system is limited to 160 characters regardless of phone, carrier, or text plan. Phones will break them up into multiple parts when sending and the recipients phone may or may not be able to reassemble the pieces back into 1 message. If the message is broken into 3 parts, then it will count as 3 message for the sender and receiver.
    11-01-10 06:56 PM
    The SMS system is limited to 160 characters regardless of phone, carrier, or text plan. Phones will break them up into multiple parts when sending and the recipients phone may or may not be able to reassemble the pieces back into 1 message. If the message is broken into 3 parts, then it will count as 3 message for the sender and receiver.
    Oh alright. But lets say im trying to send an SMS that's over 160 letters, will it stop me from sending the rest or will the person just not get the excess over 160...
    11-01-10 07:01 PM
    It will stop you and you will have to create a new message with the rest.
    11-01-10 08:35 PM
    It will stop you and you will have to create a new message with the rest.
    I see. How come on other Verizon phones, you can send texts over 160 words just as one whole message? Also, people who have blackberries state that they can just send the SMS as one whole message to me and I get it as multiple messages?
    11-01-10 08:37 PM
    I see. How come on other Verizon phones, you can send texts over 160 words just as one whole message? Also, people who have blackberries state that they can just send the SMS as one whole message to me and I get it as multiple messages?
    From my post above.
    There are apps for the BB that will let you create messages with more than 160 characters but they will be split up when they are sent.
    11-01-10 08:46 PM
    Two ways to bypass this limit--
    1. You can send the text as an MMS instead (not sure how this would affect the recipient though in terms of charges on their end, if they accept MMS, etc).
    2. Like pbflash said, there are apps which don't have a limit. I like CrunchSMS.

Hope this helps...
    11-01-10 08:48 PM
    From my post above.

There are apps for the BB that will let you create messages with more than 160 characters but they will be split up when they are sent.
    Alright thanks PBFlash! Unfortunately, I don't like the threaded view when texting so I guess I'm just ganna have to send multiple text messages.
    11-01-10 08:54 PM
    Wow its as if your question hasn't been answered thouroughly enough. Why does it even matter if its sent as a multiple text anyway? You have unlimited text. And to answer your question for the millionth time now, the 160 character limit is an SMS limit and is not determined by which phone you have, its dependent on the service provided. Even if you wanted to create a text with more than 160 words, the service will break the 1 message into 2, 3, 4 texts depending on how much you type. Even if you see it as 1 large message, it will still be sent as multiple texts, clear?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 08:55 PM
    OH, also I have 1 more question. Lets say someone from my carrier sends a SMS longer than 160 characters(since the other Verizon phones can send way more than 160 characters) will I not receive the rest of the message or will it be sent to me as multiples?
    11-01-10 08:55 PM
    OH, also I have 1 more question. Lets say someone from my carrier sends a SMS longer than 160 characters(since the other Verizon phones can send way more than 160 characters) will I not receive the rest of the message or will it be sent to me as multiples?
    Once again, the system processes any texts over 160 characters as 2 text and you will receive both texts, and that's not really dependent on the carrier either... All carriers have 160 limit

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 08:57 PM
    Alright thanks PBFlash! Unfortunately, I don't like the threaded view when texting so I guess I'm just ganna have to send multiple text messages.
    1. You can send the text as an MMS instead (not sure how this would affect the recipient though in terms of charges on their end, if they accept MMS, etc).
    MMS is not threaded, and is unlimited (or a very high limit of) characters. You won't have to send the first text, then open a new text and start again. You can just keeping going with your thoughts.
    11-01-10 09:16 PM
    Here's the deal.

1. CDMA carriers do not support Extended SMS on BlackBerry.
    2. GSM carriers DO support Extended SMS on BlackBerry.
    3. CDMA carriers support Extended SMS on other devices.

It's just the way that it is currently.
    11-02-10 05:53 AM
    MMS is not threaded, and is unlimited (or a very high limit of) characters. You won't have to send the first text, then open a new text and start again. You can just keeping going with your thoughts.
    MMS is not unlimited.

The limit is 1000 characters.
    11-02-10 05:54 AM
    You will receive it as multiple messages.
    11-02-10 05:55 AM
    MMS is not unlimited.

The limit is 1000 characters.
    As usual, MotorCycleMama knows her stuff... thanks for the info
    11-02-10 02:04 PM
    Thank you to EVERYONE who participated in this thread! Especially motorcycle mama! Appreciate it.
    11-02-10 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD