Will smartwatches help tablets replace smartphones? - Liliputing

I ordered the Pebble but unfortunately it is not yet supporting blackberry. Do you think the android player in Playbook would be able to support it? or may be later BB10. Ideally my BB 9790 should also be able to connect to it.

Smart watches will be, I believe, the next big thing. Does anybody know whether RIM is working on smart watches?? If they are early on this bandwagon, they can again take the lead. You have a BBwatch and use the playbook to see the messages in large format.
    08-23-12 06:46 AM
    Nothing new under the sun.....

First Images: BlackBerry Watch is FOR REAL! | CrackBerry.com

From what I recall a few were made and sold, but never caught on. Maybe with some technology updates it will.
    08-23-12 07:31 AM
    Nothing new under the sun.....

First Images: BlackBerry Watch is FOR REAL! | CrackBerry.com

From what I recall a few were made and sold, but never caught on. Maybe with some technology updates it will.
    This watch is from the makers of pebble, they started with blackberry and left us....I have 2 of the original watches, bit the became buggy and I just stopped using them. I'd probably be willing to sell both of them, I'm sure they improved after I put them back in the box.
    08-23-12 08:52 AM
    The watches never worked right, and were at best a conversation piece only. I still have my original beta device from years ago.
    08-23-12 08:53 AM
    Yes I read about the dissapointing performance of the impulse. But apparently there is new generation of smartwathces coming to the market. So hopefully they will develop also an app for Playbook / BB10.
    08-23-12 09:05 AM
    Hopefully for BB10 and I hope it's "built for blackberry" branded.
    08-23-12 09:11 AM
    I very much wanted a Smart watch, if it acted like the small screen of the BlackBerry Style 9670 I would have been all over getting one
    I had reached out to inPulse with an email and some contacts to get in with a Big Box store purchaser, They never followed up with me, nor any of the contacts I gave them, which was sad.
    08-23-12 12:15 PM
    I totally agree, very dissapointing
    08-24-12 04:07 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out why I'd want one. I stopped wearing a wristwatch in 2005, when I realized that my little Nokia kept time more accurately. And then I found that I no longer had to fear damaging an expensive piece of jewelry by knocking it on a car door or similar. So why would I want to take a step back?
    08-26-12 05:05 PM
    I'm still trying to figure out why I'd want one. I stopped wearing a wristwatch in 2005, when I realized that my little Nokia kept time more accurately. And then I found that I no longer had to fear damaging an expensive piece of jewelry by knocking it on a car door or similar. So why would I want to take a step back?

a watch still goes well with a suit
    08-26-12 05:21 PM
    So that when you "Suit Up!" You look Legen-----Dary! (Barney reference, anyone?)
    But seriously, if you invest in a high quality watch you are not likely going to have the time slipping issue.
    As far as being useful, you're going to have to decide that for yourself. Look at what watches your eye goes to when browsing and question if you like it because it's "pretty" or if you like it because of the options it offers.

I myself am a watch man and I have practical and masculine tastes. Currently I'm wearing an Invicta Proffessional Flight watch. It offers a stopwatch at one push and it has gmt as well as local time. Having that at a glance is better for me than pulling out my phone, unlocking it and going through the menus to the stopwatch or the clock. It's all about what you use commonly and what you want in an accessory.
    (And yes I personally consider mobile phones to be accessories now)

As far as smartwatches go, I'll probably wait till they make them sturdy enough for me. Love the idea of them though.
    Last edited by Mpantherz13; 08-26-12 at 05:45 PM.
    08-26-12 05:42 PM
    It is still too futuristic for me, I guess... Tablet could replace smartphones for the slab-phones users only, IMO, and it's'not my case.
    08-26-12 05:56 PM
    a watch still goes well with a suit
    Agree, But not this POS Pebble.
    08-26-12 07:21 PM
    I really wanted the inpulse then I read how easily it gets damaged. Just the humidity in this florida weather would ruin it.
    08-26-12 08:07 PM
    Well Samsung, Apple and Google are planning, developing smart watches. So apparently they see a market developing as well.
    Please Blackberry do you best. Contact Pebble and help develop a BB 7.1 app and BB10 / Playbook.
    or develop your own smart watch, but I guess resources are stretched at the moment
    03-27-13 10:17 AM
    I think it's a waste of effort for any non-Apple company to invest too much into smartwatches at the moment. The Apple watch is practically guaranteed to set the benchmark (like iPods, iPhones, Macbook Airs, etc.) as well as jumpstart the market and we don't even know what features an Apple watch would include yet! (For example, does the watch make calls?)

This could really blow up in everyone's faces if it ends up like Apple's smart TV (or the iPhone mini) and never materializes. Companies will be investing money in a product that doesn't sell.
    03-27-13 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD