What do you think? Ryan seacrest is gonna find ways to bypass the patents. Its also a great way to get people to transition back to BlackBerry. But at the sametime bbpeople would want to get the iphone now because it has a keyboard. What you think?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 04:51 AM
    It would be, if the Torch never existed.

But it did, so it's probably a remake of that instead of some scheme to take down Ryan Seacrest.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 05:05 AM
    The keyboard hasn't even seen that big of an adoption rate in relation to how many iPhone users are there.
    I think the slider is a way of saving costs on advertising.
    Instead of making 2 devices make.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 05:13 AM
    Even if typo was available, the touch captive keyboard of the slider would kick any other keyboards ****.

Z10
    05-23-15 05:28 AM
    Even if typo was available, the touch captive keyboard of the slider would kick any other keyboards ****.

Z10
    A touch keyboard is not confirmed yet as far as I know.
    You know it's gonna be hella expensive if it's a slider mechanism with a 2K double curved edge screen and a touch keyboard!
    That would be like a 1000$ on launch...

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 05:41 AM
    It's better not cost a thousand dollars

Sent via the best phone ever the passport
    connorsayshi likes this.
    05-23-15 07:02 AM
    The typo keyboard was a response to Apple not having a keyboard.....of any kind......like a BlackBerry.

So ANY BlackBerry with a keyboard (including a slider) is not the "response" to the Typo keyboard....it's the reason Typo came up with it to begin with.

Otherwise your logic suggests the Classic and the Passport were also responses to the Typo, as well as any other keyboard BlackBerry in the future.
    05-23-15 07:11 AM
    You know it's gonna be hella expensive if it's a slider mechanism with a 2K double curved edge screen and a touch keyboard!

Posted via CB10
    How could you not have a touch keyboard on your newest flagship device, if it doesn't it's not worth building. The new 10.3.2 software supposedly enables any passport keyboard to be used as if it is a touch screen, ie pinch to zoom, swipe to the hub etc.

Enough said

Z10
    05-23-15 07:21 AM
    The typo is irrelevant. The slider is an answer to maximizing screen size and providing a good typing experience.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-23-15 08:15 AM
    The typo is irrelevant. The slider is an answer to maximizing screen size and providing a good typing experience.

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully without making the device less reliable, less structurally sound, or just plain too thick.

Posted via Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-23-15 08:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    I paid almost a grand for my Z30 on launch and it was worth every penny! Oops I mean dollar since pennies no longer exist

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 08:59 AM
    The lawsuit they won was the response to the Typo keyboard.
    3_M4N and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-23-15 11:12 AM

Z10
    I agree but if BlackBerry doesnt advertise, then people still see the typo as the best keyboard alternative.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 11:25 AM
    I would buy a slider if one came on the market just because I like the physical keyboard along with a larger screen say same size as a Z30. My Z10 works fine for me screen size, looked at the classic but smaller screen to view movies on. I only view movies when flying on some of the smaller planes that don't have entertainment systems . But those flights can last up to 4 hours.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 11:32 AM
    The irony of a thread suggesting BlackBerry answering Apple re: a physical keyboard is delicious. It's like...rain on your wedding day.

But at least now I know what Ryan Seacrest is doing since his show got cancelled about 10 years after jumping the shark.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 01:22 PM
    The phone looks verry thin . Can wait to find more news. Hope to have hardware touch keyboard and touch screen keyboard .just for fun.
    05-23-15 02:06 PM
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Typo gets affected by double-typing?

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-23-15 02:21 PM
    What do you think? Ryan seacrest is gonna find ways to bypass the patents. Its also a great way to get people to transition back to BlackBerry. But at the sametime bbpeople would want to get the iphone now because it has a keyboard. What you think?

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you it is one of the way to get people back to BlackBerry!! Typo 2 with its current features again i feel will not be able to escape the patents violation. Last time typo ended up paying about USD 900000.
    Typo 2 will not be able to make much impact on Slider as it is a sort of external hard drive and has poor visual appeal as compared to the Torch or even the slider as and when it is launched. One thing is sure various market research done by competition still acknowledge that PKB of BBRY still has the appeal and market potential.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    05-23-15 04:02 PM
    I agree with you it is one of the way to get people back to BlackBerry!! Typo 2 with its current features again i feel will not be able to escape the patents violation. Last time typo ended up paying about USD 900000.
    Typo 2 will not be able to make much impact on Slider as it is a sort of external hard drive and has poor visual appeal as compared to the Torch or even the slider as and when it is launched. One thing is sure various market research done by competition still acknowledge that PKB of BBRY still has the appeal and market potential.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    No competitor is making a PKB phone. Typo isn't a BlackBerry competitor, they are an iPhone accessory sales outfit. If there were a huge demand for PKB phones, then someone else would be making them, or someone would have bought BlackBerry for the patents and started churning out PKB devices with tied to a platform with an ecosystem. The thing is that market isn't there enough to justify the purchase. Look at the PKB device sales even with BB10. Look at BlackBerry this weekend announcing cuts predominantly in the hardware division. It all points to PKB not even being able to sustain BlackBerry since that is where their hardware focus has been since Chen took over and killed off every non PKB project minus the joke that is the Z10.1, I mean Leap. How is that strategy working for them now?

Posted via Z30
    MarsupilamiX and IndianTiwari like this.
    05-23-15 04:13 PM
    It all points to PKB not even being able to sustain BlackBerry since that is where their hardware focus has been since Chen took over and killed off every non PKB project minus the joke that is the Z10.1, I mean Leap. How is that strategy working for them now?

Posted via Z30
    Not exactly. People make this flawed argument all the time. Basically saying that because of lack of sales of X that means people don't like Y. When the reality is that people don't like X because it doesn't have Z and not necessarily because there has been a wholesale rejection of Y as indicated by low sales of X. Confused yet?

The Basics: people may not be buying X (BlackBerry) for a handful of reasons, but in my opinion it's basically because of (misguided) opinions that BlackBerry:
    - Has no apps (which is partially true)
    - is the old BlackBerry's that don't run anything like the "revolutionary" iPhones, etc (which is completely untrue, but marketing rules the world)
    - Is not making phones anymore, or is about to go out of business, be aquired by Burger King, etc. etc (also untrue).

These are all part of Z.

None of these reasons directly indicate that people who choose not to buy BlackBerry:
    A: reject PKBs (Y) altogether
    B: don't ever get frustrated with touch keyboards
    C: used to have a BlackBerry or still do (like Ryan Seacrest, Typo, et al) and still miss the keyboard functionality
    C: wouldn't at least try a PKB or even go back to one if they could be past the 3 things I listed above that are more likely the reason for their rejection of BB.

The false conclusion is that because people simply aren't buying BlackBerry very much, then...........gosh.......geez.........it must be because people collectively got together and.......as a group......rejected keyboards, and that's pretty much the only reason why BlackBerry doesn't sell........even though BlackBerry makes non-keyboard phones that sell just as poorly (or worse) than their Keyboard phones.
    3_M4N likes this.
    05-24-15 08:02 AM
    The false conclusion is that because people simply aren't buying BlackBerry very much, then...........gosh.......geez.........it must be because people collectively got together and.......as a group......rejected keyboards, and that's pretty much the only reason why BlackBerry doesn't sell........even though BlackBerry makes non-keyboard phones that sell just as poorly (or worse) than their Keyboard phones.
    Gosh... Geez... False conclusion.... what form factor has sold better even in Bb10? PKB? There is a rapidly shrinking market for PKB phones, but again if there were this huge, untapped potential that only the name BlackBerry was holding back, then someone would have bought them. They would have sold much more of an all touch Passport than they did Passport and would have sold a lot more slabs in general if they had one better than a Z30 available to purchase right now. The evidence is all there, just because people refuse to accept it because it goes against the BlackBerry must have PKB doctrine and against Chairman Chen's unsubstantiated statements. But we'll find out at the call.

Posted via Z30
    05-24-15 09:33 AM
    If there were a huge demand for PKB phones, then someone else would be making them, or someone would have bought BlackBerry for the patents and started churning out PKB devices with tied to a platform with an ecosystem. The thing is that market isn't there enough to justify the purchase.
    Other manufacturers wouldn't have to actually buy BBRY to get the patents. They could simply license the patents from BBRY. With the exception of Motorola who is exempt from BB's keyboard patent. Motorola made an attempt or two at PKB Android devices, and they simply didn't sell well at all (and one of them was actually a decent phone). And IIRC, Samsung took a couple stabs at PKB phones, but those didn't have noteworthy sales compared to their touch devices either. Neither company has tried again in over 3 or 4 years (maybe longer, it's been long enough that I don't recall specific years/dates).
    05-24-15 09:48 AM
    Gosh... Geez... False conclusion....
    I didn't draw any conclusions. That's the whole point.

what form factor has sold better even in Bb10? PKB?
    I give up. Which one?

There is a rapidly shrinking market for PKB phones,
    Based on what? Based on the fact that people aren't buying BlackBerry's as much? Please review the logic tree again.

but again if there were this huge, untapped potential that only the name BlackBerry was holding back, then someone would have bought them.
    Change subjects much? Who said anything about a "huge untapped potential"? And why do you need to buy BlackBerry to to make a PKB phone? (answer: you don't)

They would have sold much more of an all touch Passport than they did Passport and would have sold a lot more slabs in general if they had one better than a Z30 available to purchase right now.
    Based on what? A guess?

The evidence is all there
    Where? You haven't presented any evidence other than the Z in the X-Y-Z scenario I pointed out above.

just because people refuse to accept it because it goes against the BlackBerry must have PKB doctrine and against Chairman Chen's unsubstantiated statements.
    Uh, what? I guess I answered my own question; you do change subjects much.
    05-24-15 10:21 AM
    Other manufacturers wouldn't have to actually buy BBRY to get the patents. They could simply license the patents from BBRY. With the exception of Motorola who is exempt from BB's keyboard patent. Motorola made an attempt or two at PKB Android devices, and they simply didn't sell well at all (and one of them was actually a decent phone). And IIRC, Samsung took a couple stabs at PKB phones, but those didn't have noteworthy sales compared to their touch devices either. Neither company has tried again in over 3 or 4 years (maybe longer, it's been long enough that I don't recall specific years/dates).
    While neither of those companies sold decent amounts of PKB phones, it doesn't necessarily mean that people don't like PKB phones, it could simply mean the phones didn't do the job as well as a BlackBerry did and that the people interested in a PKB simply stuck with BB instead. The problem with the various "evidence" and "conclusions" is that they come with a long list of assumptions. I'm not trying to suggest that people overall prefer keyboards at this moment, I'm simply saying that the keyboard was part of a package deal and that the decline of the package doesn't mean that people reject all parts of the package equally.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    05-24-15 10:29 AM
    OK. All these other manufacturers are leaving money on the table. Actual data, even though there is irrelevant, because you made some hypothetical equation/scenario that you think invalidates said data.

Posted via Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-24-15 12:52 PM
39 12