I have a BB 9630 Tour. Heaven for bid, if I were to buy an Android based phone such as a Galaxy S2 from Bell, would I be able to take the SIM card out of my Tour, slide it in the Galaxy S2 and have full function of the S2?

My only reason for wanting to do this is so that I wouldn't have to change rate plans as Bell says "I have to do".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 04:22 PM
    Are you using the SIM card on Bell? Or are you using the CMDA side of the device?
    08-18-11 04:29 PM
    It's on CDMA (1XEV) and has a SIM card in the back of it. I'm not up on my tech stuff like I should be.

08-18-11 04:35 PM
    The SIM card in your Tour is doing absolutely NOTHING. You can take it out and your Tour will function normal (many people say it will function better because the phone isn't searching for a GSM signal).

Bell is correct, you need a new plan because to use the Galaxy you need to be on Bell's new HSPA+ network, which uses a SIM card. The CDMA side of Bell (their old network) is what your Tour is operating on. Your Tour is incompatible with Bell's new HSPA+ network.

So your plan must be upgraded if you want a new phone on their new network.
    08-18-11 04:35 PM
    The SIM card in your Tour is doing absolutely NOTHING. You can take it out and your Tour will function normal (many people say it will function better because the phone isn't searching for a GSM signal).

Bell is correct, you need a new plan because to use the Galaxy you need to be on Bell's new HSPA+ network, which uses a SIM card. The CDMA side of Bell (their old network) is what your Tour is operating on. Your Tour is incompatible with Bell's new HSPA+ network.

So your plan must be upgraded if you want a new phone on their new network.
    I knew this was where you guys were going. :P

They tell me at the store if I upgrade to say a new 9680, that I can keep my current plan. So to me that says, I'd be on their HSPA+ network with a SIM card (that actually does something) and still with my unlimited data plan.

08-18-11 04:43 PM
    if you use the CDMA network the sim card is not used at all.
    08-19-11 02:26 PM
    Thanks everyone.

08-19-11 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD