They've been very hush hush about the slider and android. I think this is turning a lot of people away from BlackBerry and causing app developers to turn away as well. Are they running Android? Are they giving up on BB10? Some answers need to be said.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 04:58 PM
    it would be stupid to come out and say "yeah we will have android on the slider" even if it is true. Its a tight spot since silence pretty much confirms something is happening and its not bb10 as we know it if its bb10 based.
    08-10-15 05:06 PM
    They need to announce something but not for the reasons you mentioned. People have already turned away from Blackberry and app developers have never been on board. They need to announce something to possibly get people to turn back to Blackberry. If its an Android phone then they don't need to worry about developers as they'll already have them.
    08-10-15 08:22 PM
    it would be stupid to come out and say "yeah we will have android on the slider" even if it is true. Its a tight spot since silence pretty much confirms something is happening and its not bb10 as we know it if its bb10 based.
    The trouble is the silence regarding any BB10 development. Complain about Heins as much as you want, but under his hands there were roadmaps, updated developer SDKs, announcements and previews regarding BB10 development. You could feel BlackBerry was committed to further improve and develop BlackBerry 10. Today everything seems the other way around. No announcements, I've read complains regarding lack of further SDKs, Chen doesn't even ever mention anything regarding BB10 development at all.

For all it is worth, BB10 looks to be the unwanted child. Chen hates it, yet he can't easily get rid of it. Even if it is just for the sake to not disappoint the few enterprise customers who actually trusted BlackBerry and made the BB10 switch. So he can't simply kill it in the short term.
    Also he still holds on to the hardware a bit and hardware needs an operating system, even if he wants to use Android, he is forced to alter it, giving it the "BlackBerry level" of security. You can't just release a BlackBerry branded phone running near stock Android when you keep saying BB10 is the most secure plattform out there at the same time.

Personally I am pretty sure we won't see any real further improvements to BB10. I guess the development has been reduced to some bug fixing, maybe changing a thing or two. But adding new features, drastically changing or improving the way the system works won't happen anymore. I mean we don't even seem to get larger steps on version numbers. We are down to 0.0.1 steps for new releases. We at least got used to 0.1.x steps....

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 07:09 AM
    I agree they should just announce already.

They may want to give the Passport SE a few weeks to sell through a bit first.

Or, more likely, is that there are still some deal-breaking technical hurdles to overcome and they are not able to commit to a firm path yet.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-11-15 07:22 AM