You are trying to justify selling of BBM by trashing BBMC. There is. Much more to bbm than just BBMC.
    It's not my intention to trash Channels, rather to question why the initial growth has stalled. And absolutely, BBM has all sorts of usefulness with the exception of no Video and Screen Share on BBMx
    09-21-14 10:56 PM
    Bbm channels always seems misguided to me. I could never figure out what role it was supposed to be filling. They should be focusing on bring video chat to all platforms. Dump bbm channels as a failed experiment.

Posted via CB10
    So people in this thread mentioned they have a channel with 100k followers and you say this is a failure?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 11:02 PM
    I really enjoy Channels. I've noticed some fall off as far as posting by some channels, but others are very active. There is definitely room for improvement though and I hope they build it out even more. I hope they are also working hard on bringing BBM Video cross-platform.

BBM falls into services, and even though it is mainly on the consumer side, remember that BB is building out the eBBM suite, and it is part of their monetization plan. We all want BBM to grow better and faster, but it does take some time. I think it has more upside to it that will make it more valuable in the future than trying to cash out now.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-21-14 11:09 PM
    It would be a dumb idea to sell BBM. It will be contributing to giving blackberry much needed revenue growth. It is a crucial part of their enterprise selling point. I don't see why people still think blackberry is trying to appease the everyday consumers. It's not, Chen has stated this. He's focusing on enterprise and BBM is key to that. As a shareholder I would see this as a horrible and very regretful idea.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 11:27 PM
    Instead of selling it they could close channels. Seemed like a bad idea to me to start with.
    09-21-14 11:30 PM
    100k followers really isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Not only is it not a lot but brands go a long way in helping you grow your business or in this case channels. Even tho people here prob don't care for the Justin beibers or Kim kardashians of the world them having and using channels regularly increases its value because those type of brands bring in the regular consumers. Without them its just a forum like this where it's just a certain demographic. Maybe that's all BB wants it to be but if it wants to make money and grow brands are important. A better number would be number of active users which would be hard to determine.

In any case I haven't heard any updated numbers outside of the 10 mil figure reported when it first launched which doesn't bode well for BB especially when twitter currently has 271 mil monthly active users and about 500 mil tweets a day. So yeah 100,000 is not a lot at all.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-21-14 11:33 PM
    Things aren't sold they are bought. I don't think BlackBerry can make a deal like WhatsApp Facebook for 19 billion BBM is one of the only things off high value. They should not sell at this time. If big tech companies sold each and every time someone had a problem with their product it would be impossible to build anything.
    09-21-14 11:36 PM
    BBM must be getting some traction if it is the target of an ifan attack

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-21-14 11:45 PM
    How can you separate BBM from BBRY as Blend will be blending it for a better desktop experience, e-BBM will be taking it to corporate messaging and BBM Money will take money matters on x-platform level?

Talking about Channels, it is really what you choose though. My channels are fairly engaging.

But on account of what channels can do against what they are doing now is limited though, thanks to BlackBerry's limited marketing (not advertising).

Take the example of Kevin's group chat initiative! Bla1ze can enlighten us on that?
    09-21-14 11:46 PM
    BBM forever BlackBerry!.

From my ? phone.
    09-22-14 02:06 AM
    I feel BBM will be part of the enterprise business for BlackBerry. They wont be worrying much about the average user. Either you like BBM or you don't.
    09-22-14 05:15 AM
    Sell? No!

I love channels, it's the first thing I check in the morning (after emails). Some went inactive, but new keep coming every day. A normal cycle
    09-22-14 05:32 AM
    BBM has lot of competitors. (on paper at least)
    09-22-14 06:04 AM
    BBM Is a messaging tool plus,plus, plus. It is highly secure and service rich. And it has little extras like channels. Where are all those things like video and universal voice that we were supposed to get from Whatsapp by May 2014. That's right, they are nowhere to be seen. Blown deadline after blown deadline, I doubt they are even working on it.

BBM is turning into the premier messaging plus platform out there. The power, breath, security, services and innovation is arguably the best. And it makes money without raping you of your privacy. Wow, imagine that, one can actually use a messaging app without needing a shower afterwards.

I have all my family using BBM And have recently converted two work colleagues from Whatsapp. Channels is a nice little extra but it isn't a core utility feature. Such is life.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-22-14 07:05 AM
    the plus plus plus part of it is what is great about it. My GF i convincing all her friends to DL it just for the ability to call them over BBM voice cause she is in the states. its the little things that make it stand out.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-22-14 07:27 AM
    BlackBerry is waiting to launch blend as a last kick of the can for BBM. This will either make it or break BBM I am sure. Messaging,video chatting, and BBM money from a secure desktop platform to mobile and vice versa should get the interest back into BBM.

Fingers crossed...

Posted via CB10
    too bad msot of what you said isn't available on all platforms/countries. Video needs to be on every platform. BBM money needs to be in every country.

Tons of bug fixes are needed and the app update frequency is terrible compared to any other IM client.

I'm sure BBM has one of the biggest employee count out of any IM but still they tend to slack just like BlackBerry as a company which is why they are in this mess in the first place.

they will struggle to get 150million + users if they continue like they are now. Constant updates for bug fixes and features is what gets more people on the client. If people don't see it improving then they move to another IM client.
    09-22-14 08:02 AM
    I have three contacts added from cross platform this week and well over 150 contacts in total, of which over 70 percent are cross platform. Nobody said this was going to be an easy grind back to the glory days.

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-22-14 08:07 AM
    I am not sure what channel you are sub-ing too- but I love BBM channels. I check on them everyday. I love the GIF, quotes, Beauitful Pics... And the list goes on. I hope BB do not give up on this- way too much potential
    09-22-14 08:22 AM
    Geez, isn't this the General Discussion forum? The OP was just presenting an idea about his thoughts on BBM. I don't see why he's being trashed so harshly by some of you. If BB came out and said today that they were selling off BBM you guys trashing him would all say "Oh yeah that's the right move, way to go." It just his thoughts and I didn't see anywhere where he was trashing BB. I think its a good discussion topic and some of you who immediately jumped down his throat need to take a breath and relax.
    Last edited by donnation; 09-22-14 at 09:13 AM.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    09-22-14 08:25 AM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    09-22-14 08:56 AM
    Instead of selling it they could close channels. Seemed like a bad idea to me to start with.
    Um yeah no

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    09-22-14 09:09 AM
    I've made many friends through channels I would not have made otherwise.

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    09-22-14 09:10 AM
    The same way Whatsapp, Viber, and Line does. You are trying to justify selling of BBM by trashing BBMC. There is. Much more to bbm than just BBMC. Channels is simply a bonus that Viber WApp, and Line DOESN'T have.

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    I'm sorry, but LINE does.

Honestly, channels feel outdated, it sucks to know it still has the same features since it launched and doesn't seem to be getting improved. Worst part is that the feature for some reason seems buried in the BBM app.

I'd prefer the BBM team stops collecting new sticker packs and move their **** into fixing all the damn network problems and start adding the video call feature cross-platform asap. LINE has been taking consumers from WhatsApp slowly and BBM cannot even drive away people from crappy (imo) IM apps like WeChat or Tango lol

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 09:30 AM
    With the new Hootsuite BBM Channels app, it will allow much easier channel management for social media managers.

I'm surprised that some corporations stayed on channels this long without a proper management software.

It should get better now that managers will be able to support it with Hootsuite.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 09:49 AM
    If you think its dying why do you think it would be worth something? There is some money in BBM (stickers) already, I don't get it personally but if they can make any money there, good for them. They have also had a NFC pay apps for CIBC for well over a year, but its only local (BB Missed a huge opportunity there) when their devices have had the hard ware for almost 4 years (stops to scratch head) but have yet to implement it. I am hoping because of security concerns but never been addressed. the tag line for BBM money when I heard it first was "send money to our friends" that also seems like a small target audience, and once again only in a small location. #greatideabadimplementation
    09-22-14 09:55 AM
83 1234