I got an iPhone 5C from work and decided to install BBM after uninstalling it on Android a few months ago (because of battery drain and less contacts use it regularly). Anyhow, after installing it this week, I had a disturbing find. Some popular BBM channels have been abandoned. One of the most popular has had no new posts since June. What started out with so much promise is now sputtering along. It's like a tumbleweed is rolling through that community.

So, why should BlackBerry sell BBM? A couple reasons. It's apparent they do not have enough resources to grow the community (both channels and user base). Almost one year later, we're still waiting on BBM Video for Android & iOS. And the Windows Phone 8 reviews are embarassing. BlackBerry is doing a disservice by not putting forth the proper effort into the world's pioneer messaging app.

Secondly, although BBM is not monetized, it will be slowly with BBM Money. Apple Pay will be the standard by which all other mobile payment systems will be measured, but BBM Money still has great potential. A buyer will see that, take the ball and run with it.

Not sure what BlackBerry is waiting for if they are indeed willing to sell it. The longer they wait, the more it's neglected, the less users and channels...all which ultimately lead to less value. The time is now. The question is...which company would be the best suitor for BBM?
    09-21-14 08:04 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't have any control over the channel from what I understand. They can't force anyone to make regular posts, etc. Not sure you can say its been abandoned.
    09-21-14 08:11 PM
    BlackBerry is waiting to launch blend as a last kick of the can for BBM. This will either make it or break BBM I am sure. Messaging,video chatting, and BBM money from a secure desktop platform to mobile and vice versa should get the interest back into BBM.

Fingers crossed...

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-21-14 08:11 PM
    I agree get rid of BBM!

Blackberry seem to not have the resources required to make it what it should be!

Posted via CB10
    anon6113468 likes this.
    09-21-14 08:21 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't have any control over the channel from what I understand. They can't force anyone to make regular posts, etc. Not sure you can say its been abandoned.
    The lack of activity is concerning. Even CrackBerry doesn't update their own BBM channel regularly. The "Featured Channels" page used to have corporate channels. Now it doesn't. It's sad to see.

Seems like ever since Andrew Bocking got the boot it's gone downhill.
    bp22_ca likes this.
    09-21-14 08:24 PM
    This is old argument. BlackBerry already explained the monetization plan.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and notafanboy like this.
    09-21-14 08:30 PM
    This is old argument. BlackBerry already explained the monetization plan.
    Perhaps you could refresh us on the key points, and if you feel they're viable? That would make for a much better contribution to the discussion.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    09-21-14 08:33 PM
    my channel is incredibly active. Ive never been featured by BB and i still have over 10 000 subscribers and 600 000 visits since feb. Im subsribed to over 100 channels, ones that go dormant i delete. Same with Twitter and Facebook. Ask yourself how many of the people on your facebook actually post stuff? probably less than half. People get bored and they move on.
    09-21-14 08:36 PM
    People get bored and they move on.
    That's the thing. Facebook and Twitter are constantly refreshing and making refinements in order to keep users engaged. Channels is almost exactly the same as when it launched. And you never hear of BBM Channels being promoted outside the CrackBerry community. The public should see channel numbers being included on external advertising and things of that nature by now.
    09-21-14 08:51 PM
    Some folks go on assumptions and opinions. Crackberry as well as other sites can help you find places you can get the full scoop on BlackBerry but you have to research an understand the bigger picture. It's not like Microsoft, Google or Apple. That's why they dropped RIM. It's different now. Not saying it's better now but BlackBerry is making moves.

Z10 (STL 100-3) with vitamin 10.2.1.3337
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-21-14 09:05 PM
    I got an iPhone 5C from work and decided to install BBM after uninstalling it on Android a few months ago (because of battery drain and less contacts use it regularly). Anyhow, after installing it this week, I had a disturbing find. Some popular BBM channels have been abandoned. One of the most popular has had no new posts since June. What started out with so much promise is now sputtering along. It's like a tumbleweed is rolling through that community.

So, why should BlackBerry sell BBM? A couple reasons. It's apparent they do not have enough resources to grow the community (both channels and user base). Almost one year later, we're still waiting on BBM Video for Android & iOS. And the Windows Phone 8 reviews are embarassing. BlackBerry is doing a disservice by not putting forth the proper effort into the world's pioneer messaging app.

Secondly, although BBM is not monetized, it will be slowly with BBM Money. Apple Pay will be the standard by which all other mobile payment systems will be measured, but BBM Money still has great potential. A buyer will see that, take the ball and run with it.

Not sure what BlackBerry is waiting for if they are indeed willing to sell it. The longer they wait, the more it's neglected, the less users and channels...all which ultimately lead to less value. The time is now. The question is...which company would be the best suitor for BBM?
    BBM is doing fine and Blackberry is already monetizing it. You should worry about what Cook is brewing next for Apple iPhones. May be you should look at the latest Droid phones, that's what you will get three years from now. Blackberry, on the other hand is in good hands and is being quite innovative.
    09-21-14 09:15 PM
    One of the largest developing countries in the world is addicted to bbm (Indonesia 249 million and growing exponentially) .. as more of these people join the middle class .. bbm will be extremely valuable..

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:18 PM
    That's the thing. Facebook and Twitter are constantly refreshing and making refinements in order to keep users engaged. Channels is almost exactly the same as when it launched. And you never hear of BBM Channels being promoted outside the CrackBerry community. The public should see channel numbers being included on external advertising and things of that nature by now.
    There are channels with 100k+ followers that are constantly growing (ex. Time). Loads that are private run by single people with tens of thousands of followers. Doesn't seem broken to me at all. Could definitely grow but there's no question it will - I agree with someone's comment above about Blend giving a big boost. If Blend has any autonomy as pc software and doesn't rely on briding to a phone the way Bridge did the boost will be even bigger. Looking forward to the 24th.
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-21-14 09:22 PM
    Blackberry, on the other hand is in good hands and is being quite innovative.
    Nobody is questioning BlackBerry's innovation. Heck, Channels was innovative. BlackBerry created a new social network. But like many other great BlackBerry ventures, Channels has lost its lustre. The same argument can be made for BBM cross platform as a whole. Apart from a monetization plan, BlackBerry should either take action to significantly grow the user base or sell BBM while it still brings decent value.
    09-21-14 09:26 PM
    The lack of activity is concerning. Even CrackBerry doesn't update their own BBM channel regularly. The "Featured Channels" page used to have corporate channels. Now it doesn't. It's sad to see.

Seems like ever since Andrew Bocking got the boot it's gone downhill.
    You know why this is? It's because a channel post cannot be shared publicly via a URL, in the same manner than tweets, Facebook posts, instagrams, etc. can to allow anyone, even if they don't have an account, to view them on a browser. Not only would it give channel producers a bigger bang for the buck, but it would also "promote" BBM awareness and growth (when a reader decides they want to engage).

As it stands, channels are a redundant tweet (sure,.. more characters) that can't be disseminated to a wider audience than the few BBM users that know how to even view channels.

Until they allow channel posts to be URL sharable and embedded on blog posts,.. it's a waste for most social media content producers. I mean, I had a channel going at first but since I couldn't even post it on my Facebook,.. then no one saw it, and I gave up.

That being said, they really need to improve the basic BBM functionality on windows and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:31 PM
    And you never hear of BBM Channels being promoted outside the CrackBerry community.
    Hmm, just when we heard about the BBM Channels' integration into HootSuite earlier this week.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:31 PM
    You know why this is? It's because a channel post cannot be shared publicly via a URL, in the same manner than tweets, Facebook posts, instagrams, etc. can to allow anyone, even if they don't have an account, to view them on a browser. Not only does it give channel producers a bigger bang for the buck, but also "promotes" BBM awareness and growth (when a reader decides they want to engage).

As it stands, channels are a redundant tweet (sure,.. more characters) that can't be disseminated to a wider audience than the few BBM users that know how to even view channels.

Until they allow channel posts to be URL sharable and embedded on blog posts,.. it's a waste for most social media content producers. I mean, I had a channel going at first but since I couldn't even post it on my Facebook,.. then no one saw it, and I gave up.

That being said, they really need to improve the basic BBM functionality on windows and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    Good stuff. I like the url sharing idea.
    09-21-14 09:35 PM
    Hmm, just when we heard about the BBM Channels' integration into HootSuite earlier this week.
    True, but that didn't make any press outside the markets, BlackBerry blogs and a couple tech sites. It's a start though.
    09-21-14 09:41 PM
    Bbm channels always seems misguided to me. I could never figure out what role it was supposed to be filling. They should be focusing on bring video chat to all platforms. Dump bbm channels as a failed experiment.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 10:29 PM
    Anybody that says that channels is dead hasn't really looked into Channels. The Corporate side of Channels is weak but the personal channels are booming. Look at the discover page. Many more personal channels that gain thousands of subs every day. OP is also missing the rise of networks on BBMC. They are popping up everywhere. You want active Channels then check out mine......

Channel Battle C00284CDE

The Ugly American C00241560

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    Furell likes this.
    09-21-14 10:33 PM
    But surely they can improve channels. Currently is a pain to add post, you still can't upload multiple images, still can't upload videos, there is no option to even edit a comment. There are so many limitations and its really primitive, that is the reason brands are leaving.
    09-21-14 10:39 PM
    Bbm channels always seems misguided to me. I could never figure out what role it was supposed to be filling. They should be focusing on bring video chat to all platforms. Dump bbm channels as a failed experiment.

Posted via CB10
    Don't.

I like it as a more private social platform. No Google tracking cookies or anything... :-)

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-21-14 10:40 PM
    One of the largest developing countries in the world is addicted to bbm (Indonesia 249 million and growing exponentially) .. as more of these people join the middle class .. bbm will be extremely valuable..

Posted via CB10
    Tapi, most of my BBM friends in Indo are sadly moving to WhatsApp and making it as primary while BBM is secondary. I follow channels everyday, they are interesting. But Channels need huge improvements, it has stalled in a few months.
    09-21-14 10:42 PM
    The Corporate side of Channels is weak but the personal channels are booming. Look at the discover page. Many more personal channels that gain thousands of subs every day.
    Taking yours and the previous reply into consideration, how does it benefit BlackBerry to sustain Channels when that doesn't generate revenue?
    09-21-14 10:43 PM
    Taking yours and the previous reply into consideration, how does it benefit BlackBerry to sustain Channels when that doesn't generate revenue?
    The same way Whatsapp, Viber, and Line does. You are trying to justify selling of BBM by trashing BBMC. There is. Much more to bbm than just BBMC. Channels is simply a bonus that Viber WApp, and Line DOESN'T have.

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    09-21-14 10:51 PM
83 123 ...