Something that I've always wanted to do is be able to change the keyboard color of my phone without actually having to take apart the device. It would be a great way to make the phone more personalized.

Below is a picture of my old BlackBerry Bold 9900 that I changed the keyboard color on. I had to disassemble the device and rip apart the keyboard to do this. I took some scotch tape, colored it red with a Sharpie, and layed it across the lights.

BlackBerry should make color-changing keyboards-img_00000144.jpg

Drawbacks of doing this to my phone:
    - The keys are harder to push
    - The trackpad is still white
    - I constantly felt like I was going to break my phone when I was taking it apart
    - Taking apart the device would have void my warrenty if I had one

If BlackBerry baked the ability to change the color into their future devices, none of these drawbacks would exist.

It's not a dealbreaker for me to not have a color-changing keyboard, but I still think it would be a great idea and possibly win over a few customers who would think it's cool

Posted via CB10
    venious and Acumenight like this.
    06-27-13 08:43 PM
    Not something I've ever thought about, but very cool idea, much like lit car radio buttons can change colors...

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 08:48 PM
    Not a bad idea sure some people might go for it. Hey if the notification light color can be changed then the KB light shouldn't be that far behind

Might be time to grab a Coding Book for Dummies and make a weekend of it.
    But good idea.
    Better send off for the patent before someone grabs your idea.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 08:50 PM
    Not a bad idea sure some people might go for it. Hey if the notification light color can be changed then the KB light shouldn't be that far behind

Might be time to grab a Coding Book for Dummies and make a weekend of it.
    But good idea.
    Better send off for the patent before someone grabs your idea.

Posted via CB10
    Haha, I'm pretty sure color-changing LEDs already have a patent. Kia Soul? Volkswagen Beetle? And this isn't even my idea. Found it on YouTube.

And I don't care if someone makes a patent for it. I have a bunch of other great inventions stored up in my head

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 09:21 PM
    Doesn't it seem like the scotch tape couldn't make a perfect seal and therefore would attract dust?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 09:42 PM
    maybe you can do it yourself...

Sent from BlackBerry 9900
    06-27-13 09:48 PM
    Haha, I'm pretty sure color-changing LEDs already have a patent. Kia Soul? Volkswagen Beetle? And this isn't even my idea. Found it on YouTube.

And I don't care if someone makes a patent for it. I have a bunch of other great inventions stored up in my head

Posted via CB10
    You guys are getting weird now....lol....coding?? Doubt you can do it with code! LOL. Pretty simple hardware change though. They've been doing this kind of stuff since.....well a fairly long time ;-) I remember old feature phones from Motorola that could do it....like the ROKR....cool name baby!!
    06-27-13 10:06 PM
    Reminds me of Alienware laptop keyboards lol

theres a lot of people who manually change the colours with cellophane sheets, here's an example where a girl made a rainbow one out of a shaped sheet of cellophane glued together in strips for her phone. (edit found the link) if bb made them in a range of customisable colours like Alienware, not the hardware way with coloured sheets it'd be awesome!

Sent from my Jiayu G3S using Tapatalk 4 beta
    Last edited by Berry_Pink; 06-27-13 at 11:32 PM.
    06-27-13 11:14 PM
    Great idea I can see a lot of people that this would win over. The problem here is how do we get BlackBerry to listen to our ideas? They should have a suggestion web site. Hmmmm good idea BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    CarGuy1368 likes this.
    06-27-13 11:24 PM
    Some people might remember back a few years some models of the Pearl had the ability to change the colour of the LED that lit up the trackball.

It would be cool to have a multi colour keyboard. Imagine an app like BeBuzz that could not only flash the notification LED but light up the keyboard a different colour depending on what type of message was received.
    Masahiro likes this.
    06-27-13 11:25 PM
    Just had another idea. What if a colour changing keyboard could adapt to what app is currently being used. For example if you were using something like twitter or Facebook the keyboard would change blue. Open up the CrackBerry app and boom it changes to orange.

Ok now I want this. . BlackBerry needs to make it happen!
    Bobcat665 and Javid Gozalov like this.
    06-27-13 11:33 PM
    That would be so cool.

The 9900 was the only phone I had with a light up trackpad, and I feel like it wasn't ever taken to the max. The trackpad could have flashed when we were getting a call or something. I always thought it was cool how the trackpad looked silver in the daylight, but at night it was lit up. I remember there was a newer Curve with a designated BBM button, and I thought future models could have a BBM button like that, made out of that trackpad material, where it looks silver, but when it lit up to tell you of a new BBM, the light would be blue.
    06-28-13 01:03 AM
    Yesssss!!!!

I would edit mine to be bright green. Having a bright green back light would be the sex!!!!

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    06-28-13 03:16 AM
    Just had another idea. What if a colour changing keyboard could adapt to what app is currently being used. For example if you were using something like twitter or Facebook the keyboard would change blue. Open up the CrackBerry app and boom it changes to orange.

Ok now I want this. . BlackBerry needs to make it happen!
    Could work!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 03:58 AM
    Does look very cool. I guess it would be cheaper than supplying a whole range of phone colors, yet it will still allow for some personalized customization. Good idea, looks great!
    06-28-13 04:27 AM
    Looks awesome!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 04:29 AM