My Bold 9700 is 6 years old and showing signs of failure. The two features I can't be without are the auto switch off and on and the on line email filtering. None of the so called smart phones have these features and the BB10 series do not have the mail filtering feature. Any suggestions as to which phone I can use?
    Regards...Keith
    01-07-16 05:14 AM
    Not sure what this Auto Switch on and off is, not something that BB10 has.
    You're a bit stuffed really, the closest device to your bold is the BB Classic but of course runs BB10..
    01-07-16 05:30 AM
    There is no auto on/off in the setting in BB10
    But there is Bedside mode.

You can turn into airplane mode, too... unused, the phone loses then about 1-2% of Battery power per hour over night.

If you want a BB10 device, look around here for all the models (Classic looks like the Bold and has a bigger screen, no removable battery)
    If you want BlackBerry Hardware running Android-OS, it's named Priv.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-07-16 07:55 AM
    I went Classic about 7 months ago, from 9810 slider, and am very satisfied.
    01-07-16 01:15 PM
    What do you mean by email filtering?

As for auto on an off it was a brilliant feature that I dearly miss on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-16 01:41 PM
    Passport, Classic, Q10... depends on your sizing preferences... ;-D

(edit: as well as budget and personal cpu-power-hunger)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    01-07-16 09:49 PM
    OK guys thanks for the answers.
    1) BoldPrezza: The email filtering was the system pre BB10 that your emails were sent to RM and then forwarded to your BB. You could (& still can) go to your on line account and set filters for which emails you don't want forwarded to your BB. They are still on your email server, just not sent to your device. It is a feature I find so useful because my phone does not get clogged up with junk and my BB doesn't ding every few seconds. Apparently NO smart phones can do this including BB's running BB10. So my obviously I can't get a new BB, so the question is really which BB's still use the old system and which is the latest "old" BB I can use that does not auto update to BB10?
    All these new smart phones are not so smart after all.
    01-12-16 07:35 AM
    There was no auto on/off mode on BBOS. That is a common misconception. It was just a deep sleep mode, as it did not power down the device.

For filtering, you are referring to BIS. There is no BIS anymore with BB10. You will have to do your "pre-filtering" with your email provider. Some carriers are already beginning to shut down the BIS service. It may not been around much longer.
    01-12-16 08:19 AM
    OK guys thanks for the answers.
    1) BoldPrezza: The email filtering was the system pre BB10 that your emails were sent to RM and then forwarded to your BB. You could (& still can) go to your on line account and set filters for which emails you don't want forwarded to your BB. They are still on your email server, just not sent to your device. It is a feature I find so useful because my phone does not get clogged up with junk and my BB doesn't ding every few seconds. Apparently NO smart phones can do this including BB's running BB10. So my obviously I can't get a new BB, so the question is really which BB's still use the old system and which is the latest "old" BB I can use that does not auto update to BB10?
    All these new smart phones are not so smart after all.
    Thanks for the explanation.

If that feature is required then OS 7 phones would be your only bet. Those can't update to BlackBerry 10 so you're safe there but updates if any are few and far between. You may be able to still get a relatively new 9900 but bnib it would be expensive. Used however, my roommate just got one for $40.

If you're outside of North America then you may have options like the 9220 Curve which were very cheap brand new.

Also if you're only using it for texting, BBM or email a BlackBerry OS 7 will fit your needs very well. Any other uses you may need to look elsewhere as it simply cannot do them well.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 09:00 AM
    I'd just get a BlackBerry 9900 from eBay. There's still some brand new ones on there.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-16 01:06 PM