I know all the features will be going over to Android and iOS at some point but I believe they should launch with channels for BBM if they want to get big success. Following are the reasons.

1. Most people on iOS and Android fan sites say they dont need yet another IM app. Now we all know that they will eventually try it out since its 'BBM' but launching with Channels would make it way more than just another IM app. It is a mobile social network. Thereby pushing even those who resist yet another IM app.

2. Channels is very engaging and to a certain extent unique. I have used it for about 2 weeks now and It is highly engaging. You can participate in other's posts or make your own channel. Many other apps now have IM, Voice and Video. So BB can work on bringing their voice and video features post initial launch. But channels has the power to make BBM highly relevant again.

3. Let others develop the culture. We all know that in very general terms people using BB, Android and iOS have some basic differences. Users drive a social network in new directions based on how they use it. They develop culture(s) on a social network. Therefore if Android and iOS users are brought in late, they might not get to be a part of a developing culture. And they might not be happy with the culture(s) that already exists, thereby causing resistance to use channels. Let them be a part of it from the start and use it in ways BB users might not.

4. Channels is an instantly pleasing feature. You dont have to wait and watch if you like it. This feature could help iOS and Android users stick with BBM and keep them using the app while their contact list slowly grows. This is very important!! Another major reason people resist new IM apps is that the lack of installed users base leaves their contact list with no/very few contacts. BBM channels is the perfect distraction/alternative use while more people adopt BBM.
    Fnen90 likes this.
    08-04-13 08:17 AM
    Well I guess they can't please everyone all the time. They don't even know if it'll be a success with chat alone. Why dump money into it if it doesn't take off.
    08-04-13 08:19 AM
    Well I guess they can't please everyone all the time. They don't even know if it'll be a success with chat alone. Why dump money into it if it doesn't take off.
    You can look at it like that. OR You can think of it as a way of ensuring (or making very highly likely) that BBM will take off on iOS and Android.
    08-04-13 08:23 AM
    Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 08:26 AM
    You can look at it like that. OR You can think of it as a way of ensuring (or making very highly likely) that BBM will take off on iOS and Android.
    +1 I look at it as a statement of confidence.
    08-04-13 08:29 AM
    They need BBM video calling as much or more than they need channels at launch when it goes cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    h20work likes this.
    08-04-13 08:35 AM
    They need BBM video calling as much or more than they need channels at launch when it goes cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    Ideally Blackberry would like BBM to be fully featured when it goes cross platform. But I guess due to the limited time/resources that wont be possible. There are many other services out there for video calling. It woundnt help much in differentiating BBM at launch. Im not saying that Video calling isnt important, we all know that it is but it is something that Blackberry has to wait for a little while longer in its current situation as it does not add any unique value to BBM. Channels does as explained by points in the OP.
    08-04-13 09:29 AM
    channels is great, it's like a massive BB thread app, all put into one. It just needs more attention, much like how Google+ was a great idea but just overshadowed by other things like facebook.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 10:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you on this one

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 10:39 AM
    The most important thing is to launch a chat app that works as close to perfect as possible.
    08-04-13 10:50 AM
    No, they don't have to have channels for android and iOS at the beginning. Some fanboys may say they don't need another IM but those are just fanboys. Those fanboys won't download it even when it has Channels. Leave it to the people, everyone likes free stuff, especially chat apps, especially the one they used to use a lot, especially when it's secure, even without video. Look at whats app, it's more famous than skype.

If BBM will be presented with video chat it'll be BBM = Better Whatsapp + Better Skype.
    08-04-13 10:59 AM
    Hope Cross platform BBM wont be a half baked product. This is probably the last good chance for BB to get back more users and slowly move them to BB10. They must make sure BBM is of top quality and everything works very well. BBM has been long enough before whatsapp and viber, they BB needs to make sure that they do not release a beta type of application. BB can't afford press to write bad stuffs about them again. There is already enough damage to the brand name. Hope cross platform BB will be great and BB can win hearts.
    08-04-13 11:05 AM
    Launching it with BBM Video and BBM Voice would probably bring more value. That would help differentiate it from WhatsApp and the like - a full communication solution as opposed to just another IM. Releasing with just the chat (even if only initially) will illicit cries of being half baked. While Channels is a neat idea, I can't help but think it would be perceived as less valuable as the other BBM functions because it would be seen as yet another social network.

Features will bring the users. Once you have the user mass, then Channels will have a good chance to take off.
    08-04-13 11:25 AM
    Isn't BBM Channel still in beta for us BlackBerry users? Why create that if it's still in beta from the original platform. Unless they create a IOS and Android Beta page. I don't know. But the vid calling and voice call are much suitable than the channels at launch.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 11:36 AM
    Launching it with BBM Video and BBM Voice would probably bring more value. That would help differentiate it from WhatsApp and the like - a full communication solution as opposed to just another IM. Releasing with just the chat (even if only initially) will illicit cries of being half baked. While Channels is a neat idea, I can't help but think it would be perceived as less valuable as the other BBM functions because it would be seen as yet another social network.

Features will bring the users. Once you have the user mass, then Channels will have a good chance to take off.
    Well but then we already have Tango, Viber, Skype, WeChat (maybe more). All these offer IM and Video calling. So I guess adding video to a BBM at launch wont help differentiate itself. Where as if you have tried BBM channels, try to think of any other app that offers such an experience in one. Only one I can think of is Facebook, but it has two different apps for Social Networking and IM.

My entire argument is that BBM needs to be unique at launch. I know BBM Video is important and a must have feature, but it doesnt make BBM unique. Safety and security of BBM does make it unique but just that feature alone woundnt attract all those Whatspp and iMessage users to jump ship to BBM.
    08-04-13 12:02 PM
    I hope they have Voice and maybe even Video.

I'd like a feature where if in a BBM group, there's a conference call type thing. So if two users are already on there, other people in the group can also join in.

Same thing with video maybe.

Maybe only for BlackBerry users but I'd still like a feature like that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    08-04-13 12:15 PM
    Oh no...they will never think like that man, remember: it's BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 10:54 AM