Are you kidding?

The way BlackBerry has botched the cross platform release of BBM, I'd hate to try a BlackBerry influenced ATM. BBM reliability is now horrible. Is that really what you want to experience at an ATM?

While I'm a huge fan and I want BlackBerry to succeed, they'd better get first things first and put reliability back as top priority.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-21-14 10:56 PM
    Keep in mind that most ATM's are using XP Embedded, which is a slightly different animal than the standard Windows XP that we're all familiar with. The underlying base maybe an NT kernel, but everything outward facing is customized for the application the OS is running. Also, there are still a few more years of support for XP Embedded.

It may make sense for the QNX team to look into any kind of embedded systems, but getting traction may be difficult since the banks and cash companies would want to spend as little as possible to make hardware and software changes to their existing infrastructure. On top of hardware, be sure to also add the additional costs of support (how many times have you seen an out of order ATM?) and the benefit to cost proposition would have to be quite considerable for an organization to consider making a change: after all the C-level executives couldn't take a one or two cent loss in their quarterly earnings. Where would their bonus go?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 05:06 AM
    Ok I was with you on the ATM machines but you lost me on the NASCAR bit lol

Posted via CB10
    Not quite a logical segue, eh?!
    01-22-14 07:55 AM
    Because why would the banks/credit card companies want to cut BB into all that money, when what they've done in-house (which they own, and don't have to pay to license) already does the job?
    This.

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.1925
    01-22-14 08:07 AM
    The banks would never agree to it. Right now 95% of ATMs run Windows XP or XP Embedded. They've all universally agreed that after XP support is over this year, they're all switching to Windows 7. Everything they have is designed to run on Windows so they would have to rewrite all of their programs for whatever OS these machines would run (BB10 embedded maybe?) and it just wouldn't be worth their time, even if it did give extra security. Sorry to burst the bubble.

On the plus side, Windows 7 programs look way better than XP programs thanks to the development tools so we should all be looking forward to better quality ATM interfaces.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 12:31 PM
    Although I agree with you I must say that re-writing the code wouldn't be to hard. Most of my phone apps are more complicated than a bank machine.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 02:17 PM
    The parallels to another operating system are already remarkable, this would just make them uncanny.

OS/2 was a pretty neat operating system in its time with a nice user interface, few people cared.
    OS/2 was claimed to run DOS better than DOS and Windows better than Windows, so very few native apps were written for OS/2.
    IBM did very minimal marketing of OS/2, sound familiar?

OS/2 did and probably still does run on many ATM's.
    Wow you brought up some lost memories!
    01-22-14 02:38 PM
32 12