Since we do have the most secure OS, why not reach our hands into ATM machines. The banks wouldn't have to call it BlackBerry 10 but each banks ATM would have the same interface. Or it could be some QNX interface. It would be great for banks to to build better apps also. I'm hoping the QNX can get into just about everything to make it more secure and reliable.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 11:33 AM
    Not a bad idea. Also read some where that the govt is forcing atms to update to more recent software. So there could be an in road.
    01-21-14 11:38 AM
    off topic..... but am i the only one who's annoyed when people say ATM MACHINE, or PIN NUMBER... things like that?
    01-21-14 01:05 PM
    off topic..... but am i the only one who's annoyed when people say ATM MACHINE, or PIN NUMBER... things like that?
    Or how about 'right now'??
    Really right now? Not just now??
    01-21-14 01:08 PM
    Yeah, it's not an ATM, it's a cashpoint.
    01-21-14 01:14 PM
    Not a bad idea. Also read some where that the govt is forcing atms to update to more recent software. So there could be an in road.
    Yeah could be a good idea. Might also put BlackBerry back into people's minds and back in a very good cash position.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 01:30 PM
    How would they make cash from atms? I can't see how they can make gains there.

I want to know what happened to bbm money.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 02:24 PM
    How would they make cash from atms? I can't see how they can make gains there.

I want to know what happened to bbm money.

Posted via CB10
    Why don't they hook up a deal with BBM money, the ATM machines, QNX, the banks, and NFC.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 02:31 PM
    You need to understand that the licensing for embedded QNX (this is presumably what you are talking about) might be good for $5M a year. It's a tiny amount of revenue for a company like BB, and embedded OS licensing has never made a ton of money. QNX's total annual revenues were only $40M/year when BB (RIM) bought them in 2010.

BB is a company used to making BILLIONS in revenue, so while I'm sure they'd be happy for any win, it's not like ATMs are some huge potential for them.
    01-21-14 02:38 PM
    Why don't they hook up a deal with BBM money, the ATM machines, QNX, the banks, and NFC.
    Because why would the banks/credit card companies want to cut BB into all that money, when what they've done in-house (which they own, and don't have to pay to license) already does the job?
    01-21-14 02:39 PM
    I sent mike Clewley a email ,I hope he reads it. Just gave him my idea about QNX and bank software. My get my little dream shot down lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 02:44 PM
    Read this
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle16402341/

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.1925
    01-21-14 02:49 PM
    And it was shot down.
    BlackBerry Should Get Into ATM Machines!-img_00008313_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    Made in flanders likes this.
    01-21-14 03:31 PM
    And it was shot down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00008313_edit.png 
Views:	930 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	240523

Posted via CB10
    Not exactly shut down. He didn't say no, just that he can't comment. BTW in Canada BlackBerry does handle the transferring of data from a lot of interact machines. So they are already being used by the banks.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 04:19 PM
    Yes, QNX Neutrino is the mission critical embedded OS of choice and it makes the logical replacement for Windows XP??!! that ATMs run on now. It is the OS they built on to make BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Tatwi likes this.
    01-21-14 04:38 PM
    The parallels to another operating system are already remarkable, this would just make them uncanny.

OS/2 was a pretty neat operating system in its time with a nice user interface, few people cared.
    OS/2 was claimed to run DOS better than DOS and Windows better than Windows, so very few native apps were written for OS/2.
    IBM did very minimal marketing of OS/2, sound familiar?

OS/2 did and probably still does run on many ATM's.
    jpvj likes this.
    01-21-14 05:02 PM
    The parallels to another operating system are already remarkable, this would just make them uncanny.

OS/2 was a pretty neat operating system in its time with a nice user interface, few people cared.
    OS/2 was claimed to run DOS better than DOS and Windows better than Windows, so very few native apps were written for OS/2.
    IBM did very minimal marketing of OS/2, sound familiar?

OS/2 did and probably still does run on many ATM's.
    OS/2 did have a killer Majhong game!

Ok, putting on my a-hole hat for just a minute (yes, I have to put it on -- I don't wear it all the time, contrary to popular belief) ...

Re: thread title. It drives me crazy when people call them 'ATM Machines'. ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine. So when you call it an ATM Machine, you're essentially saying Automated Teller Machine Machine. Just like when people call a NASCAR race car 'a NASCAR'. It's not a NASCAR, it's a common template-formed pile of sheet metal hung on a tubular roll cage/space frame with headlight and taillight decals that sort of resemble the headlights and taillights on real cars so if you drink a few cases of Budweiser and squint really hard they almost kind of look like the road cars they are named after, but otherwise you can't tell one apart from the other. I really hate what they've done to auto racing. Anyway, it's not a NASCAR, and those cash things aren't Automated Teller Machine Machines.

/end of anal diatribe

So to get this back on topic, maybe Mr. Clewley can't comment on it because they're already doing it. Wouldn't that just knock Larry Page's socks off.

Edit: DrBoomBotz, love that nic.
    01-21-14 05:28 PM
    I want BB10 OS on ATMs so I can download and play angrybirds while it's processing my request.
    01-21-14 06:23 PM
    I want BB10 OS on ATMs so I can download and play angrybirds while it's processing my request.
    No butters. You can't play angry birds while you get your money out.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:40 PM
    This is a great idea! Once QNX is up and running on ATM's then it would be a cinch to offer them as accessories in vehicles:

"Hey, do you think you could go ahead and pay for the movie tickets today? I didn't get to go to the ATM machine today."

[With a big smile on my face, I push a button on my car dash which switches to an ATM interface.] "Help yourself."
    01-21-14 06:45 PM
    Many of them r on 13 year old XP. Not a bad idea

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 07:25 PM
    You need to understand that the licensing for embedded QNX (this is presumably what you are talking about) might be good for $5M a year. It's a tiny amount of revenue for a company like BB, and embedded OS licensing has never made a ton of money. QNX's total annual revenues were only $40M/year when BB (RIM) bought them in 2010.

BB is a company used to making BILLIONS in revenue, so while I'm sure they'd be happy for any win, it's not like ATMs are some huge potential for them.
    Even if it doesn't make a lot of money, it expands the footprint of QNX devices. QNX can speak really well with QNX. It opens up a lot of options for BB to have their mobile devices interact with those QNX devices.

As an example, if they got into the ATM and payment machine business they might be able to set up a way to use a BB as wallet. You'd have a digital wallet/CC on the phone so you can tap the ATM/payment machine and NFC will connect them to complete the transaction. Perhaps they could also make the lock button double as a fingerprint reader so you can authorize the transaction without typing in a code.

Functionality will help sell their mobile devices.
    01-21-14 07:27 PM
    Well if you want to go the ATM software route, why not go after the debit / credit card microchip route as well. BlackBerry security and reliability in my wallet is a very comforting thought.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 08:28 PM
    They need to get into movie theater ticket machines, and be able to pay with your phone/Ciniplex app.

But they would have to advertise the BB10 capabilities of paying with NFC during the "coming soon previews". That would be awesome.

Zed30
    01-21-14 08:37 PM
    OS/2 did have a killer Majhong game!

Ok, putting on my a-hole hat for just a minute (yes, I have to put it on -- I don't wear it all the time, contrary to popular belief) ...

Re: thread title. It drives me crazy when people call them 'ATM Machines'. ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine. So when you call it an ATM Machine, you're essentially saying Automated Teller Machine Machine. Just like when people call a NASCAR race car 'a NASCAR'. It's not a NASCAR, it's a common template-formed pile of sheet metal hung on a tubular roll cage/space frame with headlight and taillight decals that sort of resemble the headlights and taillights on real cars so if you drink a few cases of Budweiser and squint really hard they almost kind of look like the road cars they are named after, but otherwise you can't tell one apart from the other. I really hate what they've done to auto racing. Anyway, it's not a NASCAR, and those cash things aren't Automated Teller Machine Machines.

/end of anal diatribe

So to get this back on topic, maybe Mr. Clewley can't comment on it because they're already doing it. Wouldn't that just knock Larry Page's socks off.

Edit: DrBoomBotz, love that nic.
    Ok I was with you on the ATM machines but you lost me on the NASCAR bit lol

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 10:05 PM
32 12