Just a reminder to tell you what happens when you target consumers with Android -

Nokia sells 20,000 N1 tablets in China in 4 minutes - GSMArena.com news

Just think what will happen if Blackberry comes to consumer market with Android smartphones on its pretty QWERTY phones.
    And keep BB10 for Enterprise only, as they aren't really 'aiming at consumers' with it, right?
    01-09-15 02:23 AM
    I get your point, although I think that would likely spell the end of BB10 since once the floodgates open...

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 02:28 AM
    I think I'd rather keep seeing what we're already seeing which is BlackBerry making Android apps run in BB10 and having its services available to Android users. Though something that would be awesome would be an official BlackBerry launcher for Android with the amazing BB10 touch keyboard baked in. I'd even pay for that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-09-15 02:33 AM
    I get your point, although I think that would likely spell the end of BB10 since once the floodgates open...

Posted via CB10
    It'll clear doubts in minds of a alot of folks at blackberry.
    Even if BB10 ends, it'll end proving which OS is more competent - and which OS people actually want to use - as consumers, not as enterprise customers.
    01-09-15 02:37 AM
    I like it as it is, a niche product for exclusive consumers. That's how I like to see. Never liked following the crowd and BB10 works perfectly for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 02:37 AM
    If BlackBerry makes an Android device, it's not BlackBerry anymore. And there are tons of Android devices out there, there are devices with good camera, devices with styluses, devices with other gimmicks. What will make people buy a BlackBerry android phone? I bought a BlackBerry coz of its os, if I want many apps and games, I will always choose other android devices or iphones.

BlackBerry is a phone hardware and software maker, just like Apple. Do u think Apple will produce an iPhone run on android? I'm pretty sure that if Apple produce an iPhone with android, they will still sell like a hot cake due to their brilliant marketing.

Posted from my AWESOME Blackberry Passport, that not everyone can handle it!
    GSM-S, Ealaionta, mouts and 1 others like this.
    01-09-15 02:51 AM
    To be honest, if BlackBerry somehow managed to make an Android with Hub and gestures like BlackBerry 10, I'll happily jump ship. Those two features alone kept me with BlackBerry 10.

Although, my only benefit would be a better LINE app.

Also, Android somehow successfully made switching between 3G and 2G a pain in the a**. I didn't know such a torture could happen. If BlackBerry can deal with that too, it'd be pretty much golden
    01-09-15 03:00 AM
    What will make people buy a BlackBerry android phone?
    Why do you think people were craving for Nokia's android phone/tablet?
    People want change. The market is overly saturated with numerous senseless android phone brands.

Samsung is crap - you'd be lucky to get a software upgrade from them. They release a new phone on weekly basis. 10-20 variants of a single model. Samsung galaxy s6 core pro mega giga edge plus minus %. probably the reason why they are in loss now.

HTC has only one well recognized series, i.e. One. which is extremely overpriced.

LG, same case.

Motorola- only decent brand with good phones in low,mid,high ranges, but is now under lenovo. and its decent future looks cloudy.

One plus one- decent.
    And then there are few other chinese brands, nobody cares about.
    and why is that?
    Because market potential. people want Android phones by huge names. Blackberry can very well sell Android phones using its brand value alone. And yes, Android is a really good OS, utility wise.
    mouts likes this.
    01-09-15 03:07 AM
    Just a reminder to tell you what happens when you target consumers with Android -

Just think what will happen if Blackberry comes to consumer market with Android smartphones on its pretty QWERTY phones.
    And keep BB10 for Enterprise only, as they aren't really 'aiming at consumers' with it, right?
    You should just buy an Android device and be done with it

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 03:11 AM

Most writers don't know facts about Nokia N1 Tablet. It is Foxconn tablet with Nokia brand on it. I mean, not just manufactured by Foxconn. It is tablet made by Foxconn, for Foxconn, for Foxonn's money. Foxconn is distributor and hold warranty. Nokia has "brand-licensing agreement" with Foxconn.
    More:
    Nokia Announces N1 Android Tablet | Nokia
    Nokia is licensing its brand to Foxconn for the N1 tablet - GSMArena.com news
    Nokia's N1 Android tablet is actually a Foxconn tablet | ITworld
    Blacklatino and Ealaionta like this.
    01-09-15 03:38 AM
    My experiences with Android are that it is too "clunky" - I'd rather go back to iOS than across to Android full-time. BB10 with native apps for the critical stuff and good HTML5, or if push comes to shove, an Android app running under the improving capability of BB10 to run them is, for me, the best of most if not all worlds. Right now my opinion is that they will have to prise BB10 from my cold, dead hands.
    2Peks1Bird and cmartin329 like this.
    01-09-15 03:59 AM
    BlackBerry would not do it without access to the Play Store, which means they'd have to remove all Android from BB10 first. So there's that.
    01-09-15 04:52 AM
    I have bb10 and android devices. Those who only have Android, swear by them. Those who have tried both, myself included, know there is a huge difference. BB reads robustness, ease of access, functionality at its best and the list goes on. Meanwhile Android reads cheap with a bunch of crapps all over. Give me the exclusivity at a higher price...I'll pay for it any given day..
    01-09-15 07:38 AM
    I still fail to see the argument of BB going Android. If you want Android go get one. I can understand if there is 2 exclusive android out there to choose and you want bb for a third but wtf would BB do or why would there be a need for a BB to be the 10,002 Android maker.
    01-09-15 08:25 AM
    I like it as it is, a niche product for exclusive consumers. That's how I like to see. Never liked following the crowd and BB10 works perfectly for me.

Posted via CB10
    Exclusivity only works if you are the highest priced and enough people want to pay that price to earn a profit. People who bought the Palm Pre were exclusive customers and that didn't work out so well. As it stand exclusivity isn't something that BB wants nor will it keep them making handsets. Its nice to say I'm exclusive because I own this device but while BB is aiming at a niche, their ultimate goal is and should be to become a widely used platform again.
    01-09-15 08:26 AM
    If you put Android on a BlackBerry it's not going to magically sell. The reason for this is that it's not BB10 that's causing people not to buy BlackBerry phones, it's reputation. The name BlackBerry is quite poisonous now. If you ask most former BlackBerry users why they won't go back, they will usually reference an old BlackBerry and cite the reasons of battery pull, freeze and lag. When he say the new OS doesn't do that, they don't care. Why would telling them it ran Android make a difference? If they can support a brand that runs Android that hasn't let them down in the past they will. They won't come running back to BlackBerry with tears in their eyes proclaiming how much they missed them. They will just remember that crappy old curve they had that needed 6 battery pills to make it through the day.

Blackberry will do no worse by staying the course and developing their own unique product. The only real way out for them is to win back trust by producing a quality product that stands out from the rest.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 09:06 AM
    Nokia sells 20,000 N1 tablets in 4 minutes - to individual consumers, to distributors, retailers - who? I recall Chen saying BB sold 200,000 Passports on day one. I agree with RawDil - quality, niche product (for the time being), targeted towards an certain market.
    01-09-15 09:07 AM
    It's probably less about Android than it is about pretty good specs and quite good price. The flash sale of a limited run in a very limited market may also have promoted sales to scalpers.
    cmartin329 likes this.
    01-09-15 09:54 AM
    It'll clear doubts in minds of a alot of folks at blackberry.
    Even if BB10 ends, it'll end proving which OS is more competent - and which OS people actually want to use - as consumers, not as enterprise customers.
    The real reason that Android is so popular (bigger that iOS) is that it is cheap as an OS, being given away for free by Google, who then harvests the information from the phones running its OS. Let's not forget that Android phones are easy targets for hackers who will then steal your information such as passwords and PIN numbers. This is why both Boeing and Samsung brought in BlackBerry to help them deal with the security issues on their Android devices.

The Korean phone manufacturers make some really nice phones that run the Android OS, and relatively speaking, those phones are inexpensive, which makes them popular and widespread. However, the skins those manufacturers put on the Android OS really interfere with the basic OS. In the long run, consumers will gravitate to the Samsung, LG, and HTC phones because they are good, inexpensive phones, and because the OS is clearly superior, like the BB10 OS.
    Ackehece likes this.
    01-09-15 10:10 AM
    One needs to also consider that:
    - Nokia, or the mobile part, had been sold. People will buy it for the memory of the brand.
    - Nokia sold the 20,000 N1 in China at a low price of about U$260. Nokia is a western brand which hence is regarded as high quality. That plus the low price will drive the sale in China.
    Would Blackberry sell something at U$250? And will Blackberry be able to maintain a decent quality for a product at such price?
    01-09-15 10:58 AM
    Just think of what would happen if a quality hardware supplier like Nokia ran BB10 on its products.
    DarkJoker33 and Bbnivende like this.
    01-09-15 10:59 AM
    Selling 20,000 units in 4 minutes doesn't tell what the long-term sales might be, just like selling 200,000 Passports in one day.
    01-09-15 11:07 AM
    To make an Android device is just the first step into being a bottom dweller. The next conversation would be " lower your price under(China Co) to sell more units.

Stick with BB10, create a niche for yourself. Not everybody needs to be #1 in every market.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    01-09-15 11:09 AM
    I still think if BlackBerry were to ever attempt to release an Android device, which is extremely unlikely, they'd have 2 ways of doing so that may work. BlackBerry with its new direction, mainly on the part of John Chen, has seen a tremendous turnaround. John Chen in the little time he's been at BlackBerry had been able to prove a lot of skeptics wrong and has helped them become a respectable company again. Consumers are starting to see the appeal in BlackBerry devices again. Mostly when it comes down to people choosing BlackBerry or Android/iOS, it always comes down to apps and services. And while there is now a second option in the Amazon Appstore for getting all your popular apps, there needs to be more done to ensure that someone considering getting a BlackBerry knows this beforehand. But also that the people selling these devices do their jobs to properly inform prospective customers. Anyway, I digress. If BlackBerry were to ever try to release an Android device, they have 2 options to run with. First, is releasing a device with an OS based on Android like Amazon's Fire OS, with Amazon still providing the Appstore. This would help bring in new BlackBerry users while presenting them with an OS that's different by design but not so much function, all the while still having all their Android apps readily available. And second, just going as near stock Android as possible. This second option wouldn't sit well with many long time BlackBerry fans, but now that BlackBerry has a good name again it would help bring in more users already using Android that still have a soft spot for BlackBerry, while not entirely having to give up the Android their accustomed to. I don't assume any of those options would work, this is just me putting my ideas out there. But either way, I highly doubt BlackBerry would risk their company with such a move.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by rebelscan; 01-09-15 at 11:37 AM.
    01-09-15 11:10 AM
    If you put Android on a BlackBerry it's not going to magically sell. The reason for this is that it's not BB10 that's causing people not to buy BlackBerry phones, it's reputation.
    It is very clearly because of BB10 that's causing people not to buy Blackberry phones.

If BB10 were desirable, then the $200 Z10 would have immediately sold out because no name, Chinese/Indian OEMs offered devices with worse value than the Z10 at a point. It's silly to pin all of Blackberry's woes on reputation from BB OS7.

If Blackberry were to go Android, it would not fix all of Blackberry's problems but a lot of them will go away. Android critics raise a valid point that Blackberry using Android may still not be profitable; however, that does not imply Blackberry using BB10 is a better route. Blackberry is in a Catch 22.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 01-09-15 at 12:48 PM.
    Witmen likes this.
    01-09-15 12:01 PM
60 123