So people think BlackBerry should try advertising to the masses in the US. Those people are accustomed to a native app stores filled with everything from fart apps to business centric tools. I don't think many people are going to give that up for the Hub etc.
    Why is this US only though. Are apps not used outside of the US? Is the US market an anomaly? No it was simply the leading indicator and trend setter for the entire smartphone market. While BlackBerry spent all that time selling cheap phones in developing markets and ignoring the US and telling Verizon LTE was a stupid idea, Android devices were getting cheaper, and networks in developing markets getting better. Now BlackBerry is getting decimated in all markets globally and people expect apps on their phones. Chen told developers to pound sand.

Posted via Z30
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    07-03-15 08:37 AM
    Very good

Z10 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak g�nderildi
    07-13-15 09:44 AM
    Just a quick update to say that BlackBerry have sold in approximately 1.58m BlackBerry 10 smartphones for the six month period ending August 29th 2015. This is compared to the around 2.44m BlackBerry 10 smartphones sold to retail during the same period last year. OS7 smartphone shipments have dropped considerably year on year with only 0.32m shipped in the last 6 months compared to 1.26m during the same period last year. Total smartphone shipments are down 49% year on year.

The Installed base of BlackBerry users now stands at 30 million which is down from 46 million compared to the same time last year. (-35%)

Hardware revenue continues to decrease and is unable to be offset by increasing software and services revenue leading to a 39% decrease YOY in total revenue generated for this 6 month period.

Apologies I wasn't able to update at the beginning of October when this news came out.

The next set of results will account for the first month sell in of the "BlackBerry Priv", the company's first Android based smartphone.
    11-10-15 04:59 PM
    Thanks for the update, it is appreciated. At the very least, BB isn't going down without a fight!
    11-10-15 05:04 PM
    Thanks for the update, it is appreciated. At the very least, BB isn't going down without a fight!
    I am not sure why you say this. Those numbers are not very good and suggest they were not competitive at all YOY.
    11-10-15 06:00 PM
    I am not sure why you say this. Those numbers are not very good and suggest they were not competitive at all YOY.
    But BB is not quitting, now onto the Priv (android). Anything to stay in the game.
    11-10-15 06:04 PM
    The devices are not sold in stores. That's the main reason they can't sell in big quantities. A large number of people go into stores and ask for advice on which phone to buy next. If there are no BlackBerries in the store or if the reps aren't willing to sell them, they will never sell in big numbers again.

Also, I was under the impression that they have sold out of BBOS 7.1 devices and weren't going to make any more ever again. Hence, there will be no more BBOS sales from now on. That's really crazy, if there are still people willing to buy them.
    11-10-15 06:34 PM
    One of the statements that John Chen keeps mentioning is that he intends to grow the business also via inorganic growth.

He is looking for deals to bring in revenue via potential purchases. Good Technologies and the other companies they have purchased are going to bring in perhaps $200-300 mil in revenue.

On a recent Bloomberg or CNBC interview he might have mis spoken but it almost appeared to suggest he was looking at Mobile Iron as a buy. The interviewer had mentioned the buyout of of their competitor "Mobile Iron" when in fact he should have said Good Technologies. John Chen corrected him and said something along the lines of "Mobile Iron makes sense too"

Given the balance sheet and the fact that they are at least financially stable now they are looking to buy.

If the Priv is successful only moderately then a decent little hardware business on top of software, services and IOT could make for growth over the next 12-24 months.

Just my personal opinion

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 06:39 PM
    Why is this US only though. Are apps not used outside of the US? Is the US market an anomaly? No it was simply the leading indicator and trend setter for the entire smartphone market. While BlackBerry spent all that time selling cheap phones in developing markets and ignoring the US and telling Verizon LTE was a stupid idea, Android devices were getting cheaper, and networks in developing markets getting better. Now BlackBerry is getting decimated in all markets globally and people expect apps on their phones. Chen told developers to pound sand.

Posted via Z30
    You are mixing up two periods in history. BBOS and BIS made $$ for BlackBerry and you might say helped keep BlackBerry afloat.

Fast forward to the Chen era. I had suggested at the time when run time became available to users (way too late) that BlackBerry needed an Android app store - not this ported stuff.

I thought at the very least, BlackBerry should have offered Android APK's (the same as Google Play store minus GPS) in the BBW store. That would have been preferable to Amazon.

I think that BB10 might have tenable if BlackBerry would have had a Android store and if they would have had a good all touch phone at a reasonable price.
    11-10-15 06:55 PM
    Thanks for the update, it is appreciated.
    Glad it's useful

Also, I was under the impression that they have sold out of BBOS 7.1 devices and weren't going to make any more ever again. Hence, there will be no more BBOS sales from now on. That's really crazy, if there are still people willing to buy them.
    I'd wager that the majority of those OS7 shipments are being sold into developing markets where demand for cheap entry level smartphones are quite high. Also in some territories BlackBerry do not recognise the revenue on OS7 units until they are sold through to the end user so it could just be the final units being sold through in these developing markets. I don't imagine many, if any Western retailers taking new units on.

But as you can see the number being sold in is considerably down compared to last year, 320,000 units out of around 650m smartphones sold in the last 6 months isn't anything worth noting.

One of the statements that John Chen keeps mentioning is that he intends to grow the business also via inorganic growth.

He is looking for deals to bring in revenue via potential purchases. Good Technologies and the other companies they have purchased are going to bring in perhaps $200-300 mil in revenue.

On a recent Bloomberg or CNBC interview he might have mis spoken but it almost appeared to suggest he was looking at Mobile Iron as a buy. The interviewer had mentioned the buyout of of their competitor "Mobile Iron" when in fact he should have said Good Technologies. John Chen corrected him and said something along the lines of "Mobile Iron makes sense too"

Given the balance sheet and the fact that they are at least financially stable now they are looking to buy.

If the Priv is successful only moderately then a decent little hardware business on top of software, services and IOT could make for growth over the next 12-24 months.

Just my personal opinion

Posted via CB10
    I would agree that inorganic growth that focuses on software company acquisitions could work. At this point it's clear that BlackBerry are on the path of becoming purely a software and services only company as revenues from hardware and service access fees continue to decline. What's most worrying though is how Hardware and Service revenues continue to decline sharply year on year yet the Software and Services division are unable to offset that decline.

When the declining part of the organisation still accounts for 81% of the overall business in terms of revenue then that means that BlackBerry need to find a way to slow that decline as the software and services division continues to grow. I don't see the Priv being able to do that and honestly with OS7 shipments about to be discontinued and more users migrating away from OS7 I'd expect revenue and shipments to continue declining through this fiscal year and into the next.
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    11-11-15 06:34 AM

Just my personal opinion

Posted via CB10
    The confusion was with Mobile Eye. That's when Mobile Iron came up, and Chen said that makes sense too.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 06:56 AM
    People just don't seem to know they exist, no exposure = no interest = no sales.
    Agreed. How do u sell something that no one knows about? Look at the Priv, zero marketing on TV ads. Zilch.

Posted via Classic
    11-11-15 07:08 AM
    Agreed. How do u sell something that no one knows about? Look at the Priv, zero marketing on TV ads. Zilch.

Posted via Classic
    Have to hope that for some reason BlackBerry is just testing the waters, before jumping in.

Cause I agree without REAL marketing to let people see the phone and know it exists... I'm not sure how they expect anyone to recognize it when it comes time to buy a new phone.

Get some inventory built up. get additional retailers and carriers on board, drop the price $100 and do some marketing..... who knows where that could lead.
    phuoc and JeepBB like this.
    11-11-15 07:27 AM
    Have to hope that for some reason BlackBerry is just testing the waters, before jumping in.

Cause I agree without REAL marketing to let people see the phone and know it exists... I'm not sure how they expect anyone to recognize it when it comes time to buy a new phone.

Get some inventory built up. get additional retailers and carriers on board, drop the price $100 and do some marketing..... who knows where that could lead.
    I went to several teleco shops in my area outside Vancouver yesterday to demo the Priv. I couldn't find a shop that had one including Rogers. I've yet to check BestBuy.

It's like hunting for wild boar
    11-11-15 10:13 AM
239 ... 8910