Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonathank
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question BlackBerry and Security, no one cares

I always seem to ask myself Why do people not care about security? I understand that security is not cool but what I don't understand is it's not that important BUT today security is needed more then ANYTHING, why do people over look security? It's like everyone is turning a blind eye, today AMEX and Twitter announced that you can pay via hashtag, Did we not just see twitter was hacked days ago? AMEX is ignoring security, The Playstation network was hacked, Government website continue to be hacked, even media like the wall street journal and times have been hacked. The point is I don't ever remember a time that so much hacking is going on at once, Hugh hackers exist like anonymous and yet we all say the **** with security. You would think that Security would have become more important these days, instead it takes a back seat. I wonder why?. Hackers are now able to access your personal information stored on website such as fb and Twitter which in return affects YOU not fb or twitter but your own personal information.
    1994 Nokia 2110, 1996 Star Tec, 2001 Sanyo SCP 5150, Motorola TalkAbout t900 2002 SideKick 2003 Treo 600, BlackBerry 7280, Nokia 3300. 2004 Sanyo PM8200, BlackBerry 7100t. 2005 BlackBerry 7100i, Sanyo MM5600. 2006 Samsung A940, A920. 2007 BlackBerry 8800, 8130, Nokia N95, BlackBerry 8300, 8350i. 2008 Treo 800w, BlackBerry 9630. 2009 Palm Pree, BlackBerry 8530. 2011 BlackBerry 9900. 2012Nokia Lumia 900 Nokia 808 PureView. 2013 BLACKBERRY Z10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hi I do not have a job at a big company and I do not manage my own finances. I'm going to go buy an iphone and post pictures of myself on facebook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

random question if anyone knows... how many big security issues came from a mobile OS? my have been a few or a lot BUT I can't think of hearing about any over the last number of years/
  4. cgk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,714 Global Posts

People care about things that impact them directly - if you have money stolen you will change behaviour, if your friend does or someone on the internet you will not.
    CrackBerry User

there are plenty of blackberry users who don't care about security

look no further than the hoardes of people ripping android APKs off third party web hosting sites and installing them

security ultimately lies with the user, not the platform
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,819 Global Posts

There will be a gaping hole sooner or later, especially as smart phones get more and more popular world wide. Don't count your chickens yet.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,315 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*******

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    random question if anyone knows... how many big security issues came from a mobile OS? my have been a few or a lot BUT I can't think of hearing about any over the last number of years/
    Android under assault as hacker attacks on phones go up 472 per cent in four months | Mail Online
    Hacking experts find new ways to attack Android phones | Reuters
    2013 Prediction: Hackers Attack Mobile Phones | Popular Science
    Mercenary Hackers Target Android, Windows Phone, iPhone in Operation 'Red October' - N4BB

there u go buddy... google is ur friend..

jailbreak + Starbucks coffee shop (or any public wifi) = Hacker's dreamland..
    Thanked by:
    Jonathank (02-12-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

Cyber attacks will continue and the more we move toward mobile computing, then the greater the opportunity for someone to gain access and do some real damage. As cgk said, when a breach of personal security affects them personally, you will see a greater chance that security awareness will increase. Until then, enjoy the security of your BlackBerry and pray for your non-BlackBerry friends.
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.2.1.2141
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,315 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*******

there are some people out there that can do very malicious things if they wanted to!
    accessing the camera on an android device is probably the easiest thing to do for someone that knows how and with the tools available to themm... also tracking location, gathering what data users input (i.e. passwords, etc). pretty accessible.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,795 Global Posts

I care. Its one of the main things that drew me to BB to begin with
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

thanks pal... craziness asking a question on a forum I know.

and yeah I'm a bit cloudy today and can't believe I forgot all those issue lol
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

That a very interesting comment. I was in a training for BB10 and the things that the Blackberry trainer was saying were very interesting in terms of the ability to hack the other OS out there. The other comment was the security of the apps, not sure I buy the whole story but it was interesting if even partially true. Enought to convince me to keep all the employees on BB (there has been alot of push back, wanting to go to BYOD)
    CrackBerry User

People in general are Reactive as opposed to proactive, the ones that are proactive are called: Paranoid,Crazy.. etc.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't trust the phone I have right now with mobile banking or anything like that. I'm waiting for a bb10 device before I try it out
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts

You do understand that everyone of those stories is generated by a so called "security firm" or a vendor of a malware protection program, who has a vested interest in convincing you that you need protection from the buggers that are out there? You don't think that's some kind of conflict of interest? Just asking.
    CrackBerry Addict

Out of curiosity, can someone please explain, technically (without going into details) how Blackberry's system is less vulnerable? (need to use such information to sell the phone to my friends)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,315 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*******

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakablej View Post
    Out of curiosity, can someone please explain, technically (without going into details) how Blackberry's system is less vulnerable? (need to use such information to sell the phone to my friends)
    i dunno if this explains what ur looking for, but since BB10 is FIPS certified and if u read what FIPS is here:
    FIPS 140-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it has to do a lot with cryptographic modules, which are Cryptography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or a kind of secret code..

the information u get from a blackberry is encrypted with secret code that is not readable
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,315 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*******

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    You do understand that everyone of those stories is generated by a so called "security firm" or a vendor of a malware protection program, who has a vested interest in convincing you that you need protection from the buggers that are out there? You don't think that's some kind of conflict of interest? Just asking.
    yah... but it's real.. i can't say why just incase someone is spying on me haha.. jk.. but accessing androids and ios devices is pretty simple if ur a intermediate hacker..

bad example, but i've done it to prove to a friend of mine..
    he was jailbroken
    he was on my wifi at home.
    obviously i know my ip address
    i opened an ftp client
    entered my ip with the generic passwords for iphones at the time i believe it was alpine or something.
    i had access to his entire file system .. i coulda deleted anything and everything and just mess it up
    i could download his text messages etc etc etc..

again .. bad example and not really a HACK, but still can do some damage. all a hacker has to do is sit in a starbucks and run some sniffers and a way he goes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Still do not feel comfortable putting my financial accounts on this phone or ANY phone.
    Just do not trust the protection of my info with all of the data going in and out.
    I may never feel comf. with this issue, scares me. Someone hijacked my mastercard
    last yr via something but it wasn't the phone i was using. Too risky for now.
    Guitar Players do it better!!

"Ahab, can I bum my doobage??"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

Quote Originally Posted by Tom689 View Post
    Hi I do not have a job at a big company and I do not manage my own finances. I'm going to go buy an iphone and post pictures of myself on facebook
    If you make a duck face does that mean people feed you bread crumbs?
    Banned

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts

What makes BB10 so secure?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,052 Global Posts

Default BlackBerry and Security, no one cares

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakablej View Post
    Emails,bbm's and web browsing goes through the NOC (network operations Center) there's 2 or 3 layers of encryption that the info passes through before it gets to where it needs to go. Regular phones just use the carriers internet for surfing and all the others where a BlackBerry will use carriers data stream as a pipeline to a secure closet with the info being encrypted all the way through.

Sent from my game boy color
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
    If you make a duck face does that mean people feed you bread crumbs?
    It's a joke
    I want BB10 on torch hardware.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

I forget exactly what happened but a friend of mine got a Galaxy S3 and afterwards his credit card company called to see if you tried to set up google wallet or something along those lines and never had. I'm sure if stories like that got pushed by the media people would care, but thats not whats getting pushed.