I think if we had the option to just lock the phone and not only have 10 tries then enter BlackBerry to continue would be great for 2 reasons.
    1. When someone steals my phone most thieves just want the phone itself not the data. So when they enter BlackBerry, guess what? They get a brand new phone and now can start fresh.

2. And biggest of all. Let's say you catch the police on video doing something wrong they grab your phone and can either take out the SD card and get rid of it (not much you can do about it) but save to phone memory.again you lock it and they can just wipe it and there goes your evidence. Cops are known for that, they don't like being video taped.

If we had the option JUST to lock and have unlimited tries to unlock or wait 1 hour before you can have another attempt would be amazing. Having both options 10 tries and unlimited would be great. 10 tries should be for TOP sensitive jobs and unlimited for personal users.
    I know some would say but what if you forgot the password? Then you are locked out for good? Not if you had the option to plug it in to BlackBerry Link and wipe it from there.

Or it would be great to literally lock pictures and videos from being deleted. So who ever tries to delete something would need a password, kinda like how people can't pick up your phone and download paid apps. You need a password for that

These features would make my berry feel like I'm in full control of the security of the phone. Options options options the more the better

Sent from the Amazing Z10
    09-06-13 01:14 AM
    I think if we had the option to just lock the phone and not only have 10 tries then enter BlackBerry to continue would be great for 2 reasons.
    1. When someone steals my phone most thieves just want the phone itself not the data. So when they enter BlackBerry, guess what? They get a brand new phone and now can start fresh.

2. And biggest of all. Let's say you catch the police on video doing something wrong they grab your phone and can either take out the SD card and get rid of it (not much you can do about it) but save to phone memory.again you lock it and they can just wipe it and there goes your evidence. Cops are known for that, they don't like being video taped.

If we had the option JUST to lock and have unlimited tries to unlock or wait 1 hour before you can have another attempt would be amazing. Having both options 10 tries and unlimited would be great. 10 tries should be for TOP sensitive jobs and unlimited for personal users.
    I know some would say but what if you forgot the password? Then you are locked out for good? Not if you had the option to plug it in to BlackBerry Link and wipe it from there.

Or it would be great to literally lock pictures and videos from being deleted. So who ever tries to delete something would need a password, kinda like how people can't pick up your phone and download paid apps. You need a password for that

These features would make my berry feel like I'm in full control of the security of the phone. Options options options the more the better

scorched earth policy. There's a reason why 2nd hand BlackBerries almost don't exist here, because of this. But in a way, it also drive the consumer to probably buy another BlackBerry, since the thief can't use it anyway. (or at least in the BBOS, this was true)
    09-06-13 02:09 AM
    Great opinion thanks. I've had people be shocked knowing that if you enter the password wrong 10 times it wipes the devices and its content. If a person is malicious they can easily wipe someone else's blackberry.

The option to reset the password using an alternative method (series of questions) is a good idea. They need some degree of simplicity to allow users to reset their passwords however without going through a difficult technical process though.
    09-06-13 02:14 AM
    If I remember correctly, even if a person with malicious intent ended up wiping the device, they would still need to correctly input the password or successfully log into the associated BBID to unlock the phone once it boots up again. I think this is what happens as when using a destructive upgrading method like an autoloader, you still need to know your device password after a security wipe.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    Jonathank likes this.
    09-06-13 02:45 AM
    If I remember correctly, even if a person with malicious intent ended up wiping the device, they would still need to correctly input the password or successfully log into the associated BBID to unlock the phone once it boots up again. I think this is what happens as when using a destructive upgrading method like an autoloader, you still need to know your device password after a security wipe.

and the thief still ends up with a brick.
    09-06-13 03:02 AM

and the thief still ends up with a brick.
    09-06-13 03:03 AM
    Oh I was unaware of this. Thanks for the info

09-06-13 12:03 PM
    If I am not mistaken, (I will look up the article) BlackBerry now has the facility to completely brick a lost or stolen device by it's PIN making it completely unusable anywhere in the world. That alone makes BlackBerry an unattractive target for thieves.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-06-13 12:24 PM
    Nice!

Z10 via CB 10
    09-06-13 05:53 PM
    If I am not mistaken, (I will look up the article) BlackBerry now has the facility to completely brick a lost or stolen device by it's PIN making it completely unusable anywhere in the world. That alone makes BlackBerry an unattractive target for thieves.
    That's also the partial reason why a second hand BlackBerry (I'm not talking about officially refurbished BlackBerries) has almost zero second hand value. Countered with the fact that the OLD BBOS devices (up to BBOS7) required mandatory BIS / BES to work, the moment the PIN is blocked the device becomes a super expensive paperweight.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-07-13 06:50 AM
    As to police wishing to block the release of their thuggish actions, they will just confiscate it and destroy the phone. The best option there is to have the phone auto upload recorded content to appropriate cloud services. Unfortunately BlackBerry hasn't bothered to give us that capability. I haven't looked to see if an app exists to do that. I wish something like EyeFi existed in SD cards where files written to the media card were uploaded as they are created.

Posted via CB10
    You mean like how you can have all pictures/videos uploaded to box the moment you take them?

BlackBerry Security Flaw (somewhat) IMO-img_00000025.png

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 08:51 PM
    That works only 10 percent of the time

09-11-13 07:44 PM