BlackBerry S10 w/ Revamped SurePress-verizon-rim-blackberry-storm-2.jpg
    Before i start let me first say that i LOVE all of my BlackBerry 10 devices ( and yes, even my numerous BBOS ones). I'm currently on my beloved Q10 and this evening stumbled onto my old Storm ll ( yeah yeah, i know .... it was a love hate with that device for many of you) booted her up and started to play around with her and realized a few things..... I really like/ love/ miss the way BlackBerry (RIM) implemented the classic "toolbelt" on a touchscreen. I also realized how much i thoroughly enjoyed SurePress, the ability to have a full touchscreen AND tactile physical keyboard like feedback was amazing. I also loved / missed the ability to "hover/highlight" something before clicking on it ( i rarely ever clicked on something unintentionally because of this. So i'm sitting at my desk staring at her and wondering "am i crazy?" does anyone else miss some of what the Storm ll offered? or am i just crazy? It also got me thinking about how much i would LOVE a Z10/Z30 'esque device with the Storm ll implementation of the classic "toolbelt" along with a refined SurePress screen. I would literally froth at the mouth and throw whatever $ they ask for it.

BlackBerry, bring me a SurePress BlackBerry 10 Device.

Thank You.

Wanna Know What's Going On In The World Of Health and Medicine?
    Join Caduceus, The Only Channel Of It's Kind.

C00169954
    04-17-14 09:16 PM
    I still have a Storm 2 sitting in a drawer as well. As much as I liked SurePress, I don't think I'd want it back. It would feel like a step backwards to me.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 09:43 PM
    Of all my devices I still miss my torch..we need at Bb10 slider

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    04-17-14 09:45 PM
    I still have a Storm 2 sitting in a drawer as well. As much as I liked SurePress, I don't think I'd want it back. It would feel like a step backwards to me.

Posted via CB10
    Boot her up. Try it (the surepress)

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    04-17-14 09:47 PM

As much as I love my physical keyboard.... it always felt crammed on the Torch. I always opted for the beautiful Bold line. Although... I think we ALL secretly miss something from the good ole' Legacy days.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    04-17-14 09:51 PM
    As much as I love my physical keyboard.... it always felt crammed on the Torch. I always opted for the beautiful Bold line. Although... I think we ALL secretly miss something from the good ole' Legacy days.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    I agree, but I think a wider slimmer slider would be a nice addition

kbz1960 and RyanGermann like this.
    04-17-14 09:53 PM
    I agree, but I think a wider slimmer slider would be a nice addition

Agreed. The more options the better. Although I'm pretty sure that JC has stated that this won't be the case.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    04-17-14 10:35 PM
    Sold. I'd buy a SurePress BB10 device in a heartbeat
    04-17-14 10:38 PM
    Sold. I'd buy a SurePress BB10 device in a heartbeat
    Absolutely! I'd be ALL over it as well.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    04-17-14 10:43 PM

This might be a reality some day. I've heard rumors. Just rumors.
    Loved my torch.

Posted via my Vic20
    04-17-14 11:30 PM
    Yup crazy lol

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    04-17-14 11:39 PM
    Yup crazy lol

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    Ha ha, what exactly is crazy.... the torch, SurePress or.... Hmmm, perhaps something else.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    04-17-14 11:43 PM
    Your storm looks brand new. Literally bought a used storm 2 last week to refurbish it and see what i missed out on in those days (always wanted on but didn't get a chance to try it out).
    04-17-14 11:57 PM
    Your storm looks brand new. Literally bought a used storm 2 last week to refurbish it and see what i missed out on in those days (always wanted on but didn't get a chance to try it out).
    Excellent! Have you refurbished it yet? If so, how's it been for you? Btw... I really babied my Storm ll.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    04-18-14 12:00 AM
    I had the storm 2 and I really liked it a lot. The lack of apps made me give it up.
    04-18-14 12:13 AM
    Problem with the Storm was that it has a physical mechanism which has more potential for failure. Lint getting stuck in the mechanism etc.
    I don't think BlackBerry should introduce anything which can potentially have a higher rate of failure than slab phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 02:25 AM
    It was a good idea but poorly executed.
    04-18-14 02:50 AM
    Loved my 9550 for the most part. Then the 9930 came along, and while I loved the clicky screen, the Bold has that fabulous keyboard, amongst other things.

My old roommate recently upgraded to a iPhone 5S. Storm2 9550 owner from Dec '09 to Feb '14.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 03:05 AM
    IMHO:
    Surepress 1 was a total disaster. Surepress 2 was "just" a disaster.
    Just looking at the implementation, I cannot help thinking "BlackBerry allowed the nerdy engineering team to force this product all the way through to market".

The typing experience was awfull near the edges. Using audible feedback you can trick the brain to believe a "click" happened and at the same time you will get a MUCH simpler mechanical and electrical solution.

Audible feedback os not new. One of the best experiences I have had, was from the Danish company "Bang & Olufsen" (B&O). They launced a wireless (DECT) phone in 1998 using a wheel for navigation. When the phone was powered off, it was obvious that the wheel was just a wheel, but when powered on, the audible feedback really made you believe that it had small stops or clicks built-in. Very impressive "manipulation" of the brain.
    BeoCom 6000 Cordless DECT Telephone

Having in mind that B&O made this possible 16 years ago, all I can say: NO WAY BlackBerry should re-introduce SurePress (and I'm 110% sure they know that).
    04-18-14 05:11 AM
    Sure press back.....NO

A little feedback via vibration... YES

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    04-18-14 05:36 AM
    Sometimes I want to go back to BBOS simply because of the toolbelt. It's the one feature that I really miss. I really think I was faster at cutting/pasting parts of text and emails with BBOS than I am with BB10.
    04-18-14 06:17 AM
    I had the storm 2 and I really liked it a lot. The lack of apps made me give it up.
    I gave mine up for the Bold 9930. I still think that's one of the best devices they ever released. Ooh how I still miss those charging contacts.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-18-14 08:59 AM
    Problem with the Storm was that it has a physical mechanism which has more potential for failure. Lint getting stuck in the mechanism etc.
    I don't think BlackBerry should introduce anything which can potentially have a higher rate of failure than slab phones.

Posted via CB10
    The second implementation of SurePress was great. Radically different than the first implementation, the Piezo technology and multi-touch/press and better, tighter screen design made lint and debris a non issue. I still would love to see SurePress along with its "toolbelt" return. SurePress was abandoned far too soon.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    SlcCorrado and 3_M4N like this.
    04-18-14 09:15 AM
    Loved my 9550 for the most part. Then the 9930 came along, and while I loved the clicky screen, the Bold has that fabulous keyboard, amongst other things.

My old roommate recently upgraded to a iPhone 5S. Storm2 9550 owner from Dec '09 to Feb '14.

Posted via CB10
    Holy smokes! Now THAT'S some serious use. Couldn't get them to give BlackBerry 10 a chance huh?

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    04-18-14 09:17 AM
    IMHO:
    Surepress 1 was a total disaster. Surepress 2 was "just" a disaster.
    Just looking at the implementation, I cannot help thinking "BlackBerry allowed the nerdy engineering team to force this product all the way through to market".

The typing experience was awfull near the edges. Using audible feedback you can trick the brain to believe a "click" happened and at the same time you will get a MUCH simpler mechanical and electrical solution.

Audible feedback os not new. One of the best experiences I have had, was from the Danish company "Bang & Olufsen" (B&O). They launced a wireless (DECT) phone in 1998 using a wheel for navigation. When the phone was powered off, it was obvious that the wheel was just a wheel, but when powered on, the audible feedback really made you believe that it had small stops or clicks built-in. Very impressive "manipulation" of the brain.
    BeoCom 6000 Cordless DECT Telephone

Having in mind that B&O made this possible 16 years ago, all I can say: NO WAY BlackBerry should re-introduce SurePress (and I'm 110% sure they know that).
    To each I suppose. I completely disagree, the typing on the "edge" you mentioned was a complete non-issue on the second version. The "tricking" of your brain with audible click and such... I've used devices like that and... I'm sorry, while it's a great implementation of "touch" there's NO way it gives the same satisfaction of a real key "press". Sorry my friend, can't trick my brain so easily. Great comment. I'm actually really interested in seeing what the consensus is on here.

Btw, I called BlackBerry to confirm their 110% assurance.... they declined to comment.

Posted Securely Via Q10.
    04-18-14 09:27 AM
43 12