Unfortunately, BlackBerry didn't have enough native app development to begin with

Posted via CB Z30
    12-02-14 11:29 AM
    The original Playbook was promoted as a BB being able to run android apps I bought it based on that promise because I wanted BB and I wanted android apps. Finally with the Passport I am finding the apps to be working fine. I would never have bought the Passport if it was not able to run android since the BB World has many apps missing. Some Android apps work better than the native BB apps.
    The og PlayBook as I recall was released under laziridis and ballsille. Having said that this was when BlackBerry was still a name people liked and they would have never advertised that it ran android much less ran android apps. If you can find some advertising that is not based on forum speculation we'd all love to hear it. And by that I mean official confirmation from BlackBerry themselves that this was the case.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 11:30 AM
    That link you posted does nothing as far as providing proof of the original assertion. And as for saying that the results would be skewed because this is crackberry won't that then net the same results here?

Posted via CB10
    Actually it does prove my point. 40% of users on CB would not be on a BB10 device anymore... That in my mind is a huge.
    12-02-14 11:35 AM
    speaking as a developer, I wish that BlackBerry had gone about this differently, but running android apps from the perspective of a user is a good thing.

People say time and time again here that they prefer native apps, but from my own personal perspective, whenever an article is posted about one of my apps, the number of people who post telling people to run android apps instead of the native app I wrote is proportinally much larger than those saying they are glad to have a native alternative.

My feeling, borne out by these comments, download figures, and BB's general strategic direction is that these protestations are not representative and will not change anything. Android apps are here to stay for the consumer, and will eventually replace native apps for the most part. People tend to go with what ever works for them.
    What BB should have done is IMO provided some big name Android apps through Blackberry World like they do now, but not provide direct APK installation. By making it so easy to install Android apps they've removed any incentive to make native BB10 apps, and the need for BB10. If all BB wants is to be able to run Android apps they should just go full fledged Android. Of course I don't think that was their original plan, which I think was to have Android apps as a temporary stop gap until native apps started to come on board. They've basically admitted defeat with the Amazon App store.
    dolco likes this.
    12-02-14 02:20 PM
    What BB should have done is IMO provided some big name Android apps through Blackberry World like they do now, but not provide direct APK installation. By making it so easy to install Android apps they've removed any incentive to make native BB10 apps, and the need for BB10. If all BB wants is to be able to run Android apps they should just go full fledged Android. Of course I don't think that was their original plan, which I think was to have Android apps as a temporary stop gap until native apps started to come on board. They've basically admitted defeat with the Amazon App store.
    I wouldn't say they admitted defeat at all. Android apps did not kill BBW. Lack of market share killed BBW. Lack of apps are what killed market share. What is the difference if android apps are hosted in BBW or Amazon, or Gplay? In my mind, nothing really. BB knew that native development would not happen overnight, and I agree that android was intended to be a stop gap. I believe even with the amazon deal, it still is. The basic problem is that devs could not be bothered to port over their android apps to BBW. So instead of bring the apps to BBW, BB went to the apps instead via amazon. And believe it or not, this strategy is working. If you read the Passport reviews, you will notice that very few reviewers (except for the cheese loving Joanna Stern) complained about apps. And the ones she complained about had alternatives BBW, she just never bothered to check. If BB can get to a point where all Android apps run well, then most consumers won't care if it they are native or not. Thinking long term, if BB10 can build up a respectable market share then BB can make a strong case to devs to build a native app (and will subsequently list out all of the advantages). This whole idea that BB has abandoned consumer market is simply not true. They need to focus on enterprise now as that is the foundation of the company. Once that has been solidified and they have more cash in hand, they can deploy some resources to focus on the consumer side of things. Why do I believe this? Simply because BB10 is a wonderful OS that many, if not all people are pleasantly surprised by once they actually use it. This OS just needs time to gain traction in the market. We're sitting at about 22 months now since BB10 went live. Granted it has been tough sledding so far, but the OS has improved leaps and bounds since release, as has the HW, pricing, app situation via amazon, and enterprise side with BES. A lot of pieces are falling in place.
    12-02-14 02:51 PM
    Won't quote that long post....
    Long story, short: BlackBerry needs to sell phones first. They are doing it. Then, try to get the app developers.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    12-02-14 03:18 PM
    And with a shining example like Facebook to show the level of quality and attentiveness that BlackBerry would provide in such an arrangement, it really is shocking that developers didn't jump at the chance. ;-)

Sometimes no app (or just letting die-hards use the Android app) is better for your brand than a bad app.
    I have used the android version of FB and see no major differences between the two. As for attentiveness the BlackBerry FB app is constantly being upgraded and improved.

Loving my Passport!
    12-02-14 03:29 PM
    So what you are saying is that developers shouldn't create apps as they will lose money for their apps. I guess you think all apps should be free. OK.

I targeted BB10 native applications because I foolishly thought that BB10 customers are willing to pay for good apps and Blackberry apps were secure from hackers. Guess I was wrong.
    What hackers? What hack? What are you taking about?
    I can grab apk's of any android app or find cracked apple ipa's anywhere. That type of hack you're talking about?

BB10 users foolishly pay more for native bb10 apps with their android or iPhone counterparts usually half the price or free. Ya I'm sure it costs double or triple to maintain an android port.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 04:39 PM
    If you can download a Blackberry bar file without having to use Blackberry World, then that is hacking. Plain and simple.
    Lol and how is Google play or app store more secure?

I just hacked Google play and ADHD inducing and mind wasting game of candy crush

Attachment 318253
    12-02-14 04:41 PM
    Lol and how is Google play or app store more secure?

I just hacked Google play and ADHD inducing and mind wasting game of candy crush

Attachment 318253
    I wouldn't even think of developing for Android unless I was paid to write it upfront and it was to be free. Android is just a open sore.
    12-02-14 05:03 PM
    The topic of this thread is preposterous

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 05:20 PM
    I found decent and free apps like dictionaries from Android application.
    Dictionaries in BlackBerry World mostly paid apps which aren't expensive. The problem is that I have to pay with credit card, since I don't have any (you need decent job to have it in Indonesia
    I really wish that BlackBerry has native apps for
    1. Dictionaries
    2. Voice Recorder
    3. Note in cloud base like Microsoft OneNote
    4. Here Map, Here Drive
    5. Path Social Networking
    6. Instagram
    7. Line Messenger

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    For voice recorder try Parrot. It is excellent. For notes in the cloud you can use Evernote. You can also sync evernote folders in Remember.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 06:09 PM
112 ... 345