Posted via CB10
    dolco likes this.
    11-30-14 10:25 AM
    How so?
    Native apps run better and close when you close them. Android apps don't.
    And people here have expressed over and over again they would rather buy native then use Android....
    11-30-14 10:28 AM
    Nope. The Android apps are a godsend for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 10:30 AM
    Nope. The Android apps are a godsend for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    +1

Blackbird Q10 latest OS
    11-30-14 10:32 AM
    I disagree. I go first to BlackBerry World, only if app isn't here I use Android applications.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-14 10:37 AM
    "Blackberry running android apps is a curse on blackberry world"
    BB made the biggest mistake when allowed Android apps. BB practically killed development of native apps. Very sad...
    Smiley88 likes this.
    11-30-14 10:39 AM
    I always use native app before android

Posted Via Z30
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    11-30-14 10:50 AM
    There would be a huge number of users that would have never bought BB10 devices if they didn't have Android compatibility.

I would have bought my Z10, but not my Z30 and Q10. I would probably have moved over to Android.
    11-30-14 10:54 AM
    There would be a huge number of users that would have never bought BB10 devices if they didn't have Android compatibility.
    You are just assuming that. Can you point to a reputable source that has actually proven it?
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-30-14 10:57 AM
    [QUOTE=blackmoe;11123423]
    QUOTE]

You are just assuming that. Can you point to a reputable source that has actually proven it?
    I for one would never buy a BlackBerry again if it didn't have the runtime. It's arguable that the runtime is what's keeping BlackBerry in the consumer market.

Posted via CB10
    Tabdus likes this.
    11-30-14 11:00 AM
    It is an assumption, but I think it could be substantiated. Run a poll. I would bet my money on a large number of users purchasing their first BB10 device and then when there wasn't apps that they needed and no way to sideload they wouldn't purchase a new BB10 device.

Think about how terrible the launch press conferences would have been when BB had no app partners to present. I clearly remember reading about the Android runtime on BB10 before it launched and most likely would not have bought a BB10 device until I felt there was enough to get my by.

To this day I still get frustrated with apps, but since the runtime has been upgraded I can usually get them over with Snap or the Amazon App Store.
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    11-30-14 11:01 AM

I would have bought my Z10, but not my Z30 and Q10. I would probably have moved over to Android.
    Even though I don't use a lot of apps I would have moved on also.

So what happens when android apps no longer work? I mean new apps, it's a few years off yet but aren't android/Google making changes so all these app players won't work at some point?
    11-30-14 11:18 AM
    Would be nice if the OP would share how they arrived at the conclusion posted... that being said.. pretty simple... pretty good chance that BB may not even be here if not for Android adoption... if is odd how the apps developed for the largest ecosystem out there is not "good enough" for some BB users... sure native is more desirable... seeing as most new adopters come from other platforms.. they naturally look for what apps they are use to using ... there are great third party apps to fill in "some" gaps..... imagine thinking of moving to BB and being told there is no Netflix and not actual Instgram, spotify... you fill in the gaps.... would hinder adoption for sure... the death nell of BB apps is nothing to do with Android,.,. but the simple fact there are not enough BB devices out there to interest developers of main stream apps... Netflix is the best example.. they have made it very clear there will be no native Neflix app... simple... no amount of money or prodding will change that... if BB user base would increase 5 fold you may see a different tune.... in the end .. the more main line apps whether Native or not ,,,, the more users you attract....
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    11-30-14 11:19 AM
    The ability to runs android apps is both a blessing and a curse. We would have next to no apps without it but we are stuck with glitchy apps that don't even run perfectly on android os.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and FF22 like this.
    11-30-14 11:20 AM

Please provide stats/proof of this as I have never seen this in any number.

Native is first choice.

Droid is if I have to have it and it's not made native.

From what I see from BlackBerry and Chen BB10 and it's native apps take second place to Samsung and Droid right now.

Like I said when they announced that Sammy and JC had climbed into bed with each other, wait until the other shoe drops.

BlackBerry hates America!
    11-30-14 11:24 AM
    In my series of one, I followed BB10 until I was sure they could run Android apps. For me, no Android meant no BB.
    That would have been last November or so and a 10.2.1 leak. It then took a year before many but not all Android apps would run consistently and well. Then, there was the method of obtaining them. To side load apps or side load Snap takes knowledge and effort. The apps don't always fully work or are slow. Even patching (Gmaps patcher; see forum) them is no guarantee. Now, my Z10 is getting long in the tooth. It's a 2013 phone now, like an iPhone 4s. No BB all touch replacement and likely never will be one. So, now I'm considering my options. I'd stay BB if they offered a full touch. That's where my survey of 1 is. I just want to use my phone and enjoy it, not fight it.
    11-30-14 11:30 AM
    QUOTE]

Just look at BlackBerry's market share. There is you proof of numbers.
    Mecca EL and mrfreeze like this.
    11-30-14 11:31 AM
    I found decent and free apps like dictionaries from Android application.
    Dictionaries in BlackBerry World mostly paid apps which aren't expensive. The problem is that I have to pay with credit card, since I don't have any (you need decent job to have it in Indonesia).
    I really wish that BlackBerry has native apps for
    1. Dictionaries
    2. Voice Recorder
    3. Note in cloud base like Microsoft OneNote
    4. Here Map, Here Drive
    5. Path Social Networking
    6. Instagram
    7. Line Messenger

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-30-14 11:37 AM
    "Blackberry running android apps is a curse on blackberry world"
    BB made the biggest mistake when allowed Android apps. BB practically killed development of native apps. Very sad...
    Highly disagree. If BB didn't do this, they would be dead. It was means to an end. No one was, is or will be developing for native BB if iOS and Android continue to demand the biggest market share. It was the smartest move that BB could do to get back into the game and it may very well have saved the company IMO.

Don't get me wrong.. I love the native BB apps running on BB10. They are so smooth and fluid.. but I would give that up if we could get the rest or many of the apps enjoyed by Android and Apple users.

My hope is as BB continues to make the BB10 experience so much better that more users will join the platform and developers will start developing native apps for BB. However, I don't see this dream working out for quite sometime.
    11-30-14 11:49 AM

I don't think that's as true as you say. For a lot of people the Android runtime on bb10 simply can not cut it compared to Android.
    So those who would rely on Android apps would move to Android for the Google stuff. But I suspect for a majority of bb10 users the Android runtime is a nice addition but probably would not move if it was removed.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    11-30-14 12:15 PM
    The original Playbook was promoted as a BB being able to run android apps I bought it based on that promise because I wanted BB and I wanted android apps. Finally with the Passport I am finding the apps to be working fine. I would never have bought the Passport if it was not able to run android since the BB World has many apps missing. Some Android apps work better than the native BB apps.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-30-14 02:04 PM
    It was clear in the days before 10.2.1 that big name apps were not coming to BB. Allowing Android apps to be installed was a measure to allow BB to survive by "leeching" to another ecosystem's apps.
    jpvj likes this.
    11-30-14 04:04 PM
    I wouldn't say a mistake, I would say blackberry gave app developers another excuse for not bring their apps to blackberry
    The first one is there are not so many users on BlackBerry platform that deserves attention and it's just because they compare to android and IOS "no. Of users"
    The new one is that blackberry can run android so the app developers would think no need to make a native built for BlackBerry since their apps are on amazon and that is the sad news

Posted via CB10
    jpvj and david7saad like this.
    11-30-14 04:16 PM
    I wouldn't say a mistake, I would say blackberry gave app developers another excuse for not bring their apps to blackberry
    The first one is there are not so many users on BlackBerry platform that deserves attention and it's just because they compare to android and IOS "no. Of users"
    The new one is that blackberry can run android so the app developers would think no need to make a native built for BlackBerry since their apps are on amazon and that is the sad news

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. But if developers were going to natively make their apps for BlackBerry they would at least port their Android APK'S to BlackBerry World, which most don't even do. You need to get them from Amazon or Snap.

There's not a win-win for this. But it's much better to have the option of Android apps then to not have it.

I wish developers would make native apps for BlackBerry, but they won't. This is the path of least resistance.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and anon(5597702) like this.
    11-30-14 04:22 PM
    The first one is there are not so many users on BlackBerry platform
    Another excuse wasn't needed. That one was enough. If you want to know what BlackBerry World would look like without this "curse", have a look at it on the PlayBook, on its best day.

If it were easy to build up a native app catalog, WP wouldn't still be struggling to do it. They've made some headway but even with Microsoft's money it's been a slow climb. BlackBerry doesn't have that money.
    11-30-14 04:49 PM
112 123 ...