I cannot believe that all top executives in Blackberry have not been fired. Blackberry at one time dominated the smartphone market and destroyed Palm. (remember the palm pilot) I have personally owned almost every blackberry made and after becoming disgusted with my storm 1 and 2 I defected to Android devises. All I can say is WOW..Talk about high speed and low drag. My only thought was How come Blackberry can't produce a phone with this much horsepower??..The answer is they absolutely could but management is asleep at the wheel and not listening. The only thing Blackberry has going for them is the corporate sector but guess what ?? Google is creating security software for these business applications and RIM better wake up. For anyone who has not tried an Android phone or even an Apple Iphone I suggest you do. I know all you RIM fanboys will start bashing this but I merely state the truth that the RIM Blackberry products are circling the drain. There is no excuse in this day and age for poorly written software and underpowered phones.
    04-24-11 02:02 PM
    ok, but how do you really feel.

My daughter has a Droid X, she can't leave the house without a charger.

My BB does everything I need it to do, I'm a happy customer.
    04-24-11 02:16 PM
    Cool story, bro.
    04-24-11 02:21 PM
    I cannot believe that all top executives in Blackberry have not been fired. Blackberry at one time dominated the smartphone market and destroyed Palm. (remember the palm pilot) I have personally owned almost every blackberry made and after becoming disgusted with my storm 1 and 2 I defected to Android devises. All I can say is WOW..Talk about high speed and low drag. My only thought was How come Blackberry can't produce a phone with this much horsepower??..The answer is they absolutely could but management is asleep at the wheel and not listening. The only thing Blackberry has going for them is the corporate sector but guess what ?? Google is creating security software for these business applications and RIM better wake up. For anyone who has not tried an Android phone or even an Apple Iphone I suggest you do. I know all you RIM fanboys will start bashing this but I merely state the truth that the RIM Blackberry products are circling the drain. There is no excuse in this day and age for poorly written software and underpowered phones.
    I know what you mean.
    I just enabled 3g network on my BB, tethered it to my Mac and the speed was less than 1 Mbps.
    Before I called customer care, I put my SIM card in my wife's HTC Legend (android 2.2), fired it up, and started the Wif-FI Hot Spot, connected the Mac to the Hot SPot, and zoom...the speed goes up to 3.86 Mbps.
    Called customer care to see if there was any issue with BB to Mac. The customer care agent was "not to my knowledge", so I told him the speed I got using HTC, and he starts saying " Oh HTC is like a full computer and how its an advanced device and how he has a HTC and is a fan. I was left defending my Torch .
    Anyhow I got the Mac to get 3g speeds after finding and installing 3g Modem Scripts for BB on Mac.
    But the thing is how many would be knowing that there are special 3g scripts out there and then configure the Mac without getting help from customer care.
    So I can see how Android devices provide better service out of the Box.
    I should say that with Windows there was no such problem.
    And with windows having the nearly the entire enterprise market, its quite evident why RIM chooses to have better support for Win.
    But yea its quite evident that RIM needs to step up their game. Hopefully 6.1 will do this for them, and then onto QNX . I personally will stick with RIM for the ride. Can't do without its e-mail.
    That's where Android and iOS lack.
    And please iOS fans, don't flame me for the last comment. No matter what you say, I will not agree that iOS and ANdroid do mail better than BB.
    04-24-11 02:22 PM
    I don't quite understand. My BlackBerry performs all the tasks I need it to perfectly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 02:25 PM
    Anyhow I got the Mac to get 3g speeds after finding and installing 3g Modem Scripts for BB on Mac.
    Sounds more like a MacOS Rip. Apple is the one that needs to get that support for devices out there...
    04-24-11 02:33 PM
    ok, but how do you really feel.

My daughter has a Droid X, she can't leave the house without a charger.

My BB does everything I need it to do, I'm a happy customer.
    Forgot about that.
    My Wife's Android has very poor battery life. And she is not a heavy phone user.
    If I was using that, I would need to charge it every 4-5 hrs.
    Another thing which keeps me with BB.
    04-24-11 02:33 PM
    Give him time.

04-24-11 02:42 PM
    However,
    Here is a flashlight app from HTC for Android.
    The Power button in the middle of the screen turns off the light and also increases intensity (3 modes)

And here is one for BB(the first is a pic of the icon, and the second is an actual capture of the screen when the flashlight is on).

Paid $2 for it. Function vise they are the same (no intensity modes on BB), but its just the overall feel good factor.
    That's why I am starting to understand when the Android users trash BB
    04-24-11 02:54 PM
    I stopped reading at "fanboys", sure sign of a teen-aged poster. Too bad it was near the end. I want that minute or so of my life back.
    04-24-11 02:55 PM
    Yes , the power of Android makes the Flashlight faster...
    04-24-11 02:57 PM
    Oh, wow should have resized the pics before uploading.
    Can the mods do it?
    And in case anyone is interested the first pic has been taken by the BB TOrch, with image stabilization on. The other two are by the HTC. And in exactly the same position. Very impressed with Torch's elimination of Camera Shake.
    04-24-11 02:58 PM
    I needed a flashlight, so I bought a MagLight.

04-24-11 02:59 PM
    Hit Camera Hotkey, Switch to Video, hit Spacebar to toggle Flash On. Now that's a flashlight...

Not sure how much weight I would put on the programming skills of Flashlight app makers on the overall OS wars...
    04-24-11 03:02 PM
    Hit Camera Hotkey, Switch to Video, hit Spacebar to toggle Flash On. Now that's a flashlight...

Not sure how much weight I would put on the programming skills of Flashlight app makers on the overall OS wars...
    Its not the app. They both accomplish the same thing. Its just an example of what the Android users get and what we get.
    Just a sign of things as far as overall packaging is concerned. The overall menus on Android and the way they fade in and fade out is also very neat.
    Just saying that I understand where the OP is coming from.
    Yea but don't worry, not changing my BB over a flashlight app
    04-24-11 03:08 PM
    Great tip! Imagine that ... My Curve came with this feature, and I didn't even need a special "app." That's functionality!

moiselles likes this.
    04-24-11 03:12 PM
    RIM Cant step up there game. They can try to but they just can't. RIM can't afford to. They don't have the money anymore to make these big leaps. See their are stories that every time apple sells an iPad they lose money because it cost them so much money to make it and are selling it for less.But they could take the hit because they are as of now the Most Popular phone company. Apple gets a lot of the money from iTunes and stuff like that which gives them back the money they lose. RIM and its fanboys are slowly declining. Its true if RIM does not make some sort of change or figures out a new product nobody has ever seen before than they will probably end up being unspoken about.
    04-24-11 03:15 PM
    Great tip! Imagine that ... My Curve came with this feature, and I didn't even need a special "app." That's functionality!

Missing the point guys.
    I knew about the shortcut, but its much simpler to hit the button (BB or Android) plus your video light times out after 2-3 min, whereas on the Flashlight app, it keeps the light on unless you switch it off.
    But that's neither here nor there. It an example of the concept. RIM can easily push out a fancy little app for these kind of things, but they don't, and they lose a lot of customers due to that.
    I don't care much for the pretty things Android has to offer, but a lot more people DO care about pretty colorful icons and "APPS", than they care about e-mail and connected messenger. SO RIM would lose (and are losing) these customers.
    RIM has a great platform. All they need is to give the kiddies a few toys and they will outsell everything...just saying.
    And pls dont tell me that sales don't matter.
    More Sales=More Money= Better R&D= Better Products for us.
    04-24-11 03:18 PM
    RIM Cant step up there game. They can try to but they just can't. RIM can't afford to. They don't have the money anymore to make these big leaps. See their are stories that every time apple sells an iPad they lose money because it cost them so much money to make it and are selling it for less.But they could take the hit because they are as of now the Most Popular phone company. Apple gets a lot of the money from iTunes and stuff like that which gives them back the money they lose. RIM and its fanboys are slowly declining. Its true if RIM does not make some sort of change or figures out a new product nobody has ever seen before than they will probably end up being unspoken about.
    While the OP had a point, you are just bashing RIM.
    RIM still has a lot of cash in their war chest.
    And they have gathered a lot of Mobility Talent (TAT, QNX, DataViz etc), which also means that they have taken the same talent off the market for others to tap.
    If we are aware what steps RIM needs to take, then I'm sure their executive are more so, and they are doing what needs to be done. The result will take a yr or two but when they do, they will be ahead of the curve.
    Your post would only have been relevant if RIM was NOT changing, buying talen and basically doing the same thing.
    They are NOT. They are changing and very fast. If anything its Apple which is doing the same thing over and over again and there doesn't seem to be anything next gen in their armoury. And pls the argument that iOS is so far ahead does not wash anymore. iOS is old and looks it. Frankly it looks like Windows XP in front of a Mac OSX, and there is nothing new on the horizon except for iOS 4.5.
    04-24-11 03:24 PM
    The difference in the camera quality of the pictures trumps the app and "speed" advantages, for me. I don't use it as a modem or need to dload anything to my BB where the "speed" would make a difference or at least a noticeable difference. My first BB was a huge leap over the phone I had before that, but I didn't rail against the company and hold a grudge, I moved on... Just sayin'...
    04-24-11 03:28 PM
    Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
    04-24-11 03:34 PM
    clearly you dont pay attention to much around here..they were stuck on an old OS.. they have an os of the future which is better than android. better phones are coming..I have both android and blackberry and both have their advantages and disadvantages and neither is the perfect device
    04-24-11 03:45 PM
    I'm so sick of seeing the same "RIM is dying" posts on this site. If one doesn't like BlackBerry leave the site simple as that. We don't need arguments over something as trivial as phones. Grow up!

04-24-11 11:47 PM
    Goodbye RIM? haha thanks for the laugh
    04-25-11 12:11 AM
    What's funny is I have used many Androids, owned a few...even had a an iPhone at one time...

Guess what I prefer.

Just because you prefer Andriod don't mean we all have too....
    Last edited by BoldtotheMax; 04-25-11 at 12:56 AM.
    04-25-11 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD