Hi,

I was interesting what exactly going on in my BB that free memory when i do reset/battery pull?

Is there a way to free memory without doing reset/battery pull?

Thanks
    04-26-10 04:12 AM
    In normal use, many BlackBerry applications are not perfectly-behaved and cause "memory leaks," which simply means the app leaves unusable memory pages behind it, reducing the memory available for use by the OS or other apps. A battery pull reclaims this memory, unloads all applications from memory, clears the device log, and resets the hardware configuration. On startup, it runs just the apps that are necessary for operation.
    You can simulate a battery pull by press ALT+ Rt-SHIFT + DEL at the same time to restart your BlackBerry. This isn't quite as thorough as a full battery pull (don't recall exactly what is different) and if there are questions about hardware it's best to do an actual battery pull.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 08:06 AM
    A battery pull allows the electronics to discharge (those sneaky capacitors tend to keep some measure of a charge for a few seconds). Soft reset reorganizes the system but does not provide that full discharge time. Both processes are useful for most electronics at one time or another.
    04-26-10 08:25 AM
    So cant i simulate the process of "clearing" that unusable memory and logs without restart? what about Options>Security Options>Memory Cleaning?
    Is that the same process?
    04-26-10 08:38 AM
    Memory cleaning is not the same process. Are you just sick of taking out the battery all the time? or is it the reboot time that you dont like? There's an alternative to having to remove the battery and thats downloading a 3rd party app called QuickPull which simulates a battery pull. As far as the reboot time, that's just how its going to be for every BB.
    04-26-10 09:12 AM
    I dont care of the rebooting time or sick of taking out the battery out all the time, I just want to find some way to keep my device running smooth without checking the memory status every day, because how i see it, the application memory is getting down and down and i dont know where its gonna stop!!!
    04-26-10 09:34 AM
    Make sure and close apps when you are finished with them.

You can always hold down the BB button for two seconds to see what apps are running.
    04-26-10 09:37 AM
    im not using apps constantly beside of the defult ones.
    after rebooting i have more then 100 mb and after a week of using its getting down to 85mb... i dont want to check againg in a few weeks and see 10 mb! haha
    04-26-10 09:45 AM
    A battery pull allows the electronics to discharge (those sneaky capacitors tend to keep some measure of a charge for a few seconds). Soft reset reorganizes the system but does not provide that full discharge time. Both processes are useful for most electronics at one time or another.
    Correct, also the OS cannot replicate a power loss, which is why the battery needs to be removed for a true reset to occur...
    04-26-10 10:16 AM
    The simple answer is simply STOP pulling your battery / resetting you phone.

Practice general housekeeping (delete unneeded messages, clear caches, close apps
    properly, etc) and let the system do what it does.

It never ceases to amaze me that people still think of battery pulls / reset as some
    sort of memory management silver bullet. It isn't and in most case is simply a
    complete waste of time.
    04-26-10 10:21 AM
    I used to have Quickpull loaded on my device, and it used to reset once daily. Once I got my Tour, I took Quickpull off, and I only will do a battery pull on occasion. The only times that your device should require a reset is when you install an application that is an upgrade to an already existing app, or if you delete one. You can also reset if you are having an issue such as a glitch with the OS, or a lag, but other than that you shouldn't need to.

One of the things that could be happening is you may have a memory leak caused by an application that isn't properly written. What happens is the app leaves a piece of code active even after you have closed out the program, which in turn uses memory even though the app isn't running. The soloution to this is to simply delete the app from your device. It's troublesome sometimes to try to track down the app in question, but I would suggest starting with the app most recently downloaded and work back from there, once the leak stops, you found the app causing it.

As your device stays on, it creates files that it uses to run more efficiently, when you do a reset, these files go away, and they have to re-generate. Java by nature will go thru and delete files that an app used when it was in operation after it closes out. I used to live by the battery pull, but after reading posts from AG, Reed McLay, and others regarding this subject, I have learned to avoid them, even though they are harmless to the device itself.

Practice general housekeeping (delete unneeded messages, clear caches, close apps
    This is all you should need to do.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 04-26-10 at 12:22 PM.
    04-26-10 12:20 PM
    The simple answer is simply STOP pulling your battery / resetting you phone.

It never ceases to amaze me that people still think of battery pulls / reset as some
    sort of memory management silver bullet. It isn't and in most case is simply a
    complete waste of time.
    I try to do this...but after 4-5 days of use and just the standard apps running, I'm already dipping below 100...only a matter of time before it gets to 75 like my friends. Any solution to get this lost memory back, outside of a reset/battery pull?
    04-26-10 01:02 PM
    Nice Elvin, but I have to admit I learned everything about memory management from
    Reed McLay and Patrick Waugh. Reed literally wrote the book on optimization and
    Patrick explained the memory system better than anyone on this site.

From both of their postings I did further research and realized how correct the
    both of them were.

I too used to live and die by the battery pull / reset but after following both of
    their advice I went 103 days on my Pearl, 86 days on the 8310, over 75 days on
    the Bold 9000 and over 75 days 0n the 8900 without a single reset.

I am two weeks into the 9700 and have yet to do a reset of any kind.

Patrick and Reed should be commended for providing fact based information in
    a sea of noise.
    04-26-10 01:06 PM
    Nice Elvin, but I have to admit I learned everything about memory management from

both of them were.

I too used to live and die by the battery pull / reset but after following both of

a sea of noise.
    04-26-10 01:06 PM
    I try to do this...but after 4-5 days of use and just the standard apps running, I'm already dipping below 100...only a matter of time before it gets to 75 like my friends. Any solution to get this lost memory back, outside of a reset/battery pull?
    You are worried about nothing. 75 - 100mb of memory is very good. Don't stress.
    04-26-10 01:11 PM

both of them were.

a sea of noise.
    Thanks for the clarification, I find alot of good information in Reed's posts, he certainly seems to have a good understanding of how the JavaVM works. I will look up posts from both of them regarding this subject and post links to review. Thanks again for the heads up.
    04-26-10 01:12 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Here's one of Reed's threads on how to increase the file free memory. It's from back in 2008, but all of the information is relevant to increasing your file free memory.
    04-26-10 01:20 PM
    You are worried about nothing. 75 - 100mb of memory is very good. Don't stress.
    What happens when I reach ~10MB? Wouldn't a battery pull reset be necessary in that case?
    04-26-10 03:17 PM
    AG, Reed taught me optimization as well. This was before CrackMem, BBSAK, etc. You had to remove everything manually, I still do it that way sometimes. I also remember Patrick Waugh explaing the memory system and how a battery pull is not needed. Great times they were my friend. I recently had a few members ask how my application memory was so high, I gave them the link to Reed's optimization thread and they loved it....
    Last edited by SevereDeceit; 04-26-10 at 03:25 PM.
    04-26-10 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD