Guys! I'm having problems with my Bold 9790. My phone dies every night in the middle of the night and when i put it to charge it shows me the empty battery with the red x sign through it. I just leave my phone on charge and it usually comes back on on it's own but today even after several hours it did not come on. So I left the charger in and I pulled the battery out and when i re-inserted the battery it showed me a sign with an empty battery with a lightning bolt much like the regular charging sign but in the middle of the screen with a black background and then booted up regularly after a few seconds. So my phone's working now but I was wondering if there's anyway to fix this phone. It really gets on my nerves but i really do need it, well that is until bbm comes out on android and ios. But please help me!

Oh, btw, the battery is brand spanking new so there's no way that the battery is the problem.
    Any input will be appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Raman.
    08-19-13 02:46 PM
    Get Z10

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 03:03 PM
    Turn on your heater and place your battery on top for 5mins and and charge your BlackBerry without the battery same time.. then place your battery in whilst charging, that should work.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 03:05 PM
    Oh, btw, the battery is brand spanking new so there's no way that the battery is the problem.
    Any input will be appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Raman.
    First, Welcome aboard The battery being brand new isn't really an assurance. New batteries can be bad from the word go (not often but it happens). I do have a few questions though:
    1) Has the phone ever suffered water damage? This usually screws up the internal circuitry to the point where the phone fails?
    2) Is the new battery an OEM (BlackBerry branded) battery or a third party "knock off"?
    3) Has the phone suffered a hard or repeated drops, regardless of impact force? Same issue as in question 1.
    4) You say your phone does this "every night", How long has this been happening and do you know (can you recall) anything different that occurred?
    5) This one is a MASSIVE LONGSHOT but have you installed an app that may be causing you some issues?

Oh, the suggestions in Posts #2 & #3, ignore them completely.
    shaleem and beastberry comedy like this.
    08-19-13 03:18 PM
    It worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 03:29 PM
    Get a Z10.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-19-13 03:35 PM
    Get Z10
    Get a Z10.
    How exactly does buying a new phone FIX the issue with the one the OP currently has.
    08-19-13 03:49 PM
    The only time I"ve ever had that problem was with a 3rd Party battery and once with my Zs' battery. After turming it off, full recharge, then back on, no problems after that.
    sent from my Galaxy S lll (*_~)
    08-19-13 04:07 PM
    First, Welcome aboard The battery being brand new isn't really an assurance. New batteries can be bad from the word go (not often but it happens). I do have a few questions though:
    1) Has the phone ever suffered water damage? This usually screws up the internal circuitry to the point where the phone fails?
    2) Is the new battery an OEM (BlackBerry branded) battery or a third party "knock off"?
    3) Has the phone suffered a hard or repeated drops, regardless of impact force? Same issue as in question 1.
    4) You say your phone does this "every night", How long has this been happening and do you know (can you recall) anything different that occurred?
    5) This one is a MASSIVE LONGSHOT but have you installed an app that may be causing you some issues?

Oh, the suggestions in Posts #2 & #3, ignore them completely.
    Okay so in order to answer your questions i need to give you a little back story. For the past couple weeks my phone was being a complete and utter pain in the arse. I was pretty much ready to trash it. The battery would die in a matter of 2-3 hours, 5 max and it had almost constant random reboots. Also the battery level would randomly drop, like from 60% straight to 5%-6% in LITERALLY the blink of an eye and in the middle of the night hence the 'phone died almost every night'. Some times though, a battery pull would fix that but considering that it occurred 6-7 times a day.....I cannot even describe how done I was with this phone. So while searching for solutions for this online after having tried every damn thing i pulled the Micro SD card and woaaaah it was working all of a sudden. No random reboots, battery loss 60% for a good twelve hours, I was a pretty good contender for the happiest man on the planet! and then i woke up and found my battery down from 35% from the night before to 5-6% again, hoping this was just a glitch I put it to charge and once again the dreaded battery with the red x!

This is my problem, hopefully I have explained it well enough, thank you so much for your response and attempt to help (:

As far as your questions are considered:

Water Damage: Nope
    Battery: Original Blackberry Battery, not a third party knock off
    Drop Damage: Once or twice but not recently at all, i'm pretty careful
    By every night: The SD card issue and even when I pulled it out.
    Installed Apps: None that I've downloaded recently but I even decided the once I've downloaded the ones in the last 2-3 months just in case.

Also, today when the phone finally loaded up from the red x screen after constant battery pulls and the technique where I left the charger in and THEN did the battery pull and re-inserted it. The phone's battery has been dying fairly quickly again. I am so frustrated especially after the 'ray of hope' that I received yesterday with the battery life being good.

I'm really sorry for the long post but it contains all the details and pretty much doing everything I can to get this phone to work well, really cannot afford to buy another phone with the first 10 months of buying this one for about $500 )":

Please help!
    Just my 2 cents but i suspect that it might be the battery contacts/prongs inside the phone but I don't really know. I thought that was the only other thing that might be faulty because the battery's new and i don't think it's faulty but i really don't know.
    I'm going to wait for your input and if nothing helps i guess I'm just gonna do a backup and restore as a last ditch attempt D:
    08-19-13 07:03 PM
    The contacts for the battery certainly makes sense but I cannot even begin to tell you how to replace that other maybe a few repair tutorial videos or taking it to a shop.

A couple of things I did not ask (sorry for the ton of questions)
    1) What OS are you on. There are occasions where an OS can do weird things and battery life is in that range. If you are on an old OS I would recommend updating that as a first step.
    2) What are your connections (WiFi, Bluetooth) and is your cellular coverage strong and steady. A weak signal has to do a great deal of tower searching and that will have a very negative effect on battery life.
    3) What, if anything, do you have running all the time. (Not including Phone, BBM, Browser, Home)
    08-19-13 07:17 PM
    The contacts for the battery certainly makes sense but I cannot even begin to tell you how to replace that other maybe a few repair tutorial videos or taking it to a shop.

A couple of things I did not ask (sorry for the ton of questions)
    1) What OS are you on. There are occasions where an OS can do weird things and battery life is in that range. If you are on an old OS I would recommend updating that as a first step.
    2) What are your connections (WiFi, Bluetooth) and is your cellular coverage strong and steady. A weak signal has to do a great deal of tower searching and that will have a very negative effect on battery life.
    3) What, if anything, do you have running all the time. (Not including Phone, BBM, Browser, Home)

Yes exactly, honestly, I wouldn't want to take this phone into the shop and get ripped off for issues which I don't even have which is why I'm trying to isolate them. This phone has almost brought me to the verge of tears.

The OS the phone is currently running is: 7.1.0.714
    Now that I notice the connections aren't very good 4-5 but sometimes 3 as well, very rarely though ): but it does fluctuate. But this wasn't a problem before, I don't know, I did move from Dubai to Canada so maybe it's the Rogers service here D:
    Also I just noticed that I did have Whatsapp running in the background, as many blackberry owners know, the escape key does not close the program ): but could that explain 20% battery drain in an hour and a half?
    08-19-13 08:31 PM
    Your OS version is a bit behind. These are the latest two listed on this site. Have you ever updated an OS (lots of folks here can help if you run into issues )
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...temala-774604/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9790-a-792090/

I would also try shutting down WhatsApp to see if that helps
    08-19-13 08:49 PM
    For what it's worth, I had similar issues on my 9900. Battery would repeatedly drop all the time within seconds just as OP described.
    And I tried every OS available to fix it. Turns out that it was a hardware issue and that indeed it was one of the battery prong connectors that was loose.

Luckily I was able to get a replacement device and didn't have to figure out how to fix it.

As much as Whatsapp is a batter drainer ( I tried deleting this too) certainly not 20% an hour and a half.

Good luck to you. AG has given you some good suggestions...just wanted to add my experience.
    08-19-13 08:57 PM
    For what it's worth, I had similar issues on my 9900. Battery would repeatedly drop all the time within seconds just as OP described.
    And I tried every OS available to fix it. Turns out that it was a hardware issue and that indeed it was one of the battery prong connectors that was loose.

Luckily I was able to get a replacement device and didn't have to figure out how to fix it.

As much as Whatsapp is a batter drainer ( I tried deleting this too) certainly not 20% an hour and a half.

Good luck to you. AG has given you some good suggestions...just wanted to add my experience.
    Thanks so much 'hamsterwheel' for sharing your experience. I believe I am having the same problem as my battery just dropped from 100% straight down to 85% in a period of about 3 minutes. Hopefully I can find a place to get this thing fixed without it hurting my wallet too much.
    08-19-13 10:08 PM
    Your OS version is a bit behind. These are the latest two listed on this site. Have you ever updated an OS (lots of folks here can help if you run into issues )
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...temala-774604/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9790-a-792090/

I would also try shutting down WhatsApp to see if that helps
    I did turn off Whatsapp and it did have a minor effect on the drain of the battery life. The drain however is not constant. It is though MUCH MUCH slower than when I had my micro SD card in there though.

As for the OS I really do not think that is the problem as the phone was working perfectly fine on the same OS several months ago. I shall update the OS just for the software improvements but I am in no way expecting that to fix my phone besides the possibility that maybe a glitch in the phone would be doing this and that the software update would have the same effect as a backup and restore essentially.
    Going to bed with a 75% battery for now from a 100% less than 20 minutes ago, let's see what I wake up to, hopefully not the dreaded red x.
    Do keep posting though and thank you for your feedback. Hopefully we can try and figure out a solution for this problem and help several other suffering blackberry users.
    08-19-13 10:17 PM
    Well, as expected I woke up to find my phone dead. I really don't know what's going on, it put it on charge and it's all charged up in about an hour and 15 minutes but still there's no reason why the battery level should drop from 75% to 4% over 8 hours of idling. ):
    08-20-13 08:06 AM
    Just re-reading this I am of the following opinions:
    Battery - Fine, as you have stated it is new
    Phone - Probably fine, as it is not water damaged, no serious drops or other abuse
    Charging ports - Probably fine since the battery does charge to full in about the time it would take to do so.
    Charging system - (battery, ports, cables) May be a problem there.

What I would do before calling this in for a replacement or taking it to a shop is see if I can isolate the problem to an app(s) or OS issue.
    1) Backup the phone
    2) Completely wipe the device (not factory restore but total wipe)
    3) Reload the OS
    4) Run the device for a day or two without reloading any 3rd party apps to get a baseline.
    5) Reload third party apps one at a time. Space the installs out so that you have enough time to notice whether or not they are causing the battery drain
    beastberry comedy likes this.
    08-20-13 10:16 AM
    Just re-reading this I am of the following opinions:
    Battery - Fine, as you have stated it is new
    Phone - Probably fine, as it is not water damaged, no serious drops or other abuse
    Charging ports - Probably fine since the battery does charge to full in about the time it would take to do so.
    Charging system - (battery, ports, cables) May be a problem there.

What I would do before calling this in for a replacement or taking it to a shop is see if I can isolate the problem to an app(s) or OS issue.
    1) Backup the phone
    2) Completely wipe the device (not factory restore but total wipe)
    3) Reload the OS
    4) Run the device for a day or two without reloading any 3rd party apps to get a baseline.
    5) Reload third party apps one at a time. Space the installs out so that you have enough time to notice whether or not they are causing the battery drain
    Uff, sounds like such a hassle but I guess it is what I have to do to. The only thing that would disappoint me would be if the problem is infact a hardware problem, like the battery contacts ):

It's so weird cause' I've been using the phone quite averagely for the past 2 hours and the phone's battery only gone down 10 percent but over night it completely dies D:

I do however have a few questions regarding the solutions you have given me:
    1) What do you mean by 'completely wipe' and not just a factory reset?
    2) I realized that I had updated the OS on my phone last time with the SD card in so could that be the problem? It was quite a while ago and the phone was working fine earlier so I'm really not sure. Could reformatting the SD card and reloading my data solve the issue or would it be a corrupted file on the card?
    3) I have notes on the MemoPad on my phone and I need to save them, how would I save and later reload those onto my phone?
    Finally, 4) How exactly would I take off and put on an OS on the phone? If you could attach a reliable link that would be splendid.
    Once again, thanks so much for taking time out and trying to help me (:
    08-20-13 11:18 AM
    Wiping the phone is totally removing the OS and all data on the phone. It is the most extreme form of clearing the phone but sometimes the most effective.
    A Security Wipe simply removes all your personal data while leaving the OS intact. Basically it returns the phone to the state it was in on the day you bought it.

This explains how to wipe and reload: How To Load BlackBerry OS Using BBSAK

As to the Memos, I have no clue as I always used a third party app that saved all my memos and notes to the memory card but this might answer that question for you: KB12487-How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows
    08-20-13 12:37 PM
    Wiping the phone is totally removing the OS and all data on the phone. It is the most extreme form of clearing the phone but sometimes the most effective.
    A Security Wipe simply removes all your personal data while leaving the OS intact. Basically it returns the phone to the state it was in on the day you bought it.

This explains how to wipe and reload: How To Load BlackBerry OS Using BBSAK

As to the Memos, I have no clue as I always used a third party app that saved all my memos and notes to the memory card but this might answer that question for you: KB12487-How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows
    The weirdest thing happened today when I was charging my phone. I left it on charge and the phone was charging (died in 4 hours by the way -.-") and then the indicator on the phone had a green light O: was just wondering what this meant.
    Also can I download the latest OS from the blackberry website and then use BBSAK or can I only download the OS from the website you gave me because I'm kinda skeptical about third party websites. I'd much rather it be completely offical/legit.
    08-21-13 01:15 PM
    The weirdest thing happened today when I was charging my phone. I left it on charge and the phone was charging (died in 4 hours by the way -.-") and then the indicator on the phone had a green light O: was just wondering what this meant.
    Also can I download the latest OS from the blackberry website and then use BBSAK or can I only download the OS from the website you gave me because I'm kinda skeptical about third party websites. I'd much rather it be completely offical/legit.
    Use the link. The software / OS is safe and completely legitimate. If you feel more comfortable with your carrier release use this link but be aware it may not be the most current OS version available. You don't have your carrier listed so I can't verify if it is in the list.
    08-21-13 01:41 PM
    Try a new battery!! Yours cud be a dud! Make sure wifi nfc are off

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 01:47 PM
    From experience with my sisters 9900. It was her SD card that caused the issue. It actually ended up completely wiping her device. It had corrupt files on it that the system must have been constantly attempting to access. Her battery would last her a few hours. I removed it. It was a Class I 1GB SD card. It was full. I removed her files (240MB). That was a clear indication of corrupt hidden files. I restored the hidden files. Saved what I could and put them on a brand new 8GB Class IV SD card and she has never had an issue again. Not once. I would suggest buy a new SD card minimum Class 4 or even better a Class 10. Class 10 is almost necessary for any new smartphone ( you don't seem to want a Z10 ) so it is completely transferable to a new phone and therefore not a serious waste of money. Stop using your SD or see if a full format will bring it back.

I'm also going to add that you completely wipe the phone also. Corrupt files on the system can be an issue. Lastly, get a Z10. No I'm kidding. Lastly, whatsapp had been a problem for me before. It froze my 9900 for 15 minutes, made it heat up and then killed 20% battery in that time. I had to pull the battery to shut it down. Good luck.
    08-21-13 02:34 PM
    Try a new battery!! Yours cud be a dud! Make sure wifi nfc are off
    That was an idea but he did state the battery is "brand spanking new" and is OEM
    08-21-13 02:38 PM
    That was an idea but he did state the battery is "brand spanking new" and is OEM
    I've heard of some people wedging a bit of paper/business card between the top edge of the battery and the case to make sure there's a solid connection between the contacts and the battery.. The empty battery with the red X is just the standard iconography to show that the battery doesn't have enough power to start up (that's my experience anyway).
    I typically leave my (sorry.. left my.. RIP) BB plugged in overnight to top up but try the paper trick to see if you can get a better connection (so it's not shorting out) and see if that solves the problem.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-21-13 02:50 PM
38 12