I move around for work worldwide. Once I tried to just work off android as my computer substitute. So that was email, calendar, minimal format doc production. In short. A semi awful experience as I dove in for 6 months no computer back up. Multi tasking was horrendous. Until android improves I won't do it again.

Was a Nokia user for the usability. I forgave the ui shortcomings as I could multi task and so everything well enough to get by. When they dies I ended up on BlackBerry purely by accident. Never considered them before. Now I'm finding it's the old Nokia like philosophy. Usability over ui. Is that a mistake? Maybe. But they have me as they address my needs. I don't play games and don't heavily use all the social media platforms. I want to to communicate, work and get my stuff done. Just the audience the new BlackBerry under Chen is aiming for. So no its not good for the average consumer user. Its business get er done, put your phone down to have fun audience.

Posted via CB10
    So far I am very pleased with the BlackBerry Travel app as a productivity tool.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 06:01 PM
    Welcome to Google: your privacy ends here... :-p

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q5
    I realize that most people don't share my viewpoint, but my opinion is that privacy in any situation is an illusion at this point. Either way, I opted into those services that I mentioned in my post, so Google has my permission to make my life more convenient for me.
    08-21-14 06:06 PM
    I'll take Google.

1. I can use different Android phones to tap-to-pay at different retailers using Google Wallet. I can always see my transaction history on my PC, as well as use Google Wallet at some online retailers.

2. I can download apps on one phone or tablet, buy a new phone or tablet, and have those apps download to the new device automatically once I log in with my Google account.

3. I can search for a destination on my desktop, go to my phone and open Google Maps and have that destination already in my list to navigate to. I can also look up information on the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on my desktop, and Google Now on my phone will keep me updated with any new articles that come out about the Note 4.

4. I can receive a confirmation email about a flight that I booked. Google Now will keep me updated on the flight status on the day of the flight without further action from me.

5. Google Voice allows me to send text messages from my phone, then continue the same text messaging conversation on my PC, as well as across any other devices that I use that have the Google Voice app loaded on it. The notifications provided by the app are the key differentiator here.

6. I can take pictures on my Android devices and have them automatically uploaded to my Google Plus account so that I can access them from any of my Android devices or my PC. Google Plus will automatically create an Auto Awesome presentation from the pictures that I take if the phone detects that this is a special event for me. I can view this Auto Awesome presentation on any of my Android devices or my PC.

I also use Google Music frequently and Google Docs occasionally. I haven't attempted to use either of these services on a BlackBerry device, so I don't know how well they work there.
    1.not sure how google wallet works but it sounds like you're simply describing going to your PC later, signing in to google, and looking at your account. If BB had access to this account as the point of pay device, the effect would be the same.

2.Same for BB. When I switched phones all my apps just showed up.

3.IF BB (or any other phone) had access to google maps and you could sign into it, the effect is the same. You're describing an online service that is simply accessed from multiple points.

4. BlackBerry Travel does the same thing. So does TripIt.

5. There's a crappy google voice app for BBOS and BB10 that allows the same thing. Just used it last week to do exactly what you described. Again, you're simply describing accessing google, nothing more. Same for goes for Gmail. Easily accessed on other devices.

6. Google is an internet company that makes phones, so this is an obvious advantage for them. But can't you just use some other non-google service as a cloud?

7. Pretty much any google service can be accessed on pretty much any internet device, it's just that Android devices may have an advantage on native apps for some of these features.
    08-21-14 06:37 PM
    I'll take Google.

1. I can use different Android phones to tap-to-pay at different retailers using Google Wallet. I can always see my transaction history on my PC, as well as use Google Wallet at some online retailers.

2. I can download apps on one phone or tablet, buy a new phone or tablet, and have those apps download to the new device automatically once I log in with my Google account.

3. I can search for a destination on my desktop, go to my phone and open Google Maps and have that destination already in my list to navigate to. I can also look up information on the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on my desktop, and Google Now on my phone will keep me updated with any new articles that come out about the Note 4.

4. I can receive a confirmation email about a flight that I booked. Google Now will keep me updated on the flight status on the day of the flight without further action from me.

5. Google Voice allows me to send text messages from my phone, then continue the same text messaging conversation on my PC, as well as across any other devices that I use that have the Google Voice app loaded on it. The notifications provided by the app are the key differentiator here.

6. I can take pictures on my Android devices and have them automatically uploaded to my Google Plus account so that I can access them from any of my Android devices or my PC. Google Plus will automatically create an Auto Awesome presentation from the pictures that I take if the phone detects that this is a special event for me. I can view this Auto Awesome presentation on any of my Android devices or my PC.

I also use Google Music frequently and Google Docs occasionally. I haven't attempted to use either of these services on a BlackBerry device, so I don't know how well they work there.
    Google this google that.

I got Googly i's reading this and all the i products out there in the duopoly cell phones have become.

The fact is I wouldn't use most of this gimmicky crap aanyways as these needs do not arise for most people and there are alternatives that are readily available and work great on BB. Music, GPS, Browser, Email, Weather, Maps, etc, its all there, while the HUB and keyboard (things you use everyday) on BB are the best available.

Contrary to herding, having something that the average mainstream doesn't is sometimes a good thing.

And why would anybody want to buy/have all the same stuff as the next person
    08-21-14 08:26 PM

And why would anybody want to buy/have all the same stuff as the next person
    LOL.

There are 80 million of us who use BBs. We are using the same stuff as the next person.
    08-21-14 08:42 PM
    The difference is with Android: there are no "if's", as in "if BB had x, then..."

Android has it, and it works seamlessly. Google Now in particular does a bunch of things for you automatically, without you having to take any action. If I order something from someplace and receive a receipt in email, Google Now automatically keeps track of that, and if there is a tracking number linked to that shipment, it will link you to the tracking page automatically and/or keep track of the shipping status for you. If you are driving around, park your car, and get out and walk, Google can automatically detect that you are walking rather than driving, and will record where you switched modes, and thus can "remember" where you parked and navigate you right back to there. It will pop up warnings when there is traffic on the road you are on, even if you aren't using Navigation. I could go on, but the point is that GN does a bunch of stuff for Android users effortlessly that many people find great value in. I know I do.
    shaleem and 21stNow like this.
    08-21-14 08:50 PM
    LOL.

There are 80 million of us who use BBs. We are using the same stuff as the next person.
    Okay.... we BB guys/girls are not as rare as I previously alluded too. But you read in the media how we are now less than 1% of the population. I say cool!

Exclusivity has it's privileges, including surprising and proving wrong every slack jawed yokel and knowitall gawker, that BB is in fact still around and can do the same thing as their iOverpricedwalletpillagingcrackedglassphone.
    08-21-14 10:16 PM
    The difference is with Android: there are no "if's", as in "if BB had x, then..."

Android has it, and it works seamlessly. Google Now in particular does a bunch of things for you automatically, without you having to take any action. If I order something from someplace and receive a receipt in email, Google Now automatically keeps track of that, and if there is a tracking number linked to that shipment, it will link you to the tracking page automatically and/or keep track of the shipping status for you. If you are driving around, park your car, and get out and walk, Google can automatically detect that you are walking rather than driving, and will record where you switched modes, and thus can "remember" where you parked and navigate you right back to there. It will pop up warnings when there is traffic on the road you are on, even if you aren't using Navigation. I could go on, but the point is that GN does a bunch of stuff for Android users effortlessly that many people find great value in. I know I do.
    Sounds like Big Brother is Watching You. How Orwellian! 1984 thirty years later....
    08-21-14 10:19 PM
    I think that Blackberry is definitely not for the average consumer. I think that on of Blackberry's marketing failures is not marketing to people that enjoy working with precise products. Typing on the Bold 9900 offers a level of precision that that is difficult to replicate with an iPhone or android. Same thing with the track pad. Most people either don't type much on their phones or do not care about typos.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    08-21-14 10:23 PM
    But isn't it true since BYOD started happening, executives "preferred" to bring in their iphones and androids to work over their BlackBerry. I feel like the users on crackberry live in some alternate universe. All my friends work in tech/finance in manhattan. NONE want to use a BlackBerry anymore. ALL have moved to iphone/android. I wish I could share their company names and emails. Ask them yourself.

Posted via CB10
    Brand and personal image has a lot to do with what device they're seen to be carrying. Walk through any mall or street and see how many logos and names are displayed on the clothing and other articles people are wearing, Phones and other gadgets are no different. Watches especially. See what type of watch those same "movers and shakers" are wearing. You'd be surprised the variety you'll see.
    08-21-14 10:32 PM
    In every market ... There are categories for all the products. Everything or shall I say anything thats brought into circulation isnt meant for anyone or everyone. Some things are exclusive to cater to people with certain needs. In all honesty your statement has pretty much answered itself but than again no harm in using a metaphor to make it even more clear.

Its just like cars. All cars arent meant for an average user. An average person wants a car to take him or her to point A to B without any hastle and with comfort preferably with a good mileage. BUT there are cars out there that do the exact same thing but they cost a lot more, drink a lot more fuel and require a lot more maintainence for the exact same distance covered. Thats how things are. You cant complain why armoured cars are the way they are ...they just are they are heavy , fuel holes and pricey., BUT at the end of the day they have a purpose . Thats why they are being made and will always be made cause everything isnt meant for everyone.

I always keep saying this that blackberry never was never should be for people who are gaming and app addicts . Its purely a fluid entity for communication and I hope that BB0S 10 matures into that , just the way OS 7 did. People who want to play games , download apps , take selfies all day long .... there are so many other platforms for that . Let blackberry stay PROFESSIONAL. We need that !
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    08-22-14 12:01 AM
    people just follow where others lead...its what is 'hip'...then all other reasons will be found as to why it is the best, it doesnt matter if the reality is different We tend to force ourselves to believe things to make ourselves feel more comfortable with our choices...
    08-22-14 12:14 AM
    I always keep saying this that blackberry never was never should be for people who are gaming and app addicts . Its purely a fluid entity for communication and I hope that BB0S 10 matures into that , just the way OS 7 did. People who want to play games , download apps , take selfies all day long .... there are so many other platforms for that . Let blackberry stay PROFESSIONAL. We need that !
    Do these professionals have personal lives or do they just exist as professionals? Do they have families, friends, and hobbies? Do they follow any sports teams or consume media for entertainment? This philosophy is what caused Blackberrys market share to tank over the past several years.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-22-14 12:20 AM
    Do these professionals have personal lives or do they just exist as professionals? Do they have families, friends, and hobbies? Do they follow any sports teams or consume media for entertainment? This philosophy is what caused Blackberrys market share tanked over the past several years.
    No
    Android is the best, IOS even better

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 12:22 AM
    I posted yesterday that my Z30 will Probably be my last BB for many of the reasons in this thread.

I like BB10 but the app situation is not good and whilst android support was widely welcomed I also think it means less native bb apps as we are left to settle for the android version, my own experience with android apps on my z30 is that many of the apps I have tried do not work at all and those that do are sluggish and take a good 5-10 seconds to even open. People scoff at apps but apps are how I do a lot of things on my phone and in this regard bb IMO falls short. Will 10.3 bring improvements? It seems so, how big will those improvements be? Unknown. Someone made a good point earlier in the thread about the number of bb10 updates there have been, so after 10.3 how long will it be for the next one? Hardware wise there is no Z50 in sight and whilst the passport looks nice, it also IMO has niche product written all over it. I am also doubtful as to how intuitive a non-qwerty keyboard will be?

So to answer the OP I think BB is moving away from what an average consumer wants from a phone. BB10 remains excellent at messaging though and I love the hub, if android or iOS had something like the hub then I would already have switched and it baffles me that neither has. If my next phone is not a BB it is the hub that I will really miss.
    08-22-14 12:33 AM
    Do these professionals have personal lives or do they just exist as professionals? Do they have families, friends, and hobbies? Do they follow any sports teams or consume media for entertainment? This philosophy is what caused Blackberrys market share to tank over the past several years.
    Exactly the point ...BB isnt meant for such people. If your really into a device that means nothing but business than you buy a BB . If your so concerned about being connected with all the other stuff you keep two phones. Again... BB isnt for everyone ! Somethings are meant to be exclusive
    08-22-14 03:07 AM
    Well I'll be honest, I love blackberry and have every blackberry 10 product. I use it because it's a lot more functional then other phones. While competitors are thinking about just putting flashy features blackberry thinks about how to optimize and save time instead of useless feature. Having a blackberry is also a statement in itself, when you go into a meeting or business dinner when you put your blackberry on the table it sends a message that you mean business and don't screw around. That's what I think guys.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 03:25 AM
    Chen's mantra and rightly so is that he needs apps. The whole idea behind the partnership with Amazon is to increase the app count and free his developers for more serious enterprise type apps. These are his words. Like it or not. To survive, Blackberry needs apps. No way around that. To sell phones you need apps. If phones don't sell they will go away, again, Chen's words. Phones are not the only source of Blackberry profit, the company can exist without them. Sticking your head in the sand and saying apps (entertainment) are not relevant is unrealistic and eventually will result in the end of BB phones. Personally I think with android in the equation there are more than enough apps but that's just my opinion. Passport should help as it will be a much better platform to run entertainment and enterprise apps on. There is room for both types of users with bb10. If not then you should start learning how to use android and ios because they will soon be the only option. Survival is the name of the game.
    shaleem and neil74 like this.
    08-22-14 04:51 AM
    Reading this thread got me thinking about all of the people I know who were issued a BlackBerry smartphone from work at one point.

My wife, father, older brother, two aunts, a uncle as well as several of my in-laws and friends all carried a work BlackBerry at some point. These were super cereal business people, who only used their phone to get stuff done! Now, none of those people carry a BlackBerry. Every single one of them have been switched to either iOS or Android by their employers. I don't know a single person in my entire state who still carries a BlackBerry (consumer or super cereal business person) except for myself. Makes me wonder how all of these businesses survive now that they have abandoned BlackBerry.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-22-14 06:27 AM
    Exactly the point ...BB isnt meant for such people. If your really into a device that means nothing but business than you buy a BB . If your so concerned about being connected with all the other stuff you keep two phones. Again... BB isnt for everyone ! Somethings are meant to be exclusive
    I'm interested in seeing if this approach will work.

If BBRY is truly ceding the consumer space, it won't be because it wants to. Exclusivity by default doesn't seem very exclusive.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-22-14 07:05 AM
    Having a blackberry is also a statement in itself, when you go into a meeting or business dinner when you put your blackberry on the table it sends a message that you mean business and don't screw around. That's what I think guys.
    Interesting.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-22-14 07:07 AM
    Sounds like Big Brother is Watching You. How Orwellian! 1984 thirty years later....
    And what exactly is Big brother going to do with him? Give him more ads? lol.
    08-22-14 07:25 AM
    Reading this thread got me thinking about all of the people I know who were issued a BlackBerry smartphone from work at one point.

My wife, father, older brother, two aunts, a uncle as well as several of my in-laws and friends all carried a work BlackBerry at some point. These were super cereal business people, who only used their phone to get stuff done! Now, none of those people carry a BlackBerry. Every single one of them have been switched to either iOS or Android by their employers. I don't know a single person in my entire state who still carries a BlackBerry (consumer or super cereal business person) except for myself. Makes me wonder how all of these businesses survive now that they have abandoned BlackBerry.
    Exactly.
    That's what i wanted to ask. A lot of companies have replaced Blackberry with an Apple or Android phone. Either everyone got fed up of BBOS 5 6 7(i did) or got involved with Android and iOS so much, that looking back/forward(for some) to BB10 was no more an option.
    According to me, an Average customer is just someone who just doesn't give a damn about a phone, OS, features as long as its serving him/her and. You can imagine them as a regular happy people- probably holding an iPhone or a Samsung doing stuff that normal people do<Not every iPhone, Samsung/or say Android user is an average user, DO NOTE THAT >. And mind you, they are not sheeps. Even they have a good job, they pay taxes, raise kids, but don't really care/or are ignorant about phones/OS they use. Also,
    winning them = winning the market.

See, Android and iOS, along with some WP are already providing so much to these Average customers and Business users with they strong and mature online and offline services( you all know what services i'm addressing and that list is really really long) that they don't even have to look around for alternatives.

So, what is it that Blackberry is doing to make these people go gaga and make a switch? Is blackberry really thinking about them while designing these phones?
    are they are really targeting these average customers, or the corporate sector (with their devices), because both parties seemed to have moved on.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-22-14 07:26 AM
    Exactly.
    That's what i wanted to ask. A lot of companies have replaced Blackberry with an Apple or Android phone. Either everyone got fed up of BBOS 5 6 7(i did) or got involved with Android and iOS so much, that looking back/forward(for some) to BB10 was no more an option.
    According to me, an Average customer is just someone who just doesn't give a damn about a phone, OS, features as long as its serving him/her and. You can imagine them as a regular happy people- probably holding an iPhone or a Samsung doing stuff that normal people do<Not every iPhone, Samsung/or say Android user is an average user, DO NOTE THAT >. And mind you, they are not sheeps. Even they have a good job, they pay taxes, raise kids, but don't really care/or are ignorant about phones/OS they use. Also,
    winning them = winning the market.

See, Android and iOS, along with some WP are already providing so much to these Average customers and Business users with they strong and mature online and offline services( you all know what services i'm addressing and that list is really really long) that they don't even have to look around for alternatives.

So, what is it that Blackberry is doing to make these people go gaga and make a switch? Is blackberry really thinking about them while designing these phones?
    are they are really targeting these average customers, or the corporate sector (with their devices), because both parties seemed to have moved on.
    Well the very point is that they have to at least try (1) the most promising option (2), which is serving a small niche that hopefully exists with products that have a competitive advantage in this particular field. Either that, or they could just as well close the hardware division's doors.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 09:15 AM
    Do these professionals have personal lives or do they just exist as professionals? Do they have families, friends, and hobbies? Do they follow any sports teams or consume media for entertainment? .
    What do any of these questions have to do with BlackBerry? You asked leading, hypothetical questions but didn't connect them with some point you were trying to make.

I can tell you that I have families, friends and hobbies. I don't follow sports teams closely, but I follow other stuff that is in the news. I consume media for entertainment. None of those things are impacted because I use BlackBerry. I can communicate with friends and family (and do it faster and more efficiently and be more responsive) with a BlackBerry.

I can follow news and weather (my BB gives wx alerts and can decide how to do it based on holster profiles). I'm not 22, so I don't use my phone to "consume media", I have what is known as a television for that. Or a home theater. Or an mp3 player of some sort. Or even a tablet. But if someone sends me a video to watch, and I'm standing on an escalator and just can't wait to see the video, I can still watch it on my BlackBerry.

Ironically, someone sent me a .mov file to watch (an Apple snob / friend of mine) and I received it on my Ipod that I happened to be "consuming media" on at the time. The video made on a Mac in Apple's own file extension would not play on the Ipod for some reason. I reached for the older BlackBerry and it played there, albeit in a smaller window. Go figure.

This philosophy is what caused Blackberrys market share to tank over the past several years.
    What philosophy? You didn't state one.
    --TommesJay-- likes this.
    08-22-14 10:06 AM
249 ... 45678 ...